News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Entrance Applause

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#50Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/8/12 at 5:55pm

I disgaree with the poster who said Fantasia in Color Purple. Her entrance does not warrant a massive round of applause. NOT because she doesn't deserve it, but because the first time we see her she doesnt want on stage. She is just playing the hand game with Nettie and most people, I know at least, had no idea until about 20 minutes in that it was even Fantasia on the stage yet. She got her big applause though, none bigger then after "I'm Here"...but entrance applause? No.

RENT comes to mind when the cast initially takes their places across the stage before the show starts. No matter who was in the cast every time I saw it they were all met with an uprorious welcome, which always made me feel good as an audience member- I always felt like I was about to be a part of something really special.

My favorite however would have to be Ebersole at the top of Act 2 in Grey Gardens. Sheer Perfection!

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#51Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/8/12 at 7:36pm

In the Ebersole case, were we applauding her or Little Edie?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#52Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/8/12 at 7:55pm

I think the funniest is Barbra Streisand: A Happening in Central Park. She comes out to loud applause and she says "I didn't do nothing yet" That sums it up for me. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#53Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/8/12 at 8:16pm

Merman in "Gypsy."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#54Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/9/12 at 1:53am

Pearl Bailey's entrance into the Harmonia Gardens. Some nights just the ENTRANCE got a standing ovation! Not to mention the end of the number, which she usually did twice. But let's face it, her first act had gotten the audience primed for it.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#55Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/9/12 at 11:01am

Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit. I felt like I'm on a rock concert.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#56Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/9/12 at 11:14am

My friend tells a story that always makes me sad and a little angry, of going to see WICKED just after Joel Grey and KChen left. Idina Menzel got entrance applause, of course, and Jennifer Laura Thompson did, too, but George Hearn... nothing. I'm not a fan of entrance applause in any case, but if you're going to do it, at least have a little sense of history, please.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

homeimp
#57Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/9/12 at 7:10pm

I cringe every time I hear entrance applause. It is totally unnecessary and disruptive of the mood the actors and director are trying to create. I think most stage actors would prefer applause at the end of the show, if asked. This is mainly a US phenomenon. It didn't happen for Christopher Plummer in King Lear or The Tempest, but perhaps he is not a big enough star. I give credit to the directors for staging the entrances in such a way that applause was discouraged.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#58Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/9/12 at 7:14pm

Idina Menzel got entrance applause, of course, and Jennifer Laura Thompson did, too, but George Hearn... nothing.

That's amazing, since I've seen understudies get entrance applause in that role. The entrance is tailor-made for it.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

DefyGravity777
#59Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/10/12 at 3:33pm

In Hair the Aquarius Tribes last before they left for London. That entrance applause right when the music started was insane and lasted about maybe 5 minutes.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#60Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/10/12 at 3:45pm

When Kristen Chenoweth made her entrance at the first preview of PROMISES, PROMISES, the show stopped for about 5 minutes.

I was there and have a recording of that performance and though her stage entrance DID create an insane furor, it was hardly 5 minutes. It clocks in at about 28 seconds.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#61Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/10/12 at 4:29pm

In the same token, I found it rather silly how Audra McDonald and David Alan Grier received massive entrance applause in PORGY & BESS, but Porgy himself (Norm) received none.

Well, Audra and David are more recognizable due to their other work while Norm is less so. So, it makes sense that they would get entrance applause and Norm might not. You and I might applaud him but Jill from Kalamazoo might not.

I recall seeing Hairspray and Jerry Mathers received entrance applause but Darlene Love got none. IMO Darlene is much more deserving of the two. But, the audience made up for it after "I Know Where I've Been" which was fabulous.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#62Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/10/12 at 4:52pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda when he returned for the closing of In the Heights.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#63Entrance Applause
Posted: 1/10/12 at 5:19pm

I know I always post about him and everything - but when I saw Nathan Lane in Butley and The Odd Couple, both times he got a huge reaction when he walked on. Especially at The Odd Couple. It seemed to go on forever, and I was definitely a key contributor. lol

Other great ones I can recall:
Norbert Leo Butz in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Harvey Fierstein in Fiddler on the Roof
Donny Osmond in Beauty and the Beast (He broke the fourth wall and motioned for more applause when it died down, but really...how can you not love it?)

Not bragging or anything just speaking from an actor's stand point: I've received exit applause a few times, and it's always an amazing feeling. I can only imagine the adrenaline an actor must feel when they step on stage and the audience applauds. All of that being said, it's just not right for some shows. Big musicals or comedies are usually more suited for it.

Updated On: 1/10/12 at 05:19 PM

Videos