News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

CJRochester
#2502024 Tony Awards
Posted: 4/19/24 at 6:38pm

yyys said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Determines-Eligibility-for-2023-2024-Season-20240419"

Recapping...  The committee made the following determinations:

Maryann Plunkett and Dorian Harewood will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress/Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in The Notebook.

-Ben Stanton and Lucy Mackinnon will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work in The Notebook.

-Isabelle McCalla and Grant Gustin will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress/Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in Water for Elephants.

-Bradley King and David Bengali will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work on Water for Elephants.

-Ali Louis Bourzgui will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in Leading Role in a Musical category for his performance in The Who’s Tommy.

-David Korins and Peter Nigrini will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical category for their work on The Who’s Tommy.

-Steve Margoshes and Rick Fox will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Orchestrations category for their work on The Who’s Tommy.

-Des McAnuff will be considered eligible in the Best Direction of a Musical category for his work on The Who’s Tommy.

-Brody Grant will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical category for his performance in The Outsiders.

-Brian MacDevitt and Hana S. Kim will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work on The Outsiders.

-Eden Espinosa will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical category for her performance in Lempicka.

-Riccardo Hernández and Peter Nigrini will be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical for their work on Lempicka.

yyys
#2512024 Tony Awards
Posted: 4/19/24 at 7:11pm

kurtal: you're missing The Notebook for Orchestrations.

Updated On: 4/19/24 at 07:11 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2522024 Tony Awards
Posted: 4/19/24 at 8:22pm

CJRochester said: "yyys said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Determines-Eligibility-for-2023-2024-Season-20240419"

Recapping... The committee made the following determinations:

Maryann PlunkettandDorian Harewoodwill be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress/Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in The Notebook.

-Ben StantonandLucy Mackinnonwill be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work in The Notebook.

-Isabelle McCallaandGrant Gustinwill be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress/Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical categories for their respective performances in Water for Elephants.

-Bradley KingandDavid Bengaliwill be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work on Water for Elephants.

-Ali Louis Bourzguiwill be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in Leading Role in a Musical category for his performance in The Who’s Tommy.

-David KorinsandPeter Nigriniwill be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical category for their work on The Who’s Tommy.

-Steve MargoshesandRick Foxwill be considered jointly eligible in the Best Orchestrations category for their work on The Who’s Tommy.

-Des McAnuffwill be considered eligible in the Best Direction of a Musical category for his work on The Who’s Tommy.

-Brody Grantwill be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical category for his performance in The Outsiders.

-Brian MacDevittandHana S. Kimwill be considered jointly eligible in the Best Lighting Design of a Musical category for their work on The Outsiders.

-Eden Espinosawill be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical category for her performance in Lempicka.

-Riccardo Hernández andPeter Nigriniwill be considered jointly eligible in the Best Scenic Design of a Musical for their work on Lempicka.
"

Very interesting and feel Plunkett in this category just bumped Eden Espinosa possibly out of the top 5! I had Plunkett in Best Featured Actress Musical ...she had a better chance there winning. 

Best Actress Musical 

• Maleah Joi Moon (Hell's Kitchen)
  • Kelli O'Hara (Days of Wine and Roses)
  • Gayle Rankin (Cabaret)
  • Shaina Taub (Suffs)
  • Maryann Plunkett (The Notebook)

Question is, could we have a 6th slot? I doubt it unless Eva Noblezada (The Great Gatsby) gets raves or could possibly take Shaina's spot?

I do think the Tony will go to Maleah Joi Moon. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/20/24 at 08:22 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2532024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/24 at 1:04pm

According to Utkarsh Ambudkar’s Instagram story, he’ll be co-hosting this year’s Tony Awards: Act One (the 90 minute pre-show) on Pluto TV with Julianne Hough.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2542024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/24 at 2:14pm

^Now, it's been confirmed.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Julianne-Hough-and-Utkarsh-Ambudkar-Will-Host-Tony-Awards-Act-One-20240604

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2552024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/24 at 2:35pm

Does anyone know why Tony awards this year is the same day as Father’s Day (third Sunday of June)?

in the past it was normally held second Sunday of June.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#2562024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/24 at 10:24pm

Robbie2 said: "CJRochester said: "yyys said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Determines-Eligibility-for-2023-2024-Season-20240419"

I do think the Tony will go to Maleah Joi Moon."

It will be Kelli.  She was giving a stronger acting performance.  Moon has a nice voice and presence but the acting, with that book ... 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2572024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/4/24 at 10:37pm

I can't remember the last time Best Actress was such a tossup. And I don't mean a race between two people...there's a road to a win for all except Eden.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2582024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/5/24 at 12:36pm

Next season looks to be a tossup for lead actress in a musical too.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2592024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/5/24 at 12:53pm

Wick3 said: "Next season looks to be a tossup for lead actress in a musical too."

Easy to say now before we've seen them :) but yes, on paper, it looks like a strong year ahead.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2602024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/5/24 at 2:53pm

Compiled what I could (until new albums may be released) into a playlist of this year’s new musicals, revivals, and scores! If I forgot any, please let me know! 😊

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/the-77th-annual-tony-awards-eligible-new-musicals/pl.u-8mbehomR1xA

JSquared2
#2612024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/5/24 at 3:05pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Robbie2 said: "CJRochester said: "yyys said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Awards-Administration-Committee-Determines-Eligibility-for-2023-2024-Season-20240419"

I do think the Tony will go to Maleah Joi Moon."

It will be Kelli. She was giving a stronger acting performance. Moon has a nice voice and presence but theacting, with that book ...

Nope. It's looking like Maleah's year.  The quality of the book will not matter (e.g. Stephanie J Bloch -- books don't get any worse than THE CHER SHOW).  Voters have shown a particular inclination to reward actors who play famous people (e.g.  John Lloyd Young, SJB, Jessie Mueller, Myles Frost, Adrienne Warren). Plus Kelli won just a few seasons ago.

ElephantLoveMedley
#2622024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/5/24 at 3:09pm

If Days... was still running, the award would be a lock for Kelli. It's only up in the air because her show isn't running anymore. I think Kelli gave the strongest performance of the nominees, easily.

I think Maleah does a lovely job in the role, but if Kelli doesn't win, I'm hoping it goes to Gayle.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#2632024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:01pm

Actors from closed musicals don't win Tonys - a simple but unfortunate fact (plays are a different story)

starlightlocamotion
#2642024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/6/24 at 12:12pm

Are we still assuming that BEST MUSICAL will either go to HK or SUFFS?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2652024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 9:53am

Julius Rubio will choreograph the Tonys this year, alongside DeBose. 

Hell to the yes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C76o2zLOeVy/?igsh=MTd4bGNndWFnZnk3cw==

Oh look, a bibu!

MadsonMelo
#2662024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 2:16pm

starlightlocamotion said: "Are we still assuming that BEST MUSICAL will either go to HK or SUFFS?"

Yes? I think Outsiders has running out of gas, and Illinoise was never a factor.

I'm REALLY rooting for ''Suffs''!

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#2672024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 3:13pm

MadsonMelo said: "starlightlocamotion said: "Are we still assuming that BEST MUSICAL will either go to HK or SUFFS?"

Yes? I think Outsiders has running out of gas, and Illinoise was never a factor.

I'm REALLY rooting for ''Suffs''!
"

Please define "running out of gas." They just performed on the Kelly Clarkson Show, are doing over 100% capacity and grossing over $1 million a week. Suffs is doing 90% capacity, and has a lower average ticket price. I am not rooting against Suffs, I am just curious as to what your criteria is...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2682024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 3:15pm

"Gas" here would mean buzz and sense of momentum, not necessarily box office and attendance.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#2692024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 5:44pm

Still a good buzz on Illinoise and The Outsiders is gaining steam. I definitely would not count them out.

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#2702024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 5:49pm

Even so, is there a way to tell that it's lost momentum when it's performing well at the box office? Is Suffs gaining momentum? Genuinely curious -

Sincerely,

Someone who is hoping for a miracle for Illinoise, lol

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
starlightlocamotion
#2722024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 6:01pm

I did a marathon of shows this week (seeing the five nominees back to back). IMO … my favorite was W4E, followed by HK, followed by SUFFS, followed by The Outsiders, followed by illinoise.

i was looking forward to illinoise the most, but it didn’t grab me in the way I was expecting it to. 

again just my personal preference but W4E was really a lovely surprise.

MrJNLong
#2732024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/24 at 10:57pm

OK, I just saw Illinoise today so I have now seen all the musicals this season except The Wiz and The Notebook (which I won't be able to see until after the Tonys). So here are my thoughts regarding who I think should win.

What a fun year for Best Musical. I can't remember a time when I really had no idea who was going to win. If I were a voter (I am not), I would choose either The Outsiders or Illinoise. Hell's Kitchen was also very entertaining, but those other 2 were more creative I thought.  I felt Suffs and Water for Elephants were both good but not great and shouldn't win.  Both were lacking some major elements in their writing to be named Best Musical in my opinion. However, I actually think my 'vote' for Best Musical would go to Here Lies Love if it were nominated.

Revival is clearly Merrily for my money.

Director should either be Maria Friedman or Donya Taymor. And actually, I think I would give it to Taymor. I'm in the camp of people that always thought Merrily was great and I'm not exactly sure what was so revolutionary about this staging that changed everything for everyone this time. Besides the casting of course. Again, if Alex Timbers were here, I would probably vote there.

Ya go ahead and give choreography to Illinoise.  Although I wouldn't be mad if it ended up with The Outsiders or Hells Kitchen in an upset.  But ya it should be Illinoise.

For acting, I would go with Kelli O'Hara and the Merrily trio. Although Maleah Joi Moon and Kecia Lewis are very close (in their respective categories) in my book. Especially Lewis. I would love to see an upset by Lewis in Featured Actress, but I do admit Mendez's performance is the more impressive acting. All 7 in that category though deserve it I think.  No competition for Radcliffe or Groff really.  Although I would love to see a Brian d'Arcy James win, but Groff was also exceptional.  And I haven't seen Notebook yet, so maybe my Lead Actress 'vote' could end up going to Plunkett, but right now I do think O'Hara gave a much more impressive performance than Moon. Rankin was pretty good also, but falls below the others I think. Was not impressed by Espinoza. For my money, Featured Actor would be more interesting if they had nominated Conrad Ricamora, Ricky Ubeda, and Ben Cook, but what can you do?

Score? Ugh that's hard. Loved the Stereophonic music, but I wouldn't vote for it here. I'd either go for The Outsiders or Here Lies Love.

Book? The only one that wasn't actively distracting negatively as I watched the show was The Outsiders, so I guess I'd go there. Honestly tho, I would actually vote for Illinoise if it were here even though there was no dialogue.

Orchestrations...I guess if we're agreeing Merrily is eligible, then I guess that should win.  Although all 5 of these were impressive.

Lighting either The Outsiders or Illinoise.

Scenic should be Here Lies Love. 7 nominees here, but none that really were exciting to me besides HLL. Well, except Back to the Future, but...it was too theme parkey for me.

Sound is tough. Some good options.  I think I would say The Outsiders. Although Here Lies Love or Merrily also maybe.

Costumes? I mean. I guess Great Gatsby cause there was so much opulence in those clothes. But. I really didn't love their storytelling in that show, so. I dunno.  No one else in the category was very inspiring either.  So I think I'd say Cabaret. Or I guess Gatsby. Meh.

Updated On: 6/7/24 at 10:57 PM

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#2742024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/24 at 4:44am

MrJNLong said: "Scenic should be Here Lies Love. 7 nominees here, but none that really were exciting to me besides HLL. Well, except Back to the Future, but...it was too theme parkey for me."

You guys have theme park shows that cost a million dollars a week to stage?  Blimey!  Here in the UK they chuck a few members of park staff and someone in a mascot costume onto a tiny, bare stage and call it a day.

😄

Videos