News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Majestic Theatre Renovation!

brdwybound04
#1Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 10:16am

Looks great! Can’t wait to see it in person when I attend Gypsy!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photos-Inside-the-Majestic-Theatre-Re-Opening-Ceremony-20240910

Strange Lupone
#2Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 10:38am

I’ll be there at the first preview — so excited! But, man, is that chandelier underwhelming after what hung there for 35 years.

Theatrefanboy1
#3Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 11:08am

I already miss the phantom as a tenant. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#4Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 1:33pm

brdwybound04 said: "Looks great! Can’t wait to see it in person when I attend Gypsy!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photos-Inside-the-Majestic-Theatre-Re-Opening-Ceremony-20240910
"

The renovation looks great, but those pictures look embarrassingly amateur. They look like they were taken with a bad disposable camera with the flash on.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#5Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 1:41pm

What on earth is Ben Brantley doing there??  And who is that woman in the red?

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#6Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 2:06pm

Broadway Flash said: "And who is that woman in the red?"

You CAN'T be that dim.  Seriously.

Non sibi sed patriae

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 2:10pm

The renovation looks great, but those pictures look embarrassingly amateur. They look like they were taken with a bad disposable camera with the flash on.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out why everything looked so drab. Terrible photos compared to the photos of the Palace

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 2:23pm

imho Bruce Gilkas is not a very good photographer.  It’s surprising he’s been such a regular hire for industry coverage for so long. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 3:53pm

It's very nice even if the large amounts of cream colored paint definitely make the theatre's design look a little quaint in these pics. But, a theatre SHOULD be a blank cavas for what's actually on stage. And it probably looks better irl.

sppunk
#10Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 6:51pm

I hate to be negative but …

The picture quality of these images is breathtakingly bad. How is this a thing in 2024?  You’d think a reveal would get someone with any kind of photography skills. 

On to the Majestic. It looks drab to me but that could be the terrible pictures. 

Broadway Flash
#11Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 7:03pm

What was that ring they were showing off?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 7:03pm

sppunk said: "The picture quality of these images is breathtakingly bad. How is this a thing in 2024?You’d think a reveal would get someone with any kind of photography skills."

These are not official pics provided by Shubert. They are by a photographer hired by BroadwayWorld who specializes in taking red carpet pics.

I'm sure Shubert will have their own photo/video team in to document the space.

The NYTimes will probably do a piece as well (with exclusive photos) as they've done for other Broadway theatre renovations, maybe as early as in the next few days if everything they'd like to show is ready (assuming there's also been touch-ups in the lobbies, bathrooms, backstage, etc)

The color scheme is very Carnegie Hall.

Updated On: 9/10/24 at 07:03 PM

Broadway Flash
#13Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/10/24 at 8:07pm

I think the renovation looks stunning.  It’s much better than the Palace

Ensemble1726022132
#14Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 3:40am

I think it's not too bad, the color scheme is quite unique.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#15Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 8:29am

It all just makes me sad.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#16Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 9:45am

I love it. Bright, welcoming. Would have preferred a darker shade of paint, but I like its simplicity. A welcome change! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 11:28am

Here are the official photos serviced by Shubert, with lighting & less exposure that add more nuance to the colors and details of the design (and also include pics of the lobbies).

It's been more than 10 years since I was last in the Majestic so TBH I don't remember much of the Phantom-era space!

"The theatre underwent a full overhaul of the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and sprinkler systems, in addition to new HVAC for the entire theatre. Since the start of the record-breaking run of The Phantom of the Opera, with its well-known chandelier, the original Majestic chandelier has not been seen; it has undergone its own restoration and is now back in its proper location to be seen by the public again after 35 years.

Other improvements include newly expanded restroom spaces for theatre patrons, as well as three brand new concession stands. Cosmetic renovations included detailed plaster restoration, a four-process, $3 million paint job, and new wallpaper that matches the appearance of the first box archway in the auditorium. The dressing rooms have also been fully renovated with brand new materials. The exterior has been brightened, with a restored marquee awning and new digital signage replacing the previous materials."

Updated On: 9/11/24 at 11:28 AM

Broadway Flash
#18Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 11:59am

That restroom looks dated.  They said they expanded it, it still looks like it’s from the 80s

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 12:31pm

I actually prefer to think about the 1980s when I pee so I asked Bob Wankel to take that into account when renovating the theatre.

BorisTomashevsky
#20Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 12:47pm

Wonderful official photos. But that chandelier looks so small, it may as well not even be there. The dome would almost be more interesting without it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#21Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 12:56pm

It’s beautiful, yet quite striking without Lot 666.

Why do I also feel like the Majestic was a bit more dimly lit when Phantom ran?

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 1:33pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Why do I also feel like the Majestic was a bit more dimly lit when Phantom ran?"

A good deal of it was painted black for PHANTOM. Plus the false proscenium and show-specific chandelier.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#23Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 6:46pm

I watched POTO over 80 times through the years and am glad they finally put additional railings on that staircase from the lobby. I still remember when someone behind me fell while going up those stairs.

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#24Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/11/24 at 10:11pm

This video posted today on BroadwayWorld is pretty damn exciting!  We get George C. Wolfe talking a bit about the show GYPSY, then Audra and how this is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, and then "curtain up" and we see the theater in all it's glory from the stage.  THEN, we get the whole GYPSY overture, which of course is one of the greatest show overtures ever created!  This finally put me over the edge and I went to the show site and bought my ticket (I've seen Gypsy with everyone since Tyne).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Video-Inside-the-Reveal-of-the-Newly-Restored-Majestic-Theatre-20240911

AEA AGMA SM
#25Majestic Theatre Renovation!
Posted: 9/12/24 at 11:14am

Broadway Flash said: "What on earth is Ben Brantley doing there?? And who is that woman in the red?"

If only there was a caption under the photo that included her name, and her name was hyperlinked to her bio and credits. If only...

Videos