News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)

2024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)

Voter
#12024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:17am

The Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA will announce its 2024-25 Season at noon today.

steve.sometime
#22024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 10:00am

It has been "leaked" weeks ago through casting notice. If it hasn't changed since then, there will be Soft Power, Primary Trust, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Job, In the Heights, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and a new musical TBA. Very exciting season imo!

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 10:00 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 10:26am

Interesting to see Soft Power. Wonder if they're still hoping for an extended life for the show? I loved it at the Public.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#42024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 10:39am

I liked SOFT POWER a lot at the Public, warts and all, and the album is excellent.

The casting notice indicates that there may be a future life to this show: "Prior to the production at Signature, the writers and creative team will be holding a New York workshop to further develop the piece."

They appear to have parted ways with Leigh Silverman and Sam Pinkleton:

• Director: Ethan Heard
  • Musical Director: Chris Fenwick
  • Choreographer: Billy Bustamante (who performed in the previous incarnations of the show)

NYC Workshop Dates: May 14-24, 2024 (day off May 20, 2024)
1st Rehearsal Date: July 9, 2024
1st Performance Date: August 6, 2024 Closing Date: September 15, 2024

For a long time it was being developed/funded by No Guarantees, but I don't know if they're still producing or if it's in other hands now. The revisions could also be for licensing purposes or the hope that a different commercial producer will come on.

I don't really see a place for it in the Broadway ecosystem, commercially, and I don't know how the Hillary of it all will play now, but hey weirder things have happened.

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 10:39 AM

Voter
inception Profile Photo
inception
#62024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:11pm

The TBA announced musical turns out to be THE UNTITLED UNAUTHORIZED HUNTER S. THOMPSON MUSICAL from Joe Iconis that played LA Jolla last year.  I heard that it wasn't good.

chrishuyen
#72024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:19pm

Honestly this season makes me sad I don't live closer to DC--mostlly for Soft Power which I'd probably make a trip to see, but also Primary Trust (which I missed in NYC) and Forum (which is always fun) and Hedwig.  I loved Job off Broadway as well and can't wait to see it again on Broadway, so they really have quite the season.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#82024-2025 Signature Theatre Season (Arlington, VA)
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:19pm

inception said: "The TBA announced musical turns out to beTHE UNTITLED UNAUTHORIZED HUNTER S. THOMPSON MUSICAL from Joe Iconis that played LA Jolla last year. I heard that it wasn't good."

That's why they do a second out-of-town to try to improve the piece!

Wish DC wasn't 4/5 hours away, that's a great season.

Also of note: Unless this is a typo, the runtime for SOFT POWER is listed as 85 minutes, no intermission. So they've shaved about 45 minutes off of it since the Public.

Videos