News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 39

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

OMG U Guyz
#950Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 1:43pm

corninthesky said: "Is it normal for a production to still be looking for leading roles mere days before their first rehearsal?"

Yes 

JSquared2
#951Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 1:46pm

corninthesky said: "Is it normal for a production to still be looking for leading roles mere days before their first rehearsal?"

People relax...the show is fully cast.  There will be an announcement very shortly.

saxpower
#952Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 1:50pm

Could one of the actors currently be involved in something else and the Gypsy announcement can't be made until either the person in question announces their departure or the other show announces closing? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#953Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 1:51pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Interesting. If several A-listers have indeed declined the role of Herbie, it will probably end up being Corey Stoll or someone like that."

Tom Kirdahy & Mara Isaacs would be lucky to get Corey Stoll (who arguably means more to the general public than Audra does and whose agents would undoubtably demand equal terms & billing). He also just declined 9 months of lucrative film & TV work for another Broadway run.

At this late stage in the game, someone on the level of Danny Burstein would be a best-case scenario –– and if he says no, then it's time to go after someone like Martin Moran or Adam Grupper.

This is a self-inflicted problem, of course, because if the producers didn't feel Audra could meaningfully sustain the box office to recoupment on her own (which I don't believe she can but I hope to be proven wrong), they shouldn't have cast her in the first place, or they shouldn't have scheduled the production without a Herbie & Louise contracted. But as I and others have said, I don't know what led them to think that Herbie could attract a star. It's a nice part but not the type of role that most legitimately-famous actors should want to do for 9 months, in a revival that is being billed as AUDRA GYPSY.

No. Sometimes it happens for replacements or out-of-towns, and these producers might have had luck with last-minute Hail Marys for Little Shop and Hadestown replacements.

(This all merely going by the rumor mill; for all we know they could be fully cast)

Updated On: 9/18/24 at 01:51 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#954Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 2:23pm

“But as I and others have said, I don't know what led them to think that Herbie could attract a star.”

1) See Queen of Versailles / F. Murray Abraham

2) It’s not like you need to tap dance & belt a high F while suspended 50ft in the air. It’s a fairly simple paycheck for a star who has the availability and want/need to work. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#955Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 2:31pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "“But as I and others have said, I don't know what led them to think that Herbie could attract a star.”

1) See Queen of Versailles / F. Murray Abraham

We're talking about actual stars here. FMA is bringing very very little to the box office of QoV –– and they also have the benefit of Kristin meaning more to the general public than Audra. FMA also developed the role and was contracted prior to it going on sale, as opposed to trying to make a deal weeks before rehearsal begins.

2) It’s not like you needto tap dance & belt a high F while suspended 50ft in the air. It’s a fairly simple paycheck for a star who has the availability and want/need to work."

yup, and anyone who actually means something at the box office probably has plenty of other Broadway offers, an agent who fights for them, and can earn more on film/TV instead of playing second-banana to Audra. It's also a commitment of 6-12 months.

The industry has changed drastically since the days when the Kenley Players could get Don Ameche to play Beau in MAME for a couple of weeks in the summer (a role that makes Herbie look like Hamlet) simply because he was desperate for work.

Updated On: 9/18/24 at 02:31 PM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#957Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 5:56pm

Certainly seems like Burstein.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#958Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 6:00pm

Douglas Hodge? 

GiantsInTheSky2
#959Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 6:00pm

Kad said: "Certainly seems like Burstein."

It was the ears for me.

My only other guess (based on this visual) would be Patinkin, but he’s on tour through 11/16 and back out in February with scattered dates through the spring. It could be done, but I think Burstein is more likely.

Updated On: 9/18/24 at 06:00 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#960Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 6:07pm

Adam Feldman is getting his wish, it is Burstein. 

I've also been told Joy Woods is Louise but I still don't believe she'll drop out of Ragtime AND leave Notebook prematurely for this. Then again, stranger things have happened before...

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/18/24 at 06:07 PM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#961Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 6:08pm

I think they used this photoAudra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!

Dolly80
#962Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 6:26pm

That is so dumb ! Those photos /silhouettes are so different 🤣

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#963Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 6:41pm

I was thinking it would be some who could get Butz into seats. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#964Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 7:02pm

Burstein is obviously very talented, but I can’t help but feel his Herbie will be a rehash of his performances in Follies and Cabaret. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#965Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 7:04pm

Wouldn’t NLB be kinda wasted on Herbie? Not much comedy to mine.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

SisterGeorge
#966Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 7:14pm

Oh Yikes, To me that photo looks like someone who might lose an election in early November, freeing him just in time for the beginning of previews. Well, "freeing him" is probably a poor choice of words.

Sister George

Livin'ToDo
#967Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 8:20pm

A hint with the "sweet" word choice?

Will Swenson.  Sweet Caroline (not to mention as a couple....wherever I go, he goes)

OR

Brian d'Arcy James; Sweet Smell of Success

BroadwayNYC2
#968Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 8:27pm

Right, what’s the “Sweet” connection to Danny Burnstein? 

GiantsInTheSky2
#969Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 8:30pm

That photo looks nothing like Swenson or James. 

For Burstein: “Among his many recordings is the musical Sweet Little Devil in which he introduced three George Gershwin, Buddy DeSylva songs. The score originally went unrecorded in 1924 and was finally recorded by PS Classics, with Burstein playing the role of Sam in 2012.”

BroadwayNYC2
#970Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 8:37pm

In that case…weird clue. Just announce it. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#971Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 9:00pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Right, what’s the “Sweet” connection to Danny Burnstein?"

I’m wondering if “sweet” and the candy emoji is just referring to Herbie being in the candy business. Still a random thing to emphasize, but I can’t think of who it could be hinting at if it’s a clue.

Fordham2015
#972Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 9:05pm

NOWaWarning said: "BroadwayNYC2 said: "Right, what’s the “Sweet” connection to Danny Burnstein?"

I’m wondering if “sweet” and the candy emoji is just referring to Herbie being in the candy business. Still a random thing to emphasize, but I can’t think of who it could be hinting at if it’s a clue.
"

My only thought was BDJ and Sweet Smell of Success

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#973Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 9:23pm

My only thought was Christian Borle since he played Willy Wonka, but he's tied up with Tammy Faye

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#974Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/18/24 at 9:53pm

There *is* an actor who’s played Willy Wonka and done two Sondheim film adaptations…

Johnny Depp’s career rehabilitation begins now 🤪🤪🤪

Videos