News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Who should host the 2016 Tonys?- Page 2

Who should host the 2016 Tonys?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#25Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/9/16 at 10:43am

mamaleh said: "The perfect host: Hugh Jackman--if he's not off filming a movie. 

"

Seriously? I love Hugh but he was so boring last time he hosted. 

"James Corden works in la. He can't really take a month off from his show for a one time gig."

Who says he has to take a month? He writes the gig in LA, comes to New York for a weekend and flies home the next day. It's happened before and I'm sure it could happen again. The most I could see is him missing a few of his shows. 

God, please, no Jane Lynch. I shudder at the thought. 

Colbert or Corden FTW!!!!!!

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#26Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 2:18am

I've said it before, I will continue to say it: Idina would be a great Tonys host. Watch footage from her world tour this past summer-- she's hilarious and absolutely knows how to entertain and reign in a crowd. 

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#27Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 3:08am

Jeremy Jordan and Matt Morrison

Together?! I'm igry at the very idea. And so is my icon.

I adore James Corden and think he would do a fantastic job.

Lin will do best writing for the show on the fly, as he's done before. The speed of his brain...

Updated On: 1/10/16 at 03:08 AM

Sunny11
#28Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 7:15am

rcwr said: "Jeremy Jordan and Matt Morrison

Together?! I'm igry at the very idea. And so is my icon."

I think that's the point. What if they did a duet of  "anything you can do i can do better" from annie get your gun ? 

devil

Updated On: 1/10/16 at 07:15 AM

brdway411
#29Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:06am

I thought I saw somewhere that Jane Lynch  was hosting or asked to host. 

Would love to see Nick Jonas. 

Pootie2
#30Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:16am

TFMH18 said: "I've said it before, I will continue to say it: Idina would be a great Tonys host. Watch footage from her world tour this past summer-- she's hilarious and absolutely knows how to entertain and reign in a crowd. "

She has great stage patter, but much of it can be off-the-cuff, rated R, and only works when she's at the center of it; I don't mean that necessarily in an egotistical way, just that her style probably wouldn't work at an awards ceremony about other shows and people, especially if an award recipient doesn't feed off the same kind of humor. And Menzel doesn't seem to do well in live-televised appearances, to be honest.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin
Updated On: 1/10/16 at 11:16 AM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#31Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:18am

What about Sara Bareilles? 

Sunny11
#32Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:25am

Benjamin Walker? He has been in some big movies recently and will be on Broadway this season.

Tom5
#33Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 11:30am

David Letterman. He's available, he's funny and the audience would quadruple.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#34Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 12:10pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Here's my suggestions:

Stephen Colbert-He has a talk show on CBS, plus he's an avid supporter of Broadway.

James Corden-He also has a talk show on CBS, plus he's a recent Tony winner.

Steve Martin-He's got a musical coming to Broadway soon, plus he's proven to be a pretty successful Oscar host."

Here's two more suggestions I've thought of:

Wayne Brady-He's on Broadway right now in Kinky Boots, plus he's the host of Let's Make a Deal on CBS.

Jesse Tyler Ferguson-He's gonna be back on Broadway this spring in Fully Committed, though the only conflict would be that he's on a TV show from a competing network.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#35Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 1:19pm

James Corden, Steve Martin, Wayne Brady, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and Stephen Colbert are great choices. A lot of the people otherwise being named in this thread are just famous people who are on Broadway this season. I would think CBS would get Gloria Estefan, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Groff, etc. to be on the show in some form.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Queen of the Night
#36Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 1:53pm

What about Jim Parsons? He's done several plays on Broadway, is good with comedy and is a "name"  due to the success of The Big Bang Theory. Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Wayne Brady are good choices though too.

Updated On: 1/10/16 at 01:53 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#37Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 2:03pm

^Jim Parsons admitted that he was offered the job last year, but he turned it down because he just didn't think he'd be any good at it.

I would think CBS would get Gloria Estefan, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Groff, etc. to be on the show in some form.

I'm sure both Gloria Estefan will introduce the cast of On Your Feet! and Sara Bareilles will introduce the cast of Waitress on the Tonys.

VintageSnarker
#38Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/10/16 at 3:51pm

Anyone who saw that singing competition he hosted (Rising Star?) would not suggest Josh Groban. I like Corden because he has the experience and from his talk show, he clearly loves theatre and music and it seems like he'd be up for all the skits.

Wayne Brady and Stephen Colbert would be good safe choices. I think they'd guide the show along fine but they wouldn't attract too much attention to themselves. Many hosts would be fine. It's just difficult to re-calibrate your expectations after NPH and Jackman.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#39Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 1:07am

Sunny11 said: I think that's the point. What if they did a duet of  "anything you can do i can do better" from annie get your gun ? 

devil

Icon and I now both dead of igriness. Sunny11, I love your song idea! : D

Updated On: 1/11/16 at 01:07 AM

lachri5
#40Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 5:07am

As much as I hate this idea, I think Josh Groban is very possible as well, you know, with The Great Comet coming up.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#41Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 5:49am

I vote for Corden.

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#42Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 8:51am

I think James Corden would be excellent.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#43Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 9:03am

Ricky gervais 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#44Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 9:49am

Laura Benanti is on CBS's Supergirl these days, and I think the show is doing pretty well, so if the odd were ever in her favor, this year might be the time? She's done a great job hosting the Drama Desk the last 2 years. Plus she will be on Broadway this spring in She Loves Me, and hopefully get a nom, so it just seems like good timing to me, if her schedule would allow it.

They could pair her with a bit of a bigger TV personality perhaps, because despite Supergirl Laura isn't very well known outside of NY. Or maybe even Josh Groban (He could still do it next year though)

Also, depending on how well Grease Live does, they might want to use someone from that?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#45Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 10:22am

^Aaron Tveit is gonna be on the upcoming CBS series, BrainDead...

Dollypop
#46Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 11:06am

Sam Champion and Josh Elliott.  (Gotta get these guys back together somehow!)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#47Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 12:25pm

I won't be surprised if it's Jesse Tyler Ferguson.  He's a Broadway boy who's become a TV star, and he'll be back on Broadway in the spring in a one-man show that I BELIEVE will be considered a play rather than a special event, making him eligible for award nominations.

bwayfan4life
#48Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 9:09pm

Idina Menzel and Lea Michelle should co-host. They could play the mother daughter part a bit and parody playing each other's characters. And just think of a duet here or there.

It's gonna be a happy new year.......RENT

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#49Who should host the 2016 Tonys?
Posted: 1/12/16 at 6:44pm

Martin Short or Billy Crystal. Both can sing and dance. Both are great 'off the cuff' and both would make a great host. 

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Videos