News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?

Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#1Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 8:17am

Or to put it like this: Would u rather have had Idina Menzel's job of creating Elphaba or would you rather have had Karen Olivo's task in WSS?

Updated On: 10/7/14 at 08:17 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 8:59am

Seems like you get to put your stamp on it in both cases, unlike taking over for someone in an ongoing show where they might want you to imitate the performance of the departing cast member...

Gothampc
#2Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 10:03am

This is a difficult question.

In a revival, a performer will always be compared to the original. People may say: Merman was the greatest Rose in Gypsy. And it's difficult for a performer to transcend that.

However, originating a role, there is no blueprint. An actor goes out there not knowing if the material will work or not. Whether the director is talented enough to help shape the performance. And in some cases, the original performer is having to learn new material within hours of going before an audience (new songs, new blocking or choreography).

My opinion is that originating a role is more difficult.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

nasty_khakis
#3Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 10:05am

I imagine both have their own difficulties and perks.

Creating a new role allows you more freedom and the possibility that they're writing it around you and your strengths/weaknesses. You also don't have to live up to anyone else. There is no chance of someone saying "she was ok, but she wasn't as good as So-and-So!" However, Brooke Shields has said she found it more difficult to find the character and I can understand that.

With reviving a role you definitely have expectations and predecessors to live up to. You need to toe the line between giving the people what the expect from a Mrs. Lovett (example) but still find your own Lovett and shatter a bit of the mold.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#4Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 10:05am

I think it may depend on how solid the material is at the beginning of rehearsals. If the creative team is still "finding" the show, an actor may have to start down many false roads as the "map" gets rewritten.

It should be said, however, that some actors LOVE that process.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#5Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 11:20am

A lot of times when originating a role, they write the material for you specifically as the actor, so I would say being in a revival is harder.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

mamaleh
#6Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 11:24am

Actually, Stephanie J. Block created Elphaba in the west coast workshops, before the role was given to Idina Menzel in preparation for the B'way production. They're both very able performers; must have been because Menzel was known from RENT.

Pootie2
#7Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 11:55am

^SJB did do the Elphaba readings, and then Menzel was cast for the California opening in preparation for the Broadway debut, with SJB as her standby/understudy. IIRC, there was a delay of several months in moving Wicked from Cali to Broadway so the creative team could rework Elphaba's character, so Menzel was part of that development. They really both originated Elphaba in that sense.

Oh, and as for which is more difficult... Looking at what happened in Wicked, I imagine that unless the creative team has a very clear idea of the characters and try-outs/previews are very kind and everyone (the public, critics) gets on board early and their feedback matches the creative vision, originating seems more difficult. Does originating just take a longer process too? Like around 2-plus years, but I don't know how long it takes to bring a revival to stage...

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin
Updated On: 10/7/14 at 11:55 AM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#8Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 12:10pm

I saw an interview with Idina and she said that its very difficult for the creative team to write the show, but easy for her since they were writing for her.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#9Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 12:15pm

I feel like it's missing a third choice: being typecast in the same role and frequently returning to it. That's got to be (have been, in some cases) hard on people like Carol Channing, Yul Brynner, or Ted Neeley, though I suspect they do make their peace with it at some point.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Pootie2
#10Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/7/14 at 12:16pm

"I saw an interview with Idina and she said that its very difficult for the creative team to write the show, but easy for her since they were writing for her."

That makes sense. I think both paths have very specific challenges, but maybe that also depends on the mix between actor and material.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin
Updated On: 10/7/14 at 12:16 PM

iloveidinamenzel Profile Photo
iloveidinamenzel
#11Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/8/14 at 8:03pm

SJB did some early readings - and was replaced by Idina during workshops toward the end of 2000. This was well before they were in preparation for the SF pre-Broadway tryout.

KathyNYC2
#12Which is harder: Originating a role or re-doing a role in a revival?
Posted: 10/8/14 at 8:26pm

SJB may have just done some "early readings" but she was involved with the project for years and I am sure a good part of Elphaba was written with her in mind. When they went with the name performer, because Idina has just been in the hit Rent, I am sure the role was adapted for her. But the role was definitely NOT created for Idina.

In terms of which is harder, I think the answer is "it depends". It certainly depends on the performers and what they prefer. But also, if it's a revival in all chances the show is a good show and worth revisiting..and so the role is pretty much there for the taking. Originating a role can be rewarding and like nothing else - except you run the risk of being in a klinker - so no matter what you do, there isn't much to work with.

Videos