News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?- Page 3

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?

Gothampc
#50Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:37am

It helps if the actress can at least pass for Jewish (not these shiksa blonde choices).  But the more important point is that she can't be pretty.  The whole point of Fanny Brice becoming a comedienne was that she didn't have the conventional looks to be a showgirl.

The very first song in the show is called "If A Girl Isn't Pretty".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:53am

It's funny because one of the biggest complaints regarding Sheridan in Legally Blonde was that she wasn't pretty/WASPy enough for Elle.  Her look is actually quite versatile.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 6/12/15 at 11:53 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#52Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:56am

Sher is fabulous. Part of me questions whether she really has the vocal chops to carry Fanny (her vocals were the weakest part of her great performance in "Legally Blonde") but she is definitely the kind of grand scale 'personality' the piece needs.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Mister Matt
#53Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 12:07pm

her vocals were the weakest part of her great performance in "Legally Blonde"

Honestly, for me that was more evident on the CD than seeing the show live.  Her performance overshadowed her singing and I didn't even think about her vocals being weak.  I've a feeling the same would be true of Funny Girl.  Just watching her, I probably wouldn't care if she didn't sound like Streisand, Eder, Michele or anyone else.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#54Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 12:28pm

"I am so sick of reduced musicals.
Tinker-toy orchestras that sound like high-school marching bands.
Sets-that-are-no-sets-because-Brecht-or-something.
Actors who can't sing, and forget-about-choreography.
I hope this one opens over there, stays over there, and closes over there, where people still think reducing musicals is a good idea.
Note to Broadway producers who like to bring reduced British musicals over here: Thanks a lot but noooooooooooooo thanks."

There is so much to love about every single word of PJ's post. I love it so much I want to hug it...and I wholeheartedly agree. Nooooooooo thanks!

broadwayboy223
#55Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 2:42pm

As I said if anyone is going to revive this YOU HAVE TO DO IT FULL OUT. No one wants to see Fanny on a barren stage singing Don't Rain on My Parade.

neonlightsxo
#56Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 2:45pm

The short answer? It doesn't cost as much.

"we don't really get reduced british musicals anyway. Barely any broadway musicals are reduced for that matter"
...you mean we're NOT getting John Doyle's British production of The Color Purple? I thought we were.

Mister Matt
#57Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 2:58pm

No one wants to see Fanny on a barren stage singing Don't Rain on My Parade.

That's pretty much how we have seen performances of that song on stage since the original Broadway production.  In concert.  If that song is performed well, who cares what else is on stage?

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#58Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 5:39pm

""I am so sick of reduced musicals.
Tinker-toy orchestras that sound like high-school marching bands.
Sets-that-are-no-sets-because-Brecht-or-something.
Actors who can't sing, and forget-about-choreography.
I hope this one opens over there, stays over there, and closes over there, where people still think reducing musicals is a good idea.
Note to Broadway producers who like to bring reduced British musicals over here: Thanks a lot but noooooooooooooo thanks."

There is so much to love about every single word of PJ's post. I love it so much I want to hug it...and I wholeheartedly agree. Nooooooooo thanks!"

Google The Production Company Melbourne-they have been doing 3 musicals a year-this is their 20th year-very successfully showcasing local talent and letting audiences see shows that wouldn't/couldn't have a commercial run[mostly]. Recently Caroline O'Connor in Gypsy was a sell out and a show stopper[she also did Funny Girl] and their production of The Producers and La Cage the best I have ever seen. Don't know how it compares to Encores but would rather see a Production Company show than no show.

Gothampc
#59Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 5:50pm

The thing about Funny Girl is the music. And the production numbers.  As has been stated, the book is meh.

I think the fear in reducing it is that the orchestrations won't be full and the sets won't be fantastic and knowing it has a weak book, the show will be mediocre.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#60Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 5:55pm

Here's Sheridan playing Cilla Black.  She did her own vocals, so you can get an idea of how she sings.  Just remember she's trying to mimic Cilla Black, so she had to make some vocal choices she might not make in playing Fanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1AiIlQYwJE

Sheridan

Updated On: 6/12/15 at 05:55 PM

Mister Matt
#61Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 6:02pm

^
LOVE that clip!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#62Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 6:22pm

As Elle - 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#63Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 6:29pm

This may be closer to how she might play Fanny Brice -  at least there is an attitude and some comedy

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#64Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 6:39pm

Hot gegger

Stephanatic

Gothampc
#65Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 7:04pm

Somebody should write a musical based on Anna Wintour for Sheridan.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#66Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 10:43am

I would also love to see Annaleigh Ashford do this role. She would get the comedy down.

She's not Jewish, but I think she does have a unique look.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

Showface
#67Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 11:23am

The unique look and charisma is really all that matters (musically and acting-wise)

I don't really understand how religion comes into play--I mean, Scarlett Johansson is Jewish, but that doesn't necessarily mean she has the look for Fanny Brice.
Maybe I'm missing something? (I probably am)

Updated On: 6/14/15 at 11:23 AM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#68Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 11:27am

The unique look and charisma is really all that matters

Madonna had a unique look and charisma for Evita and she completely nailed those songs.....

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#69Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 11:38am

It's simple and factual: Fanny Brice had a distinctly Eastern European Ashkenazic Jewish look: beak-like nose and protruding lower lip, and the show is specifically ABOUT what that look meant for a performer in early 20th century America. It's not antisemitic (or reverse-antisemitic) to wish for any girl playing the part to evoke Fanny's image. Personally I think both Sheridan Smith and Annaleigh Ashford could do fine visually.

Showface
#70Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 11:41am

"It's simple and factual: Fanny Brice had a distinctly Eastern European Ashkenazic Jewish look: beak-like nose and protruding lower lip, and the show is specifically ABOUT what that look meant for a performer in early 20th century America. It's not antisemitic (or reverse-antisemitic) to wish for any girl playing the part to evoke Fanny's image. Personally I think both Sheridan Smith and Annaleigh Ashford could do fine visually.

"

Thanks for clearing things up!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#71Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 11:46am

"The short answer? It doesn't cost as much.

"we don't really get reduced british musicals anyway. Barely any broadway musicals are reduced for that matter"
...you mean we're NOT getting John Doyle's British production of The Color Purple? I thought we were. "

Yeah we are, but thats coming from the small chocolate factory. Theres something great about not having all the sets and stuff from a big broadway musical. You can pay attention to the actors more, and the story is more intimate. Not all shows should be big broadway musicals. Sometimes intimacy helps shows, so i am looking forward to seeing The Color Purple!! Idk i guess i never poo-pooed musicals that don't have all the commotion behind them.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Gothampc
#72Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 12:45pm

"You can pay attention to the actors more, and the story is more intimate. Not all shows should be big broadway musicals."

I still think some people aren't getting the point here.  So let's try again.

The book of Funny Girl is not good.  It's the music and the production numbers that pull the show up.

If you strip down the production numbers and lessen the instruments in the orchestra, it will emphasize how bad the book is.  It would take a supremely talented actress to rise above that.

Funny Girl was touring around in the 90s.  Was it Debby Gibson doing the tour?  The reason it didn't come to Broadway was that it was a stripped down version and everyone realized without a full orchestra and big production numbers, the show ain't good.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#73Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 12:57pm

"Google The Production Company Melbourne-they have been doing 3 musicals a year-this is their 20th year-very successfully showcasing local talent"

As they say in Sydney...

"If it's good enough for Melbourne...LEAVE IT IN MELBOURNE!"

(As the Australians say--in Sydney, that is.)

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#74Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/14/15 at 5:31pm

The Melbourne/Sydney rivalry is silly [and childish]--each has their own wonderful personalities--visit both and enjoy their difference.

Videos