News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review

Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#1Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:57am

Sorry to start another thread, but...

I have never fallen so deeply in love with a new show as I did tonight at CURTAINS. As the curtain is set to fall on that other brassy love letter to Broadway now at the ST. JAMES, the curtain rising at the AL HIRSCHFELD reveals one of the smartest, funniest and all around entertaining shows in years, a worthy successor to the kind of Broadway musical that makes a Broadway musical a BROADWAY MUSICAL! Unashamedly basking in the old-fashioned glow of the tried and true, it is so expertly polished it blinds with the energy and light of a supernova. It has everything a musical needs to succeed and so seldom gets: it gets its brass from a fast-moving book and tuneful score with convulsively funny performances to match from Debra Monk, Edward Hibbert and an all A List cast, all packaged in a slick, dazzlingly directed, choreographed and designed production; it gets its heart from Karen Ziemba - honestly, is there any other actress who radiates simply from the joy of performing more warmly than she?; and it gets its soul from David Hyde Pierce, who infuses the entire affair with that ineffable something extra that makes one realize early on they are witnessing what will be regarded as a legendary, iconic performance being created right in front of them by a gifted performer who with this role becomes a bona fide Broadway Star.

What a wonderful piece of work. Get a ticket any way you can. Anyone who has an interest in musicals past, present and future needs to see this - a perfect example of the model Broadway musical. They do make them like they used to. And when they make them this good, all I can say is: Thank God!

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#2re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:05am

Yay! Thanks for the review! I'm so glad to hear you loved it! I can't wait to see it again! re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review

PS Just wanted to add that while it is a "model Broadway musical" and old-fashioned in style it isn't really formulaic. They could have gone that route, we've had backstage muscials and murder mystery muscials before but this show is original!
Updated On: 3/11/07 at 03:05 AM

thevolleyballer
#2re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:11am

Love the review! I'd love to hear your thoughts expanded at some point in the future.

I can't wait to see this show again. If it's anything remotely close to how it was in Los Angeles, it's a hit.

NathanLaneStalker
#3re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:31am

Fantastic review! I really want to see this badly. I might be coming back to NY by November for a trip. If tickets are easy to come by and David is still in it, I will go see this!

Also, maybe Young Frankenstein if I buy tickets the day they go onsale. lol.

Anyway, GREAT REVIEW!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

DG
#4re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:33am

"a perfect example of the model Broadway musical. They do make them like they used to."

For what it's worth, which I fully admit isn't anything, I disagree entirely with this sentiment. I think, as in the case of DROWSY CHAPERONE, this is a piece which appeals to those desperate to like something - and they'll take what they get, no matter the quality. I found almost nothing redeeming in Los Angeles, and the work I'm reading that's been done has been negligable.

I wish them no harm whatsoever - if their project is a success, the more power to them. But I can't believe that this is what's passing for quality creative product, on any level.
Updated On: 3/11/07 at 03:33 AM

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#5re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 8:45am

Seeing this on the 24th....cant wait!

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Yankeefan007
#6re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 9:29am

It's the best musical I've seen since The Producers in 2001.

I can't wait to see it again....and I just saw it last week.

It's a non-stop smile and the feel good show of the year.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:03am

DG---I agree with DG on this. Curtains was pretty forgettable when I saw it here in Los Angeles.

Enjoyable, but forgettable.

I disagree about equating this show with The Drowsy Chaperone, which I thought was brilliant. Curtains was never brilliant.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#8re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:09am

Why do our LA posters assume nothing has happened to the show in the six months between LA and Broadway?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:12am

But my comment was based on others who have seen it both places and said that not much seems to have changed. Nothing really noticeable.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate on what has changed from the L.A. production yourself.

Yankeefan007
#10re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:13am

Best12 - That's the whole point. It's NOT a brilliant show. It's NOT a revolutionary show. It doesn't try to make a statement, it doesn't try to be profound, it doesn't try to do anything.

It's unpretentious fun. You can't over think it.

Oh well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:18am

I wasn't over-thinking it, trust me.

But tell me, what's the point of any "whodunit" if we don't really care whodunit?

Also... tell me what you meant by the whole point of this show is that it's not brilliant? That makes no sense to me in this case.

I wasn't looking for deep, profound and meaningful. But brilliant? You bet I was looking for brilliant. And it wasn't there.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#12re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:22am

There are changes ranging from small to major in the show's book, score, choreography, staging, orchestration, dance arrangements, set and costume design.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:26am

That's not exactly an elaboration. But it's a nice generalization. Thanks.

Yankeefan007
#14re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:31am

It's a show that doesn't require anything from the audience. You don't have to think about it.

When I think of a "brilliant" show, I think of Stoppard, Hare, Sondheim.

All Curtains wants to be is entertaining. And it succeeds. Updated On: 3/11/07 at 10:31 AM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#15re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:33am

I never said it was brilliant. I said I loved it and I gave my reasons why. I never look for brilliance, I'm always disappointed when I do. I do look for a professional, intelligently put together package when I see a Broadway show, especially a musical, and on that level CURTAINS delivered for me. It delivered big time. Sorry for the West Coasters who disagree - I didn't see it in LA so I can't speak to that production. They are entitled to their opinion, and they may be right based on what they saw. Not everybody is going to like the show, and with a smashing success appearing to be a foregone conclusion at this point, there are going to be dissenting opinions and the backlash is going to set in fairly quickly.

But the show I saw last night was top notch and deliriously entertaining, and for me a wonderful new musical has entered the canon.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:38am

I haven't been to a show yet where I didn't think about it, and somehow still managed to love it as the "best" anything.

I "think" about every show I see. This isn't a question of suspending my disbelief. This is an issue of poor writing, thinly-drawn characters, and a few good laughs. That's it, IMO.

Besides, this is a whodunit, by its own proclamation... so we're not supposed to "think" when we go into the theatre? That makes no sense.

D2: I'm glad you loved it that much. But the show would have to be drastically overhauled for me to get to that level of praise. Perhaps it was, but even smaxie's general comment doesn't lead me to believe so. But if it's any consolation, there were plenty of people in L.A. who loved it too.

Updated On: 3/11/07 at 10:38 AM

Yankeefan007
#17re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:45am

It's a musical comedy whodunit. It's not a Prime Suspect or Miss Marple.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:48am

I don't think there should be a difference, if there's no mystery in the mystery.

Also... This isn't the first musical comedy whodunit.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (for example) is far superior to Curtains.

shesamarshmallow
#19re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:52am

For my part, I agree with best12bars. It was an enjoyable night, but nothing about it (not a SINGLE song) stuck with me in the 8 months since. I wish it all the best, but I don't quite understand all the unabashed praise...

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Yankeefan007
#20re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:55am

You're all entitled to your opinion and I'm glad we all can have respectful disagreements.

In the same vein as you, I say that I don't understand the unabashed praise for Spring Awakening.

What I liked about Curtains was that it was a nice and simple show, with simple songs and a simple plot. In a season that, thus far, has had mostly artsy shows, it's refreshing to see something simple.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#21re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 10:56am

Just as I don't get all the constant, "it's the second coming of Christ" raving over some of the other shows currently running, all of which shall remain nameless but you can insert your own titles and draw your own conclusions. Da da da di da...

Updated On: 3/11/07 at 10:56 AM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 11:05am

This thread was D2 giving us his review. There are plenty of other CURTAINS threads, and I've seen some of the strongest dissenters on this thread go into those and also give the exact same opinions.

How many times is it necessary? We know you didn't like it, and we know the reasons why. You're entitled to your opinion, and D2 shared his.

Once.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#23re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 11:29am

Got my tickets for May. SO excited.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#24re: Curtains 3/10 Evening: A Mini-Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 11:31am

Well, I'll put my toe into this pond with my opinion based on the LA production.

I loved it. Was revolutionary? No. Did it change the future of the Broadway show? No. Was it high art? No. Was it a great mystery? No.

However, I smiled for 2 and 1/2 hours. I tapped by toes. I liked a lot of the music (can't wait for the cast album). I thought most of the performances were terrific. The production values were fun. The book poked fun at musical theatre in an affectionate way. It did what it set out to do, entertain folks (at least about 90% of the audience anyway). To me that was a success.

(BTW, the only real mystery about Edwin Drood, is why Rupert Holmes thought that the incomplete source material would make a wonderful musical. The show within a show concept was one layer too many for me. Based on the Broadway production, even with the excellent cast, I was scratching my head most of the time. I couldn't wait for that show to end.)

Videos