News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

wicked

CourtneyM Profile Photo
CourtneyM
#0wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 2:13pm

i got my tickets for it today!! anyway i also got the book free and was wondering if i should read the book before or after i see the show? i know this is a sorta weird question but i don't want to be upset when i see the show because its so different from the book...that is if it's different.

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art-Oscar Wilde

broadwayguy2
#1re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 2:17pm

the book and show have a lot of differences. I have heard it compared to the differences between The Wizard of Oz novel and movie versions in level of differences. The book is a LOT darker than teh stage version and there some things that were changed to make it easier to stage.. like Nessarose's handicap.

sambaflora
#2re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 5:27pm

Read the book first. It will whet your appetite.

From what I understand they have dumbed down the storyline a bit to allow for less bondage (i.e. The Philosophy Club) and more belting (vocal lashings from the lead broads).

Me fail English? That's unpossible! - Ralph Wiggum

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#3re: re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 5:28pm

How many people were at the boxoffice? Was there a crowd because of the book giveaway.

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#4re: re: re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 5:31pm

I'm reading the book right now...Its soooooooooo good...I can't wait to see the show

CourtneyM Profile Photo
CourtneyM
#5re: re: re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 6:25pm

thanks i will read it.
there were about 6 when i got there at 9:50

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art-Oscar Wilde

#6wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 6:28pm

They say that all the books are amazing.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#7re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 6:37pm

Read the book shortly after hearing about the show being planned, and all I can say is wow. With such a great composer, 2 outstanding leading ladies, and this amazing story, this show should blow the roof off the Gershwin!!!

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Dollypop
#8re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/2/03 at 6:51pm

I thought the book was "awesome".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

#9re: re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/3/03 at 8:49am

Sambaflora...
What do you mean by "vocal lashings from the two lead broads"?

#10re: re: re: wicked

Sambaflora...

#11re: re: re: wicked

Sambaflora...

Becky
#12re: re: re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/3/03 at 9:42am

I would recommend you read the book, mostly because many who saw the California production asked questions on other message boards about the meaning of the set design, some of the symbolism, etc...and they were things that were obvious to those that read the book. (Not to say those that didn't read will be lost...I'm just going by the questions people raised after seeing the show.)

The book is enjoyable, and I loved it. That's saying a lot because I don't typically read fiction. I have been told though that the musical doesn't much follow the book -- just captures some of the main plot lines. So I don't think you'll spoil too much by reading either.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#13re: re: re: re: re: wicked
Posted: 9/3/03 at 10:24pm

UGGG, I speant my entire paycheck within 2 hours of cashing it (lol I'm a shop-a-holic, I admit that). Now I have to wait 2 weeks until I can purchase Wicked tickets. re: re: re: re: re: wicked Sad thing is, I went "Window Shopping" today, and already speant over $300 in my head for my next check. re: re: re: re: re: wicked

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Videos