News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 1:16pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 8/11/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: ILLINOISE (8.1%), SIX (3%), ALADDIN (1.1%), WICKED (1.1%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (0.9%), THE WIZ (0.7%), HADESTOWN (0.6%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (0.4%), THE GREAT GATSBY (0.4%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: SUFFS (-6.8%), JOB (-6.1%), THE NOTEBOOK (-5.6%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-4.5%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (-4.1%), CHICAGO (-1.5%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.4%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1.4%), & JULIET (-1.3%), ONCE UPON A MATTRESS (-1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-0.5%), THE OUTSIDERS (-0.3%), HAMILTON (-0.2%), HELL'S KITCHEN (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

pablitonizer
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 1:24pm

The Notebook can't keep holding on much longer with those numbers, labor day closing? 

W4E and Suffs also seem to be drying out...

Ptero2
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 1:24pm

Was really expecting Suffs to get a boost due to the enthusiasm around recent political news. Ouch. 

InTheBathroom1
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 1:33pm

Great closing week for Illinoise. Honestly a very respectable run, especially for being a last-minute addition. I hope they decide to tour it in some capacity. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 1:34pm

Illinoise ended real strong!

I do find it encouraging that grosses are up about 6.5% this season 12 weeks in, compared to the last at this point. Granted, we’ve yet to experience the fall and winter slumps, but there’s also some BIG-TIME star power joining the boards as the weeks go by, and more still to be announced.  

The disparity between the newer productions and pre-pandemic mainstays needs to be addressed, though. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 8/13/24 at 01:34 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 1:57pm

Really hope SUFFS can hold on through the election as they’re counting on that. 

I’m pleased to see Stereophonic continue to play to sold out houses! 

As others have said, I can’t see The Notebook making it through the fall. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 2:02pm

The Wiz is such an interesting case. It's doing so well that I wonder if they might try to bring it back through in the next couple years since it's already the touring production. 

I have NO idea if that's possible, but it tickles my brain.

Jarethan
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 2:08pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Illinoiseended real strong!

I do find it encouraging that grosses are up about 6.5% this season 12 weeks in, comparedto the last at this point. Granted, we’ve yet to experience the fall and winter slumps, but there’s also some BIG-TIME star power joining the boards as the weeks go by, and more still to be announced.

The disparity between the newer productions and pre-pandemic mainstays needs to be addressed, though.

I think the disparity is unfortunate, but I don’t see how you ‘address’ it.  Tourists unfortunately want sure things, especially given ticket prices. 

I am assuming that we are going to be hearing about The Notebook, WFE, BTTF and probably Suggs closing in the next month or two, unless one of them rebounds after Labor Day, the way MR did after its first season.  Could see that being possible with Suffs, not the others.

Ironically, some of the people who invested in these shows which will lose money, were probably hoping for the next super-long-runner, so maybe we should be perversely happy that they run decade year after year / decade after decade.

Look like moving OUAM to Broadway may have been a mistake.  Hope not.  

Updated On: 8/13/24 at 02:08 PM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 2:10pm

Ptero2 said: "Was really expecting Suffs to get a boost due to the enthusiasm around recent political news. Ouch."

Really think this is why it’s NOT doing well. People are trying to escape from politics.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 2:15pm

Suffs is an interesting question. On the one hand, I obviously get the election tie-in, but on the other there is an overload issue. With folks getting increasingly focused on the election IRT, the historical may take a back seat.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 2:53pm

I don't know that it's so much people looking to escape as it is that Suffs is kind of stuck in the middle. They haven't really overtly marketed based on the current political landscape, which I get because they don't want to alienate a whole group of theatergoers or make it seem like their show is specifically tied to a current event. But by not doing so, they are probably limiting the potential effect of the current events on the box office. 

Updated On: 8/13/24 at 02:53 PM

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 2:54pm

Not trying to be disparaging, but those BTTF numbers make me question how it will manage to get through the fall to the holidays. I was told by a solid source that Boop! was very interested in the Winter Garden, but when they announced the Broadhurst I thought well, BTTF is safe to continue skirting by (for now).

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 3:00pm

HogansHero said: "Suffs is an interesting question. On the one hand, I obviously get the election tie-in, but on the other there is an overload issue. With folks getting increasingly focused on the election IRT, the historical may take a back seat."

This. People keep bringing up the election as something that could increase its numbers, but I think current events are far more interesting to most of the general public than what's portrayed on stage. If anything, this is a moment to flock to escapism.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 3:20pm

scripps said: "Not trying to be disparaging, but those BTTF numbers make me question how it will manage to get through the fall to the holidays. I was told by a solid source that Boop! was very interested in the Winter Garden, but when they announced the Broadhurst I thought well, BTTF is safe to continue skirting by (for now)."

If the running cost is indeed ~ $1 million a week, then they've made profit 44 weeks, lost money 9 weeks, and fell somewhere in the middle for about 8 weeks.

A first-week-of-January closing date would be a logical "get out before you lose major money" move. Even if it has some bad weeks this fall, it can probably make up for losses in the Thanksgiving to Christmas corridor. The real money for this show can be made on the road, where the houses are larger, it's on a subscription, and single-ticket buyers flock to this schlock.

I suppose they could try to stunt-cast Doc Brown, but I don't really see anyone except B-C listers finding that attractive. Some of the lower-tier SNL alums perhaps. At almost 86, Christopher Lloyd doesn't feel viable...had he wanted to do it, I'm sure they gladly would have let him open the show.

BOOP! landing at the Broadhurst is probably for the best.

OTHELLO is the rare play that could make a lot of money at the Imperial or Winter Garden.

Updated On: 8/13/24 at 03:20 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 3:58pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "HogansHero said: "Suffs is an interesting question. On the one hand, I obviously get the election tie-in, but on the other there is an overload issue. With folks getting increasingly focused on the election IRT, the historical may take a back seat."

This. People keep bringing upthe election as something that could increase its numbers, but I think current events are far more interesting to most of the general public than what's portrayed on stage. If anything, this is a moment to flock to escapism.
"

Agreed. The Olympic ratings were way up this year and In articles I read they were saying it was partly due to people wanting a break from politics and the election.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 8/14/24 at 03:58 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 4:07pm

Suffs might get a boost if Harris wins the election. But it has to make it there and I also agree that folks seeing a Broadway show will largely want to avoid thinking about politics for a few hours.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 4:24pm

They don’t want politics and yet Hamilton, Outsiders, Great Gatsby, and Cabaret are making BANK.  

chrishuyen
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 4:26pm

Broadway Flash said: "They don’t want politics and yet Hamilton, Outsiders, Great Gatsby, and Cabaretare making BANK."

There are still escapist qualities in each one of those whereas Suffs is more directly tied to elections and voting.  I'm pretty sure the majority of people going to Gatsby/Cabaret aren't going for the politics

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 4:32pm

I would say Suffs has that escapist quality too.  The comedy, the lovely melodies, the gorgeous costumes. It makes you want to live in that world.  I would think outsiders would be much more off putting for people who don’t want politics.    

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 5:17pm

Broadway Flash said: "I would say Suffs has that escapist qualitytoo. The comedy, the lovely melodies, the gorgeous costumes. It makes you want to live in that world. I would think outsiders would be much more off putting for people who don’t want politics."

I don't think a musical can be escapist while forcing you to reconcile with America's history, enjoyable as much of act one is. It cannot escape the post-Obama, early-Trump days of 2017-18 (even though it premiered years after that).

SUFFS offers a less accessible, more partisan, more political view of America's history than something like HAMILTON. SUFFS is and will always be a political show. HAMILTON's campaign does not wear politics on its sleeve, and neither do those other so-called "political" musicals.

Updated On: 8/13/24 at 05:17 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 5:24pm

So happy for ILLINOISE!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ChiDoc Profile Photo
ChiDoc
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 6:02pm

Broadway Flash said: "I would say Suffs has that escapist qualitytoo. The comedy, the lovely melodies, the gorgeous costumes. It makes you want to live in that world. I would think outsiders would be much more off putting for people who don’t want politics."

The issue is in framing.  I hope to see Suffs if it’s open by my next trip, as I loved the cast album, but things like their Tony performance and the general marketing make it seem less escapist than it may be.  Not that a Tony performance is make or break anyway, but Keep Marching out of context made it seem entirely didactic, and it may be an image they’re going to struggle to shed.

Zeppie2022
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 6:52pm

"I’m pleased to see Stereophonic continue to play to sold out houses! "

I agree, saw it couple of months ago and loved it!!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 8:12pm

3/4 of the plays on Broadway currently are selling out. JOB is the odd show out here, unfortunately.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/11/24
Posted: 8/13/24 at 8:28pm

Do we know if Job is hitting its weekly expenses? I genuinely don't know for a production this small without big names.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos