News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

jv92 sees "Guys and Dolls" (2/17 evening show)- Page 2

jv92 sees "Guys and Dolls" (2/17 evening show)

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#25re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 5:56pm

Put me among those who enjoyed it. Yes Kate Jennings Grant is great and, no, Bierko isn't quite on her level but they have great chemistry and the whole Havana sequence worked beautifully. I had no problem with Platt - he's not Nathan Lane seems to be the issue. He's much more the traditional Nathan Detroit - a character actor who can handle the limited vocal opportunities. He got the laughs when I saw it. Lauren Graham is definitely a work in progress but she has loads of charm and charisma and I ended up quite liking her.

Other plusses for me were the projections which I thought worked great and the choreography which was spectacular. Steve Rosen was the best Benny South Street I have ever seen, and Jim Ortlieb's Arvide was also on the money. For the first time ever I enjoyed More I Cannot Wish You. It was also good to see Jim Walton on Broadway again as a very funny Harry the Horse.

I agree they should lose the Runyon thing but overall there's a lot to like in this show and I'm recommending it.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

PiraguaGuy2
#26re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 6:01pm

I just realized - there's two of Broadway's three Anthony Hopes in the cast! (Walton and Magunson).

It does suck that Magunson is a freakin' swing, though - he was great in Sweeney.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#27re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 7:02pm

i agree that oliver platt is miscasted totally. Try the student rush they are partial view cause you cant see the projection screen in the middleback of the stage. but thats all you really miss.
And did anyone else see carrie fisher on tuesday night

nlm
#28re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 7:07pm

According to Nick Adams blog, SJP was at the show that night.

Thanks Broadway, thought that's what the original script had re: newspaper stand.
Updated On: 2/19/09 at 07:07 PM

bwayguy22089
#29re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 7:15pm

The Damon Runyon character says nothing and is only on stage for a total of less than two minutes in a two and a half hour long production. Really guys, get over it lol. He doesn't need to be there, but it's a revival and they're trying out a few new things. It's not the end of the world lol.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#30re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:15pm

Actually, Dr Vincento, you're right about Des. He has a fine and lengthy resume. I suffer from both obstructive sleep apnea AND insomnia - go figure - and I got cranky. As long as the Runyon character is mute, fine. Although I still am curious about WHY he's there.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#31re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:26pm

My concern about the Runyon character is the fact that anyone in the audience who doesn't know that GUYS AND DOLLS was based on this guy's stories will have no clue who he is or what the heck the purpose of his insertion into the show is for.

The people in front of me were scratching their heads at intermission wondering what the heck that part was about.

Heck, even I was trying to figure out the purpose of what that part was for, and I knew who he was before entering the theatre.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#32re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:33pm

It's the most ridiculous addition they could have thought of, it makes no sense.
WannaBe, would you recommend seeing this show? I'm still undecided, especially since Lauren Graham annoys me so much as an "actress."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#33re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/19/09 at 8:43pm

I think it's worth seeing for the incredible choreography -- the best I've seen from Trujillo -- the video projections that I personally think do a fantastic job of engaging the audience, and Kate Jennings Grant's above average Sarah.

I think it's interesting to see how an actress can take a role like Adelaide -- known for her over the top humor, yet sincere humanity -- and make her both unfunny and unhuman.

Graham completely disappears on stage. She turns what should be knock-out showstoppers into so-so dance breaks. The hot box girls surrounding her each have more talent and ability to catch the audience's attention than Ms. Graham, and it's almost painfully mind-boggling to experience for any audience member who knows the character and the show so well.

So the question is, do you mind investing in a ticket to see just HOW blank a slate someone can make such a powerfully drawn character as Miss Adelaide?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

bwaylvsong
#34re: jv92 sees 'Guys and Dolls' (2/17 evening show)
Posted: 2/20/09 at 2:53pm

I saw the same exact performance and thought Platt and Graham were wonderful. She got PLENTY of laughs in Adelaide's Lament and I was actually pleasantly surprised with her singing. Bierko was good, aside from missing a few notes here and there, and Grant was absolutely the standout. I was a bit disappointed with Burgess and Rosen in the beginning, but they improved as the show went along. Testa absolutely did not steal the show, though her bit in SDYRTB was hysterical. The "Runyon thing" was only in the beginning and end, and I didn't have a problem with it. All in all, the show was excellent.

PS: The rush seats were fine. You guys are such babies.

Videos