News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Motherstruck

nightcapriot Profile Photo
nightcapriot
#1Motherstruck
Posted: 12/9/15 at 1:01am

Staceyann Chin is a force to be reckoned with. Heckuva solo performance. 1st act (I know - a two act solo show! bold move...) is staggering...2nd act is a little unruly, but cleans up well and powerfully. An extremely worthwhile evening of theater. Also worthy of note - the audience was made up primarily of women of all ages. Rare and wonderful to see! Go go go!Motherstruck

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2Motherstruck
Posted: 12/9/15 at 4:30pm

How long is the show? I can't find that info online.

Also it appears you can see the show on Thursday night for FREE. Follow this link and the promo code is FRIEND.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
Updated On: 12/9/15 at 04:30 PM

nightcapriot Profile Photo
nightcapriot
#3Motherstruck
Posted: 12/9/15 at 8:23pm

Just got same email - phenomenal value there.

Show ran about 2 hours with an intermission. Maybe 2:15.

Enjoy!Motherstruck

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#4Motherstruck
Posted: 12/13/15 at 2:13pm

A friend and I caught this last night at the Lynn Redgrave Theater on Bleecker Street and really enjoyed it! Normally I shy away from one-person shows, but that's pretty shortsighted in that it can be a very personal mode of expression for an artist and rewarding for an audience. I'm glad I saw this one. 

Jamaican-born Stacyann Chin is an engaging performer who held my interest throughout. She's quite funny in how she expresses herself, raw at times, and honest. She talks about being a lesbian, being black, longing to have a child, and dealing with infertility. Along the way she covers both love relationships and relationships with her family, trying to make a living as a poet and a performer, death, cops, Brooklyn, her homeland, homophobia, hate mail, etc.

She performs on a simple set consisting of a place to sit and a circular ramp, which she occasionally paces like a jittery tiger.  Director Cynthia Nixon wisely keeps her in near-constant motion, avoiding a pitfall of that theater: pillars that may block your view if the performer stays in one place. As it is, even if your view is blocked momentarily, Chin changes position soon enough and you can see her again. 

Ms. Nixon was in the house and chatted amiably with audience members at the intermission and after the show. I have so much respect for her as an professional and as a person. She seems so down-to-earth.

The house (Saturday night) was pretty much filled, and the audience was very diverse, all ages (lots of young people), races and genders. Also, I believe I saw Lupita Nyong'o sitting in the front row on the side. Lupita, was that you? If not, there's someone out there rocking your look very effectively!

I highly recommend checking out MotherStruck! I believe it opens Tuesday.

Updated On: 12/13/15 at 02:13 PM

VintageSnarker
#5Motherstruck
Posted: 12/27/15 at 3:45pm

Just curious if anyone else has seen the show.

Paciencia y fe Profile Photo
Paciencia y fe
#6Motherstruck
Posted: 12/28/15 at 9:07am

I'm also wondering if anyone has seen this show recently.  Are there still discounts available?

tcamp1 Profile Photo
tcamp1
#7Motherstruck
Posted: 1/11/16 at 11:46am

Follow Culture Project and MotherStruck! on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to be the first to know about deals and promotions! You can also sign up for Culture Project's online newsletter! More information, including a listing of post-show discussions (such as Rosie O'Donnell and Cynthia Nixon this Wednesday the 13th) can be found at www.cultureproject.org or at www.motherstruck.com.

"To love another person is to see the face of God." -Les Miserables

tcamp1 Profile Photo
tcamp1
#8Motherstruck
Posted: 1/11/16 at 12:25pm

You can use the code STREETSTRUCK2015 for 25% of ALL tickets, which can be purchased here: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pr/947252

"To love another person is to see the face of God." -Les Miserables

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#9Motherstruck
Posted: 1/11/16 at 9:18pm

tcamp1 said: "You can use the code STREETSTRUCK2015 for 25% of ALL tickets, which can be purchased here: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pr/947252

Tried that, but it said not valid for the performance date/time I wanted. I did find it on TDF for several dates through the end of January. Looking forward to seeing it!

"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#10Motherstruck
Posted: 1/22/16 at 3:20pm

I know this closes this weekend but I just wanted to add my two cents and say how much I really enjoyed it. Staceyann Chin is an incredibly charismatic performer and storyteller, and the show is both hilarious and emotional (I admit, I teared up during one particular moment.) If you get a chance to go to the final performances, I whole-heartedly recommend it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Videos