News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Avenue Q question

teth Profile Photo
teth
#0Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:57am

I know that near the end, they pass a hat (or something) around for "donations". Does the first few rows of the orchestra level get it or only one row or where? And, I've read that they come out and grab stuff from you? If that's true, do they go to the roughly the same seats or...?

ProducersFan
#1re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:13pm

I was sitting in the third row, and knew it was coming, so I held up my money. Natalie (Gary Coleman) instantly came over and from the stage leaned over and I got to put the money in her hat. She gave me a huge smile and a big thumbs up, which was just awesome. re: Avenue Q question No one around me knew what the heck was going on.

If you have money and hold it up, the cast will do what they can to come to you. I think two of the cast members go out into the middle aisle of the orchestra, one or two cast members take care of the first few rows. And I know that the understudies take care of the mezz level - at least they did when Barrett was understudying John.

When I saw it nothing was taken from anyone, but if you have special things to give them during "The Money Song" they will take them, as long as they see it. Just hold it up high!

Hope this helps!
~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#2re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:32pm

They also pass the had in the mezz.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:35pm

It is fun. I usually wave dollars at Natalie. She gives me a big thumbs up! It is really adorable.
I would love the puppets to take my money, no such luck.
re: Avenue Q question
Updated On: 6/27/05 at 12:35 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#4re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:17pm

I sat in the mezz and had money and they had puppets come and take it.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

JohnnysGurl Profile Photo
JohnnysGurl
#5re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 4:47pm

they didnt really give me a choice. barrett took my purse. he gave it back tho re: Avenue Q question

#6re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:14pm

I think my daughter handed in Monopoly money with loves notes to John written on it. The cast must look at the stuff collected because at stage door, John knew about it.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#7re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:22am

I gave my cash to Ann and Jordan
they were dancing in the aisles re: Avenue Q question

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#8re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:35am

Both times I've seen it they pretend to run off with someone's purse, usually a patron in the front row of the section. The understudies take care of the mezzanine.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

surefinewhatever Profile Photo
surefinewhatever
#9re: Avenue Q question
Posted: 6/28/05 at 1:15am

When I went, I was sitting in the front mezz. Like everyone else said, the understudies come up to the mezz w/ puppets and takes donations. At the time i went, Barrett was still the understudy for John. He came up with the Nicky puppet and pretended to steal my little brother's bag from him. I noticed some of the understudies went all the way to the back, so I guess they try to cover as many ppl as possible.

" I don't cause commotions, I am one."

Videos