News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Audition Help!!

Kathleen2
#0Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 7:22pm

I'm auditioning for some mainstage productions at this new theatre company that I just discovered not long ago. So it will be the first time I ever auditioned there and..this one audition will be what they judge me on throughout the whole year. It's really weird in the way they put this together, because we audition and they base all the shows they do for the year on this one audition so I'm stressing out here!

Okay what we need is one up-tempo song and one ballad. I feel most comfortable in the belty voice although I'm not sure how wide my range is with it. I never got my voice range before but from what I did on the piano it seems like I'm from the F below middle C to the B above middle C. I get into my head voice around the C then. Any help would be REALLY appreciated..and I need some info. before this Sunday! I know it's super close but I just found out about the auditions today and I don't want to pass it up.

Hellllllp Audition Help!!

Kathleen2
#1re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:13pm

I'm thinking Suppertime from You're A Good Man Charlie Brown for the up-tempo one?

And maybe I should list the shows that are happening this year there.

Aladdian
Fiddler on the Roof
A Chorus Line
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Rocky Horror Show
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 08:13 PM

PharaohM4n
#2re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:40pm

Let Me See, I've never heard that song but maybe and for the Ballad one I dont know if that means like a slow song or something but I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables would be a good one.

PharaohM4n
#3re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:40pm

Let Me See, I've never heard that song but maybe and for the Ballad one I dont know if that means like a slow song or something but I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables would be a good one.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#4re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:43pm

Don't use Les Mis! And anyway, I Dreamed a Dream goes up to a D or E an octave above middle C. I think for uptempo you could do "Anything Goes" and for a ballad you could use "Poor Sweet Baby" (Snoopy the Musical).

Kathleen2
#5re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:04pm

Hmm..yeah I wasn't planning on using anything from Les Miz because it's so popular

Thanks for the help..anymore would be appreciated..

Kathleen2
#7re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/26/05 at 12:57pm

okay...anyone else?

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#8re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/26/05 at 1:14pm

I really dont think it matters if something is over done, I mean its an audition they base it on your voice and how well you can sing the song, Sometimes its better to pick a song that is "overdone" as you say because they know the song and can compare to how its supposed to be sang, how you interpreted it and how you were able to sing it.

Kathleen2
#9re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/26/05 at 5:10pm

i thought you could get advise on this site..and i love how so many people read this post but never bothered to help out

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#10re: Audition Help!!
Posted: 8/26/05 at 5:21pm

There are some songs that just aren't good to audition with. "I dreamed a dream" is one of them. I don't know why so many people reccomend Wicked and Rent songs, but those aren't good for any audition unless they tell you to sing them.

You probably shouldn't do songs that are super belty, so stick with something pre 80's for these shows.

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

Videos