News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Broadway Real Estate 2024-25

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#1Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 12:05am

I thought with the speculation of shows, it might be worth taking a look at the theaters all in one place. Let me know if I missed anything or if you disagree with anything. I know some of these theaters may be spoken for but not announced but I did not include that. This first post is updated as new official announcements are made.

AVAILABLE IN 2024-25:
Booth (The Roommate scheduled to close 12/15/24)
Circle in the Square (Romeo + Juliet scheduled to close 2/16/25)
John Golden (Stereophonic scheduled to close 1/5/25)

LIKELY AVAILABLE IN 2024-25:
Imperial (if/when Water For Elephants closes)
James Earl Jones (Left on Tenth appears to be an open run but...)
Lyceum (Oh Mary scheduled to close 11/10/24 but could extend)
Music Box (if/when Suffs closes)

MAYBE AVAILABLE IN 2024-25:
Belasco (if Maybe Happy Endings doesn't do well)
Longacre (if Swept Away doesn't do well)
Lunt-Fontanne (if Death Becomes Her doesn't do well)
Palace (if Tammy Faye doesn't do well)
Stephen Sondheim (if & Juliet closes)
Studio 54 (if A Wonderful World doesn't do well)
Winter Garden (if Back to the Future closes)

I WOULDN'T RULE IT OUT:
Eugene O'Neill (The Book of Mormon)
Lena Horne (Six)
Walter Kerr (Hadestown)

UNLIKELY OR NOT AVAILABLE IN 2024-25:
Al Hirschfeld (Moulin Rouge)
Ambassador (Chicago)
August Wilson (Cabaret)
Bernard B. Jacobs (The Outsiders)
Broadhurst (The Hills of California then Boop)
Broadway (The Great Gatsby)
Gerald Schoenfeld (The Notebook then Buena Vista Social Club)
Gershwin (Wicked)
Ethel Barrymore (Our Town then Othello)
Hudson (Once Upon a Mattress then All In then The Last Five Years)
Lyric (Cursed Child)
Majestic (Gypsy)
Marquis (Elf then Stranger Things)
Minskoff (The Lion King)
Nederlander (Redwood)
Neil Simon (MJ)
New Amsterdam (Aladdin)
Richard Rodgers (Hamilton)
Shubert (Hell's Kitchen)
St. James (Sunset Boulevard)

SUBSCRIPTION HOUSES:
Hayes
Samuel J. Friedman
Todd Haimes
Vivian Beaumont

Updated On: 9/16/24 at 12:05 AM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#2Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 12:17am

The notebook seems to be making a go for it.  They’re advertising everywhere, I’m assuming they’ll be around through the rest of the year at least 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 12:32am

The new musicals this fall lean more towards likely available than maybe available. 

Sunset Boulevard will probably close late June or early July 2025 as Nicole has committed for nine months. 

Just my opinion, but SIX and Back to the Future aren’t going anywhere. 

Oh look, a bibu!

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#4Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 12:34am

I can't speculate on what's coming in, where, and when. But I have an inkling about what's going and when. And I have been wrong many times but based on trends, history, and box office grosses my thoughts are:

The Notebook is making a go of it but I don't see them going into the fall. The business just isn't there.  Gone by Labor Day is my guess.

Water for Elephants could be right behind but with Grant Gustin leaving September 1, I'm curious as to who they might have as his replacement. Either way, at the very latest I see it lasting through the holidays and closing shortly after the new year.

Same goes for Great Gatsby.  It's doing really strong business now but I believe it's to do with star power (I guess Jeremy and Eva are box office draws now?) as well as its recognizable name and it's A++ marketing. It's definitely going past Labor Day at this point. The fall months will give us more clues as to its fate and longevity.

I'm still of the opinion that Back to the Future will have a strong summer before losing a lot of steam in the fall. It has already shown signs this spring so I venture that it too will close out shortly after the holidays. I still also have a feeling that & Juliet is on its last legs and will also have a January closing.

I am curious about the trajectory of Suffs. I imagine they want to push through election season but similar to Gatsby, we'll need more data from the summer grosses to see exactly where it's heading.

But these are just my midnight thoughts...

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#5Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:16am

I don’t think Jeremy and Eva are driving Gatsby sales the way Broadway stans and the show portrays to be a driving factor (I just don’t think they are huge names outside of theatre, it’s like saying people who aren’t fans of Broadway are going to see Back to the Future for Rodger Bart and not because it’s Back to the Future) but this show has obviously done a lot for their name recognition and that will only continue to grow over their careers outside the theatre bubble.

Forgive my bluntness but tourists are dumb and lack patience. They want glamour and that is the entire identity and makeup of shows like Gatsby or Aladdin or Moulin Rouge — there is a reason they are all grossing millions. Especially after the 2013 film, it is just such an easy sell point blank. Jeremy and Eva are just bonuses and are keeping actual theatre stans partial to the show.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 01:16 AM

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#6Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:36am

EDSOSLO858 said: "The new musicals this fall lean more towards likely available than maybe available.

Sunset Boulevard will probably closelate June or early July2025 as Nicole has committed for nine months.

Just my opinion, butSIXandBack to the Futurearen’t going anywhere.
"

I think both Six and BTTF are slowing for sure but one’s operating expenses are exorbitantly higher than the other (the higher being BTTF). Kevin McCollum didn’t put out two (or was it three?) concurrent touring productions for nothing, the Six business model is genius as it’s so cheap to run and they know that. I think it will be around for years, even to the point where it starts grossing 500/600k per week and can still sustain itself for however much longer they want to keep it going.

MysteriousLady
#7Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:41am

As of now, the only open theaters for the fall are the Lyceum and the Nederlander? I wonder what might go there. 

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#8Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:34am

I would also put that the Hayes is a subscription house as it is owned by Second Stage and is booked after their rental production of Job. They announced a few weeks ago that Cult of Love begins in November 2024.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 03:34 AM

bigbelterbaby
#9Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:37am

Oh Mary will hopefully extend til the end of the year at least. 

Stereophonic could go open-ended if it still has high crowds. 

You forgot Helen Hayes is a subscription house, their first show of the season is Cult of Love. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#10Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 4:01am

"Tourists are dumb," says the person who misspells Roger.

Broadway Flash
#11Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 6:29am

And lots of theatre stans hate the great gatsby.  I also think it’s nonsense to say it’s an easy sell. How many popular titles like Groundhog Day or Mrs Doubtfire have we seen flop on Broadway?  Cabaret is a glamorous show and the producers feel like it can’t run on its title alone. They need stars.  I think Jeremy and Eva are a huge draw for people. 

chrishuyen
#12Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:00am

I'd build in room for both Stereophonic and Oh Mary (depending on Escola's availability) to extend.  Of course, I doubt Oh Mary would extend all the way to April, but I think it could go well into the fall if it catches on as well as it did off Broadway.  Stereophonic we'll have to see once the summer settles down and we get into the fall slump but I wouldn't rule it out.

Notebook I'm guessing remains open until January at the latest, but my bet is also that it'll close around Labor Day.  Gatsby I think has steam until at least January (the fall will also be interesting to see) and Suffs as well (assuming they get a bump around election time with some well-placed marketing).  Water for Elephants is a bigger question for me since I'm not convinced it was selling that much due to Grant Gustin, but we'll see I suppose.  I'd expect them to try running through January as well.

If Hadestown continues casting as it has, I don't really see it going anywhere soon, but I think Back to the Future might also pack up after the holidays.

Broadway Flash
#13Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:35am

Six just went on sale through April 6.  Is The Wiz gonna extend?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:47am

THE WIZ is not extending. It has been advertising its Aug 18 closing date for months, and ELF is rumored to be going into the Marquis this holiday season.

Broadway Flash
#15Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:50am

I wonder why they wouldn’t extend. It’s selling so well

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 11:56am

Notebook feels like the only real possibility for a Labor Day closing as of right now

We're coming up on the time of year when GMs run simulations and producers & landlords make the tough choice of "do we pack it up on Labor Day" or "is it worth it to suffer through the fall if we can have a great Thanksgiving-New Years corridor?" But unless something has an awful advance, all look ok for the moment.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 12:50pm

Broadway Flash said: "I wonder why they wouldn’t extend. It’s selling so well"

That's a little perplexing to me too because it could do big business around the holidays! I don't know.

JSquared2
#18Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:13pm

Yes, ELF at the Marquis this holiday season is the rumor -- and Josh Gad just went live on IG to say that he'll have a big announcement tomorrow morning -- so it seems to be happening.

Broadway Flash
#19Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:25pm

It’s perplexing especially the fact that they’re not even going to Labor Day.  As far as Elf is concerned. I don’t understand this.  Thats a big musical, how can they turn a profit in just 10 weeks. I’m assuming it’ll be a short limited engagement. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 1:27pm

Broadway Flash said: "I wonder why they wouldn’t extend. It’s selling so well"

The Wiz is going back out on tour. That was the producers plan from the beginning. 6 month Broadway run in-between touring. Cox probably doesn't do the second year of the tour.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 2:34pm

ACL2006 said: "Broadway Flash said: "I wonder why they wouldn’t extend. It’s selling so well"

The Wiz is going back out on tour. That was the producers plan from the beginning. 6 month Broadway run in-between touring. Cox probably doesn't do the second year of the tour.
"

The tour does not resume until February, which is why the lack of extension is perplexing. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#22Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:13pm

I updated the first post to add the Hayes to Subscription Houses. Thanks for the reminder!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 3:57pm

JSquared2 said: "Yes, ELF at the Marquis this holiday season is the rumor -- and Josh Gad just went live on IG to say that he'll have a big announcement tomorrow morning -- so it seems to be happening."

...has Josh Gad been rumored to be in ELF? I didn't expect they'd get anyone remotely notable for it, but he'd both help sales for family audiences and add a level of legitimacy for the snobs.

Updated On: 7/8/24 at 03:57 PM

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#24Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 6:11pm

LuckyDipster said: ""Tourists are dumb,"says the person who misspellsRoger."

Got me there haha

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#25Broadway Real Estate 2024-25
Posted: 7/8/24 at 6:52pm

I thought they’re a contracted six month break before going back on tour. The cast only had a two week break between tour and Broadway rehearsals. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Videos