News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Wicked stunt castings

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:26pm

Has Wicked ever stunt casted? I've been trying to think of a few and all I've gotten were Nicole Parker (whose semi famous) and Ana Gasteyer (Whose pretty famous).

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:32pm

Cast, not casted.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RW3
#2Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:34pm

Joey McIntyre as Fiyero
Rue McClanahan as Madame Morrible

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#3Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:37pm

Isn't the concept that you would cast someone famous to help a struggling show? Wicked isn't struggling.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#4Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 8:43pm

Justin Guarini, though he's more of a has-been at this point.

Mrtrobz
#5Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 9:03pm

The London production is stunt cast regularly, Matt Willis was from a Boyband, Rachel Tucker and Lee Mead were Andrew Llyod Webber TV talent show contestants, Liam Doyle(UK tour) was also on a similar Star search show, Morrible is always stunt cast with a popular British actress Miriam Margoyles, Harriet Thorpe, Sue Blake...

As for the Broadway show would we call Nicole Parker a stunt casting?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#6Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 10:16pm

Taye Diggs covering for Norbert Leo Butz to play opposite Idina Menzel seemed a little like a stunt (although he seemed appropriate for the character).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#7Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 10:25pm

I don't consider Nicole Parker stunt casting. She's a trained singer and actress with experience in live theater. She just happened to find her niche in sketch comedy. When I think of stunt casting, I typically think if casting someone who isn't fit for the role and is brought in to make some money. On top of that, I don't think of Parker as an exceptionally well known person. Yes, she was on Mad TV, but that was never a massively popular show (at least that's how I remember it). If you told the average Joe from Dayton who was interested in seeing a show with the fam, I don't think saying Nicole Parker is Elphaba is going to be the thing that makes him say, "Yes. Absolutely. This is the show!"

Ana Gasteyer as stunt casting is one to me that's a maybe. I don't think she was cast specifically to bring people in, but I don't think it's a decision anyone regrets. If she attracted people, great. She's a known name, but Wicked sells on it's title, not because of who is in the cast. I thought she handled the role just fine because of the training and experience she has. You can't just take anyone and throw them into that role. Singing it well 8 performances a week can be very challenging,

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#8Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/23/15 at 10:48pm

I have to add that Ana Gasteyer was a fantastic Elphaba.

IloveBroadwAY3
#9Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 12:53am

"The London production is stunt cast regularly, Matt Willis was from a Boyband, Rachel Tucker and Lee Mead were Andrew Llyod Webber TV talent show contestants, Liam Doyle(UK tour) was also on a similar Star search show, Morrible is always stunt cast with a popular British actress Miriam Margoyles, Harriet Thorpe, Sue Blake...

As for the Broadway show would we call Nicole Parker a stunt casting?"

I hate wicked but hiring appropiate actors to do the role is not stunt casting even if they are well lknown

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 10:14am

Isn't the concept that you would cast someone famous to help a struggling show? Wicked isn't struggling."

Exactly. I think the show "Chicago" is the leader with that, casting "Christie Brinkley years ago said it all - lol.

Jay94
#11Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 10:38am

I've always thought that if Madeline Kahn did not sadly pass away, she would have played Madame Morrible at some point.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#12Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 12:04pm

Nicole Parker was not stunt cast, as no one knows who Nicole Parker is.

Idina was stunt cast in the West End.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#13Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 12:17pm

Mandy Moore was offered to be Glinda very early on (I think after Jennifer Thompson?), but thankfully turned it down because she knew she wasn't good enough.

This show doesn't need stunt casting now. The name sells itself

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#14Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 12:52pm

"Idina was stunt cast in the West End."

The always misinterpretation of "stunt casting". Stunt casting is more for a celeb that would sell tickets but isn't really known for musical theatre. Idina had already played the part so she was more "star casted"

carash22 Profile Photo
carash22
#15Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 2:56pm

Updated On: 7/6/20 at 02:56 PM

girlonbroadway
#16Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 2:56pm

Carol Kane as Madame Morrible. I got to see her, and she was fantastic in the role.

Visceral_Fella
#17Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 3:05pm

Disneybroadway, Moore was to succeed Chenoweth and become first replacement.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#18Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 4:23pm

^That was my second guess! Thanks for clarifying!

lambchop2
#19Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 4:53pm

"Ashley Parker Angel is Fiyero in the 2nd National Tour. I'm not sure if this is considered stunt casting because he's such a has-been, but he was fairly well-known back in the day thanks to his boy band. Have any theaters been using his name in advertisements to sell tickets?"

They didn't use him as an advertisement in Detroit (to my knowledge anyway) although when I saw the show, I was standing by the cast board before curtain and a lot of women around my age said "It's that guy from O-Town!!!" when they saw it.

carash22 Profile Photo
carash22
#20Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 1/24/15 at 7:41pm

^ Interesting. I guess his name is still fairly recognizable but not big enough to sell tickets. Not many O-Town fans out there.

theatrecr8zy Profile Photo
theatrecr8zy
#21Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 2/5/15 at 3:08am

^
Saw the tour a few weeks ago in Durham. Heard a few people around my age (mid 20's) comment about Ashley being in the show, neither as a positive or negative thing, just very matter of fact. Just that they kind of knew who he was. I don't know if the Wicked team threw him in there as a "name", or what. While he is a VERY pretty man, he wasn't really anything special.

Marble Faun Profile Photo
Marble Faun
#22Wicked stunt castings
Posted: 2/5/15 at 4:06am

Idina Menzel originated the role of Elphaba on Broadway so the claim that she was stunt cast in the West End is ludicrous and severely inaccurate.

Videos