News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

China Doll Previews Thread- Page 8

China Doll Previews Thread

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#175China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:02am

Updated On: 11/2/15 at 11:02 AM

neonlightsxo
#176China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:13am

According to Pam herself, she knew what she was getting into.

"He thought I might be a good fit for the play," she said. "I read it and liked it."

http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-entertainment/theater/director-s-hard-work-on-china-doll-pays-off-1.1446124?page=all

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#177China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:16am

I could care less about it. Did you not read the other responses in this thread? Why do you not go after them?

Ripping  show incessantly is a BWW mainstay. Who can forget the "Honeymoon In Vegas Is Still Struggling" thread ? It went on forever. Remember how people gleefully ripped "Memphis"?You have a short memory.

The other end of the spectrum is the never ending praise of shows like Hamilton.I gave up after counting 13 separate threads about it. Can you spell overkill boys and girls?

The first official Hamilton joke is this. You die and meet God (sorry to bring religion into this) . You have lead an exemplary life. God damns you to hell and you ask why . He says " My son, you did not see Hamilton and as we all know nothing else matters"

Hate, the first 4 letters of your name says it all. I do not like you either and I have no intention of trading insults with someone like you. If that does it for you fine. It is not for me

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/2/15 at 11:16 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#178China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:16am

Duplicate post.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/2/15 at 11:16 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#179China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:27am

Updated On: 11/2/15 at 11:27 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#180China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/2/15 at 11:29am

Mr Roxy said: "Hate, the first 4 letters of your name says it all... I have no intention of trading insults with someone like you."

Well, which is it?! Pick a side. China Doll Previews Thread

wexy
#181China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:01pm

Going tonight with my friend who got the 52 dollar tix., Leaving my belt in the office so I don't hang myself mid play...

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#182China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:29pm

Now remember, we mustn't be too harsh on shows lest we be accused of unnecessarily bashing shows (see above)

Carry on.

Poster Emeritus

Tom5
#183China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:37pm

If the stars were aligned right and money was not an issue in securing a ticket I would see this play despite the terrible word of mouth. That's because Mr. Mamet was for a long time one of the Greats and will always deserve our attention. Just not great recently. It also seemed to me that when he declared himself "no longer a brain dead Liberal" was exactly the same time he seemed to stop caring about the audience.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#184China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:45pm

I think the real reason is he is all tapped out and cannot get an original idea. To claim it is political is beyond absurd.

Poster Emeritus

Tom5
#185China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:50pm

I still miss "Things Change" (film) a lot.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#186China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 4:55pm

Just testing the new spoiler functionality...

Mr Roxy is a 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

BWW user.

wexy
#187China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/5/15 at 11:33pm

I will sleep well tonight...

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#188China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/6/15 at 12:28am

Mr Roxy said: "Does it play out the entire scheduled run or does it do a quick folderoo?"

Bad shows don't fold early. Shows that can't sell tickets fold early. And this is selling well... I picked a random Saturday night in mid-December, and it was all premiums in front, scattered regular prices tickets in the rear and some sides, so... the run will go on.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#189China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/6/15 at 10:54am

'Now remember, we mustn't be too harsh on shows lest we be accused of unnecessarily bashing shows (see above)

Carry on.'

i didn't say that, I said you were taking some kind of strange glee in the negative.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#190China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/6/15 at 11:07am

There are so many who take glee in a shows troubles on BWW that it is mind boggling

I stand by my statements so I will merely say I will not be too harsh in the future. If I do not like a show I will just say that, leave it at that and not say anything negative again. Conversely , I will just say I like it and not be overly gracious in my statements to avoid being called a shill. In this way, all my bases will be covered.

Poster Emeritus

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#191China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/6/15 at 11:18am

Roxy you are acting like a drama queen. I only pulled you because you seem to be contradicting yourself. You got angry when shows closed early , you get angry at critics etc, now it seems you are joining in, that's all. I only mentioned it because unlike others on here who jump on you all the time I quite enjoy your posts, I just think the taking glee in a shows failure like you have on here is a bit against what you normally say. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#192China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/6/15 at 11:25am

Have you read some of the other posts in this thread? Some are downright vicious and nasty. They put mine to shame.I will refrain from saying anything further. I saw the Anarchist and did not care for it. For a variety of reasons, I will not see this. This is as generic as I will be

Let us end this discussion now.I will stay away from this thread as I have nothing more to say on the subject.

Poster Emeritus

wexy
#193China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/6/15 at 12:09pm

This was pretty bad, The story was bad. Obligatory Mamet  MF's throughout.  Pacino did know his lines. People looked glazed at intermission. Some left. Touristy crowd on the whole yelling "Bravo" at the end.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#194China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/7/15 at 11:01pm

A friend of mine had an extra ticket to today's matinee, so I did have the opportunity to see the show after all.

I hope I'm not lambasted for this but... I actually liked China Doll quite a bit.  I'm not sure how much my low expectations influenced my reaction, but I can honestly say I was seldom bored, and certainly never contemplated leaving. The plot is certainly not as paper-thin as many here seem to make it out to be: Yes, the impetus of the events is the tax on the plane and the difference between the Swiss versus American tail numbers, but the implications of the one plot point are far reaching, leading to a discussion of privilege, politics, invasive security measures, immigration status, etc. Christopher Denham has more direct interaction and dialogue with Al Pacino than I expected, and there are a few scenes early on between them in typical Mamet not-so-naïve mentor-mentee relationship fashion that were quite good.

The rumor that Pacino is having lines fed to him through his prop headset and reading off of any number of teleprompters embedded into the set could very well be true, but I got the sense today that they're becoming far less of a crutch than they may have been in the beginning of the run, as Pacino was definitely giving a performance, and I found him to be engaging and equal parts funny and menacing when the role called for it. It's certainly true that Pacino's character spends about 70% of the show talking to various people on the phone, but my interest in the conversations only waned when Pacino's energy level dipped; he did seem to hit a low point at about the 40 minute mark of the first act, but rebounded for the climax before the intermission.  The ultimate climax of the play was also typical Mamet and the twist, if you can really call it that, evokes a similar act of deception that Mamet employs in Race and other works.  The now infamous scene that Riedel calls out in his article didn't elicit any laughter today, perhaps they've enhanced the quality of the prop that they're using?

Also, I had the pleasure of seeing Pam MacKinnon come up to the mezzanine right before the beginning of Act Two. I told her that I was enjoying the show very much, and she seemed happy that I thought it was playing well to the last row of the mezzanine, where I was sitting. I also got to praise her work directing Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, which I absolutely adored. My friend also told her that Riedel can go to hell and she got a genuine chuckle out of it.

China Doll is absolutely not the abomination I thought I would be seeing today. Honestly, this feels like a play in similar vein to Mamet's Oleanna with the two-character set up and the constant one-sided phone calls, etc. I have never read any vehemence toward that show, and I'm legitimately surprised at how much people have despised this one. I consider it an afternoon enjoyably spent at the theatre. To each his own! 

Blender2
#195China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/7/15 at 11:04pm

Mr Roxy said: Ripping  show incessantly is a BWW mainstay.

That's too bad.  But seems really true.  I really wanted to come on and talk about the play.  But many people here seem to come here to rip apart shows.  (Not everyone, of course.  But many.)  Out of curiosity, I checked out the thread for Mamet's last original play.  Same thing.  People wanted it to fail for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the play.  And anyone who said something positive about it was accused of working for production.

There was someone from China Doll who was on the board.  And I'm sure he's gone fleeing.  It would have been interested to hear what he had to say.  He was giving us clue in how to look at the play.  I hope he comes back.

I keep thinking about the play.  I'd really like to read it. Still thinking about seeing it again when it's out of previews.

Did anyone else like it?  Or find things in it that were compelling.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#196China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/7/15 at 11:19pm

Blender2 said: "Mr Roxy said: Ripping  show incessantly is a BWW mainstay.

That's too bad.  But seems really true.  I really wanted to come on and talk about the play.  But many people here seem to come here to rip apart shows.  (Not everyone, of course.  But many.)  

All you have to do to see how dumb this comment is is read any of the threads on King Charles III, to name just one recent play that wasn't ripped apart here.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#197China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/7/15 at 11:29pm

Blender2 said: "I really wanted to come on and talk about the play.  But many people here seem to come here to rip apart shows."

If you've not been on the site for more than a week, and your sample is two Mamet plays, you might just have a sense of BWW's view on Mamet more than what the site does. Roxy seems to oppose any show that sells well, since it won't be on TDF then...

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#198China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/8/15 at 12:40am

I also heard the rumor about the lines being fed through an earpiece and a laptop onstage. If this is true it rubs me the wrong way. I know that this is not the first time something like that has been done but it seems like if you have trouble learning lines one should spend more time learning them before the rehearsal process or the rehearsal process should be longer. I am probably starting another thread but I do not care to spend money to see a BROADWAY play where the lines are being fed to the actors.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#199China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 11/8/15 at 12:49am

SmoothLover said: "I am probably starting another thread but I do not care to spend money to see a BROADWAY play where the lines are being fed to the actors."

There is a separate earpiece thread already.

Videos