News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Movin' Out 2.6.05

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#0Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:38pm

I ventured into the City on Sunday with my mother to see a show. We weren’t sure which we would see but were trying for DRS Rush. It was a fun day.

Well, somebody stupid (me) didn’t check to see if DRS was performing on Sundays – which they aren’t, not until previews are over. So I suggested Movin’ Out. We were able to get front row center seats for $30 a piece.

Now that our tickets were bought we had a couple hours to spare and I thought I would take my mother to the Stardust Diner. My mother doesn’t frequent the city often so it was nice to take her there. She really enjoyed herself and was very impressed by the waiters/performers. I give them so much credit – they are truly talented.

When I say we had first row center seats, boy were they! My mother was excited because she has never seen a show that close before. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect going in to see the show. I am a fan of some of Billy Joel’s songs but not enough to know more than about 4 or 5 songs in the show. So for me it wasn’t a “Jukebox Musical.” Also I had danced for a good 10 years so I am always pleased to see good dancing/choreography – something that seems to be taking a backseat in new shows today.

Michael Cavanaugh did not perform and Wade Preston was there in his place. I wasn’t deeply disappointed because I thought Michael left the show awhile ago! Wade had the perfect voice for the part and was dead on save for a few sharp notes during Uptown Girl (which was disappointing to me because that is my favorite song). On top of that Brenda, Judy and Tony were all out so their understudies went on. All of which were such amazing dancers, their technique, their form, and their acting. My only complaint about the cast was the guy who played James (Benjamin Bowman), he was fine performance wise, but was at least 15 years older than the other guys (or at the very least looked that old). When he first came out I thought he was playing one of the fathers.

We didn’t start the fire/The War scene was a favorite of mine. Which reminds me…TO THE CREATORS OF BROOKLN: If you want to see how you do an affective War/Vietnam scene LOOK AT THIS SHOW. It was incredible. Another favorite part of mine was the big dance break at the end – the finale of sorts – the scene where “Eddie Attains Grace” where everyone wears white/ pale teal outfits.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#1re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:43pm

So glad you enjoyed! My husband and I are going again, this time our 16 daughter will be with us. She loves Billy Joel's music and is looking forward to seeing Twyla Tharp's amazing choreography.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 12:59pm

ok....im glad someone actually enjoyed the show...i went with 9 people to see it and we all agreed it was the worst show we have ever seen in our entire life.i mean...no one speaks in the whole show....it was a sleeper...Billy....stick to ur music career....even tho he must have enough money to retire plus all the profit he makes out of this horrible production. =(

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#3re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 1:04pm

No one was supposed to speak. Its a ballet to billy joel music! Billy had very little influence in the show. Twyla was given free rain. But it is exactly what it is supposed to be an amazing modern ballet to wonderful music and a great evening!

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 1:04pm

re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
yay!

Too bad about Michael, though.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#5re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 1:39pm

"ok....im glad someone actually enjoyed the show...i went with 9 people to see it and we all agreed it was the worst show we have ever seen in our entire life.i mean...no one speaks in the whole show....it was a sleeper...Billy....stick to ur music career....even tho he must have enough money to retire plus all the profit he makes out of this horrible production. =( "

Did you know what the show was before you went to see it? I knew it was all Billy Joel Music and I knew it was all dance. Ballets are done that way! Do you think Swan Lake is dumb because no one talks?

Anyway, the people who made the show (Billy/Twyla - whoever) new that if they tried to make a story line with scenes and individual singers that it wouldn't work. Then you would have something as horrid as Good Vibrations.

Mom: your daughter will love Twyla's choreography.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!
Updated On: 2/8/05 at 01:39 PM

BwayTheatre11
#6re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 1:43pm

Michael probably left for Cleveland, where I will see him perform!! He opens tonight...

CCM '10!

Roddick19 Profile Photo
Roddick19
#7re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 1:51pm

"Michael Cavanaugh did not perform and Wade Preston was there in his place...On top of that Brenda, Judy and Tony were all out so their understudies went on."

Are you sure they were understudies or just the matinee cast? All of the leads are double cast, as is Michael, so that they do not perform two shows in the same day, as there are two shows Wednesdays and Saturdays. All matinees have a different cast than the night time performances.

Did you get to see Rasta? He's such a beautiful dancer!

No Day But Today

BwayTheatre11
#8re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 1:53pm

Michael is performing the Cleveland run of the Movin' Out tour, which opens tonight. That is why he was not there.

CCM '10!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#9re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 2:01pm

Roddick: Thats what I thought at first too. I checked the playbill; there was no "matinee cast" but the days were evenly split up. Unless they changed the days which they performed and didn't have time to change it in the playbill, the cast that they had for Sundays was not who I saw. There were inserts saying "At this performance..."

Again, they could have changed the schedule recently.

I don't think I saw Rasta, but I will have to check my playbill.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#10re: Movin' Out 2.6.05
Posted: 2/8/05 at 2:02pm

Oh I know she's going to love the choreography, and Michael will be bck from Cleveland by the time we go!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Videos