News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What's going go into the St. James - Page 3

What's going go into the St. James

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#50What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/12/14 at 2:18pm

What goes in after that?

Poster Emeritus

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#51What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/12/14 at 4:14pm

I heard one of the songs from "Something Rotten" during the 5th Ave's Season Spotlight Night, and it was OK, though I'm not 100% sure it will be a hit, though I am judging it by one song.

If the 5th loses "Something Rotten", maybe we can get "Side Show" in it's place What's going go into the St. James

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#52What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:01pm

"Fun Home is all about Alison and her dad, the role Michael Cerveri"
I've seen it, I know what it's about and I guess it's open to debate but I'd call it a featured role.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#53What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:18pm

Cervaris was in the leading category for the Lortel awards. I really could see it as leading or featured. It seems like a case of just determining where the actor will be most successful.

EPA/ECCs were held a few weeks ago Something Rotten and Playbill said it was for an unspecified Broadway date, but friends who auditioned said that it was for late spring, pending theater availability. Basically what people have said here. I don't know if it's headed this spring, but I think it will 100% make it this year.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#54What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:19pm

SOMETHING ROTTEN is wonderful and genuinely hilarious. It could be a major last minute wrench thrown into the Tony game.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#55What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 12:26am

SOMETHING ROTTEN has been planning to come to Broadway this spring all along. The run in Seattle was basically their back-up plan in case a specific theater didn't open up for them. The producers were hoping for The Shubert, but it doesn't seem like MATILDA will be closing soon. The St. James is likely the next best thing for this show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#56What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 12:40am

Why wouldn't they want an out of town tryout though?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#57What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 12:43am

^ Because they're expensive. A lot of times shows will chance it and open cold.

Phillypinto
#58What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 12:47am

lol i know they're expensive. Thats a big risk though

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#59What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 2:53am

Out of town tryouts are a double edged sword . . . a good show for NYC may not get the best reviews regionally, and then get killed there. Even if they have planned changes, and make changes, the show arrives in NYC plagued with the ghost of the past reviews.

15minutecall
#60What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 3:03am

I'm intrigued. Please give examples of shows that were bad fits for regional sensibilities so became damaged in NY when if they'd just opened cold here all would have worked out well.

Phillypinto
#61What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 7:52am

I don't think reviews are all that important out of town. Look at Next to Normal and even Aladdin. Casey Nicholaw really changed Aladdin up drastically in the 2 out of town tryouts it had.

15minutecall
#62What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 8:38am

Next to Normal got bad reviews in DC?

Phillypinto
#63What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 8:49am

No it got raves in DC but before that, it played off Broadway to negative reviews. The point is, out of towns are a really good idea although not all shows need an out of town to be successful.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#64What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 9:06am

Next to Normal was NOT negatively received in its Off-Broadway run at Second Stage. That season, it was nominated for 2 Drama Desk Awards, including Outstanding Music, 3 Outer Critics Circle Awards, including Best Score and Best Off-Broadway Musical, and 2 Drama League Awards, including Best Musical.

The feeling about taking it out of town and then bringing it back to New York was more that there were elements that could be improved, and also that it was not commercially viable as a Broadway run unless it was somewhat re-tooled to speak to a broader audience. But the Second Stage version was already very good. In some ways, I prefer that version to the Broadway one.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 12/13/14 at 09:06 AM

indytallguy
#65What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 9:44am

mikem, did you intentionally switch to "received" from Phillypinto's use of "review"?

The reason I ask is Brantley's review of the Off-Broadway production was mixed, highlighting some positives but also offering some negative critique.

As we all know a show's reception can differ a great deal from the reviews, either positively or negatively.
Brantley on N2N Off-Broadway

Phillypinto
#66What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 10:31am

lol N2N might have gotten those nominations but it certainly was not critically acclaimed. They then made a ton of changes for DC and broadway

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#67What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 11:07am

From Patrick Healy in today's Times:

For all its great reviews and A-list creative team, the musical “Side Show” became the fastest flop of the fall Broadway season on Friday because of a deadly combination: middling ticket sales and another musical eager to grab its theater.

Those two factors led the musical’s landlord, Jujamcyn Theaters, to threaten to invoke the so-called stop clause in the rental agreement for “Side Show,” according to executives involved with the show. This led its producers on Friday to post a closing notice of Jan. 4, according to the producer, Darren Bagert.
Theater Owner Pushes ‘Side Show’ to Close

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#68What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 11:38am

Indytallguy, you are right that I wrote "received" rather than "reviewed" on purpose. Frankly, it was a lot easier to google the nominations that N2N received rather than trying to find all the old reviews, so I went that route. N2N is one of a very few shows that I've seen both Off and on Broadway, and I remember it well. Brantley's review is definitely mixed, but it's not a pan. If he's going to write stuff like 2 prior Tony nominees are doing their best work to date and that N2N is of real value for those who care about the possibilities of the American musical, that's not a pan.

Phillypinto is making it sound like the reviews were worse than they were. There is this weird mythology around N2N that the Second Stage version was horrible, horribly reviewed and horribly received. That was not the case.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

indytallguy
#69What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 2:28pm

Thanks mikem. I thought that might be the case as I didn't want to try and locate all those old reviews either, but Brantley came up pretty easily. And no it is definitely not a pan and has some high praise for some aspects. Much deserved in my opinion even thought I ultimately felt just OK about the show (saw it in DC and NYC).

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#70What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 2:31pm

I believe the tone of Next to Normal was the main change when they took it to DC. Wasn't it a dark comedy at Second Stage? I also think that Dan was revealed to be the crazy one at the end of the show, which they took out.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#71What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 3:30pm

Why would "Rotten" want to throw itself into the traffic jam that is lining up for the spring on Broadway? Here comes another no name show with no prior word of mouth (industry insider workshopers don't count)joining a plethora of competition for the award season. A great workshop followed by a successful out of town try out can only help build the brand and Broadway is all about the brand, bout the brand,bout the brand.

One thing it will have going for it is no one is going to be looking to push them out of the St. James until next September/October so they'll have a summer to build an audience.

Cannibalism at its height!

Up In One

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#72What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 5:02pm

So, they are skipping the run in Seattle all together?

https://www.5thavenue.org/show/something-rotten

It's a Musical from Something Rotten (MEH) Updated On: 12/13/14 at 05:02 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#73What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 6:22pm

I hope the rest of the score is better than that one! It didn't sound too original to me.

Phillypinto
#74What's going go into the St. James
Posted: 12/13/14 at 9:23pm

Is anybody else sick and tired of musicals about show business?

Videos