News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Which shows did you really want to like, but...- Page 2

Which shows did you really want to like, but...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:12pm

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: I had such high hopes for this after reading all the great reviews. I didn't dislike the show by any means, in fact I liked the show. However, I just don't think it lived up to all the hype.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#26Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:13pm

Lion King. I heard so many great things about it (having seen it once already when I was five and not really remembering much of it), but walking out the second time years later I felt like my family was ripped off.

Heathers. I tried to like the show, what with all the excellent word-of-mouth from other kids my age, but the entire show was just so lackluster for me. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#27Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:14pm

People do that literally ALL the time on this board, and usually just for the sake of being nasty. 

So it's okay if it's just for the sake of being superior?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:18pm

Follies

Spring Awakening

Love Never Dies

Big Fish

The Last Ship

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

The Pirate Queen

Sweet Smell of Success

Shrek

August: Osage County

The Producers

Besides the song "When I grow up", the the show has nothing deep or profound behind it.

Really?  I found profoundness behind her stories, "This Little Girl", "My House" and especially "Quiet" (one of the most profound showtunes I've heard since Caroline, or Change or Light in the Piazza).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/8/15 at 12:18 PM

Christoph
#29Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:37pm

Six jump out at me.

1. I agree with Bilbo3 on Follies. Some good songs, but I find the book dull and uninteresting. An Act 1 made up of supporting cast members coming forth, getting one number and largely vanishing, interspersed with non-stop vitriolic bickering among a quartet of old disenchanted has-beens bitching about their sorry lives, giving way to an Act 2 that showcases the latter.  I think it is ambitious, but misses the mark and if Sondheim's name were not involved, not so many would be so reverent of it.

2. I really expected to love A Little Night Music, but I found the last revival with Catherine Zeta-Jones to be stark, barren, unimaginative and boring. And Hunter Ryan Herdlicka and Ramona Mallory's histrionic performances as Henrik and Anne really set my teeth on edge.

3. Dreamgirls was another one I don't get.  It must have been a really weak year when it was nominated for the Tony for Best Musical.  I think part of my issue is that I find Effie, whose plight is supposed to arouse such sympathy, to be a royal pain in the butt.  She spends most of Act 1 acting like a nasty diva, putting people down and acting like a selfish shrew, but we are supposed to forgive everything because she is a powerful singer!?  In real life, anyone that had to work with her attitude would have been thrilled to see her go.  And given that the entire second act revolves around her triumphant return, it had lost me by intermission.

4. Ragtime - Love the book, love the movie, nearly fell asleep on the stage show.

5. John Doyle's Sweeney Todd - I have loved every version of this show except his take. Cheap sets, cheap costumes, a cast functioning as the orchestra banging their instruments to the floor and racing across the stage to hit their marks, while charging full ticket price for a show that looked like it cost $5.00 to mount.  Michael Cerveris as one of the most boring Sweeney Todd's on record and Patti LuPone, sporting one facial expression, racing through her songs at such a pace that I thought she was late for a dinner appointment.  When someone posted at the time for suggestions on what John Doyle should do next, this board's Margo Channing replied "Retire".  I agree.

6. The Lion King - One of the few Disney films I actively dislike, but an acquaintance assured me that I would love the stage show and the rapturous reviews really raised my hopes.  Arguably my worst experience on Broadway.  Elton John's abysmal score complimented by cumbersome costumes/headpieces that often restricted the movement of the actors and ratty looking Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade rejects that were supposed to inspire awe. My extended family went and hated it, the kids with us despised it and strangers kids were crawling the floor on our feet bored out of their minds and demanding that someone play a game with them while the show was running. It boggles my mind that this is still a huge Broadway ticket seller years later.

Updated On: 5/11/15 at 12:37 PM

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#30Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:43pm

Most of the shows this season have been a bit disappointing for me.  The biggest disappointment was Something Rotten, which is likely due to the fact I really expected to love it.   

brdway411
#31Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:44pm

Fun Home, saw it at The Public and again last night. It works better in the round, but I just don't get the apeal. 

ebontoyan
#32Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:59pm

I am underwhelmed with Fun Home's cast recording (except for Days and Days which I liked) Unlike Once and Gentleman's Guide, Tony winner or not, I will be skipping this show!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#33Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 12:59pm

"I really wanted to like On the Town and really was not impressed 

That would have been my selection as well for this season.  It's probably because I went in with such high expectations, but aside from some teriffic dancing, I thought the show was a bit boring and cartoonish.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

gmhots
#34Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:10pm

On the Town, definitely – heard some great things about the dancing, which turned out to be above average, but the acting was bad, the book completely unrelatable, and the score was also forgettable. In particular I don't get the love for "I Can Cook Too" – Umphress's (hope I spelt that right!) delivery was devoid of energy and a little flat, and NYNY was empty-sounding.

I loved Curious Incident. Completely met my high expectations.

I went in with low expectations for Big Fish (mainly drawn by Norbert Leo Butz) and ended up loving it. I thought it had a great contemporary score with numbers that stand out from each other (If/Then & Finding Neverland... looking at you) and I ended up seeing it 3 times.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#35Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:27pm

THE PRODUCERS - Lane was out that performance

WICKED - the week it opened....eeww that score!

ON THE TOWN - it's just too dated for me 

CONTACT - just love canned music at a LIVE show

LITTLE WOMEN - theatre done on the cheap

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN - Brook's theatre farewell....hopefully (& no grosses reported)

THE GLORIOUS ONES - agony

TRIUMPH OF LOVE - off Broadway fare playing Broadway

SWEET CHARITY (revival) - it really helps having a Charity who can sing and dance

VintageSnarker
#36Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:43pm

Recently... I'd say Side Show and On the Twentieth Century. I certainly didn't hate either but I was a little disappointed, sure. Like another poster said, I go into everything wanting to love it. I kind of expected that I wouldn't love either show but I didn't anticipate all the reasons why.

I think my biggest disappointments are never on Broadway but usually concerts because they just tend to not be as well rehearsed or focused. The last thing I remember actually hating was Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle which I saw as a live in HD showing when they did the double bill with Iolanta. It's one of the only things I've ever wanted to walk out of.

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#37Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 1:49pm

Hand to god. 

I knew the premise, I read a number of glowing reviews (both peer and printed), and just did not enjoy it. I am not easily offended or squeamish, but so much of the show just made me have to cover my eyes and hope for the curtain call. 

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#38Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:00pm

For me, it was 9 to 5.  I love the movie, and I love Alison Janney.  But boy, was that disappointing.  Also, Spamalot.  Again, love the movie, love almost everyone involved in the show.  I could have stayed home and rewatched the movie.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#39Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:33pm

Dreamgirls did not win the Best Musical tony. Nine did in 1982. Many consider it one of the best years for musicals.

Dreamgirls was already a hit with a hit song and so was expected to win, but Nine opened just before the nominations. They ended up splitting the awards, with Nine winning the big prize.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#40Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:48pm

"I am underwhelmed with Fun Home's cast recording (except for Days and Days which I liked) Unlike Once and Gentleman's Guide, Tony winner or not, I will be skipping this show!"

Thought this thread was about shows we a) wanted to like and b) actually saw, and since you've posted about 10 times in this forum that Fun Home is neither to you, it's just weird that you felt you had to state that yet again.

For me:

1) Phantom of the Opera - I obsessed over the recording back when I was in school, and being a theater dork I was fascinated to learn all the crazy technical gimmicks and spectacle. When I finally got to see it a few years after opening, I was completely underwhelmed. Neither the performances nor the design could live up to what I'd imagined it would be like. But it taught me a good lesson about not hyping myself up for art of all kinds.

2) Kinky Boots - Loved Cyndi Lauper since I was a kid, and I was generally fond of Fierstien's work, too. But the show just seemed entirely obvious and unfunny, and the music overly simplistic.

The upside is that every time I see a show that doesn't work for me, it helps to filter what to see in the future when reviews compare a show to one I didn't like.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#41Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 2:53pm

This season... On the 20th Century.  In fact, in more than 30 years of attending Broadway shows, it is one of my least favorites ever.  Bottom 5 easily. But still not as bad as The Producers - and Nathan Lane was there the day I saw it (earlier poster - you missed NOTHING!)

On the other end of the spectrum this season... went in sure I'd HATE The Last Ship - the PBS special was boring as watching paint dry - but ended up loving the show.

ebontoyan
#42Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:04pm

""I am underwhelmed with Fun Home's cast recording (except for Days and Days which I liked) Unlike Once and Gentleman's Guide, Tony winner or not, I will be skipping this show!"

Thought this thread was about shows we a) wanted to like and b) actually saw, and since you've posted about 10 times in this forum that Fun Home is neither to you, it's just weird that you felt you had to state that yet again.

The upside is that every time I see a show that doesn't work for me, it helps to filter what to see in the future when reviews compare a show to one I didn't like."

Hey Brerwhatever free country I can post whatever I want lol

And same upside if the cast recording doesn't work for me I will not be wasting my $$ to see it! 

mpd4165
#43Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:07pm

"""I am underwhelmed with Fun Home's cast recording (except for Days and Days which I liked) Unlike Once and Gentleman's Guide, Tony winner or not, I will be skipping this show!"

The upside is that every time I see a show that doesn't work for me, it helps to filter what to see in the future when reviews compare a show to one I didn't like."

Hey Brerwhatever free country I can post whatever I want lol
And same upside if the cast recording doesn't work for me I will not be wasting my $$ to see it! "

Calm Down Philly...I mean ebontoyan.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#44Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:10pm

>>>>I don't get the point of this thread. Its only purpose is to spread negativity, and give people ANOTHER opportunity to bitch about the shows they didn't like. It's not like we're giving anyone a useful answer to a practical question, or sparking any kind of fruitful discussion or debate; it's just one of the many threads devoted to pure negativity, in which people will post their own complaints, then agree with some posters and disagree with others, and that's it. I don't mind when people post negative opinions of shows, but threads like this just seem so pointless to me. <<<<

ROTFLMAO.   The above is possibly the most negative thread I've ever seen on this board.  A totally negative post about negativity!  

ebontoyan
#45Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:11pm

Lol lol lol u calm down just stating my opinion that u all can ignore lol

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#46Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:12pm

Eb,

By that logic, I'd have missed out on some really great shows whose scores I didn't really care for until after I saw the actual show.  Some whose scores I didn't like until after I saw the show include: The Last Ship and Follies.

Conversely, I loved the score for Ragtime but ended up fighting to stay awake when I saw it.

It's always a crap shoot whether you'll like a show or not... the worst, though, is when you leave feeling nothing either way. Nice Work If You Can Get It being a primo example for me.

Updated On: 5/8/15 at 03:12 PM

wonkit
#47Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:13pm

This season - On the Twentieth Century. Loved it at Goodspeed years ago, and thought the current version was joyless.

On the other hand, everyone on this board had lower my expectations so much (thank you, really) for Something Rotten that I actually enjoyed it. It ain't Shakespeare (joke), but it was a lot of silly fun. And the cast (this week's Wednesday matinee) was so "on" for potential Tony voters in the audience that you couldn't fault the high energy performances.

ebontoyan
#48Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:14pm

That's how it works for me did not say it should work for you or others. If I missing shows well that's just my loss is it?! Being not from NYC, I research shows before I buy tix and so far in 2015 of the 10 shows I've seen in NYC the only  one I didn't like was On the Town.  I like to think my method works for me!

Updated On: 5/8/15 at 03:14 PM

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#49Which shows did you really want to like, but...
Posted: 5/8/15 at 3:26pm

I walked into the following this season with high hopes after glowing reviews (either here or abroad), and enthusiastic word-of-mouth ...

The Curious Incident of the the Dog in the Night-Time. Lots of antics on stage but not enough meat on the play for my tastes. Thought Ian Barford was excellent, however.

On the Town. The opening number was exhilarating and then ... a day-glo dinosaur appeared. Nope, not for me.

On the Twentieth Century. Was prepared to love this, but looked at my friend once the intermission lights came on and asked if we should cut our losses and flee. 

I will add Something Rotten! if only because the first week's chatter was so over-the-top positive that even though I historically have not enjoyed similar outings (e.g. The Producers, The Book of Mormon), I was willing to give it a shot with this cast. Big mistake. 

Videos