News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016- Page 6

WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016

MikeHuckabae
#125WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/23/15 at 1:59pm

dramamama611 said: "Great, another attention seeker to block.

"

I mean... it's a free country.

When I'm president, I'll unite the country AND Idina & Kristin. Give the people what they wait. #Chenzel #Huckabee2016 @MikeHuckabae

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
Different Drum
#127WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/23/15 at 2:48pm

Notwithstanding the troll's stupid comment, this show looks like it will be a near impossible sell to male audiences. Then again, that's clearly not the point with most Broadway musicals, and especially Waitress.

mailhandler777
#128WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/24/15 at 6:44am

MikeHuckabae said: "I don't like this show. It devalues the importance of a father in a child's life.

She should have stayed with her husband.

"

Why on earth would she stay with an abusive  and controlling husband??? 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#129WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/24/15 at 6:54am

liza is such an attention seeker

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#130WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/24/15 at 8:15am

Huckabee is nothing more than a troll. He should not be addressed.  After the statemw.t on this thread, I blocked him.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mailhandler777
#131WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/31/15 at 7:14am

I saw the show again yesterday. Changes were made with Earl. His first scenes with Jenna(leading up to Door Number Three) now includes the scene he had with her in Act 2(which was taken out). He's more controlling and abusive with Jenna now. Door Number Three was rewritten also. 

In Act 2 Everything Changes is now sung all the way through without the little scenes in between. A whole new scene with Jenna in the hospital with Becky, Dawn, Dr Pomatter and the baby was added after Everything Changes.The one thing I wish they wouldn't have taken out was when Jenna said "you delivered the baby and me" That one line was so powerful IMO. There were other small changes throughout the show.

Personally I think it's Broadway ready now with the changes they made.

Updated On: 8/31/15 at 07:14 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#132WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/31/15 at 7:51am

When did you first see the show? I saw what I think was the first frozen show (according to Paulus) and I certainly didn't think it was ready.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

mailhandler777
#133WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/31/15 at 3:05pm

^I saw it the first weekend of previews.

Charity was on a Becky yesterday. She's awesome and I think I liked her better then Keala. She's just as funny and not as over the top as Keala tends to be. Her "I Didn't Plan It" got the biggest applause in the whole show. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#134WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/31/15 at 9:57pm

I can't wait for this to transfers. Really loved it at the A.R.T. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#135WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/2/15 at 7:14pm

I finally caught this this past weekend and I was underwhelmed. Jessie Mueller is unquestionably the saving grace of this production - wow, she was remarkable. So real, so believable. Just perfect. I know the competition will be crazy this year, but her work is once again worthy of a Tony.

All of the music was quite good and very memorable - if anything, it's the placement of songs that needs more work. A lot of the moments just did not feel necessary to be musicalized. As others have mentioned,, the random dorky boyfriend character comes in and sings two below-average-not-funny songs that just have no place in this show whatsoever. But again, it's the book that needs the most attention here. A lot of the extra subplots need to be cut and the focus needs to stay on Mueller because she is so damn good, but also because her character is the story we are invested in. While I appreciated the other two waitresses and their friendships with Mueller, their stories are meaningless and very sitcomy. 

Maybe because I was lucky enough to see Fun Home not too long, but this just wasn't emotionally fulfilling.... actually, thinking of Fun Home, this might also do very well in the round. Diane Paulus has been one of my favorites for a while, I hope she can turn this one around for Broadway (a place I'm not sure it belongs - who is the target audience for this?!).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#136WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/3/15 at 1:41am

After seeing Finding Neverland, I'm thinking Paulus isn't as imaginative as we'd thought. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#137WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/3/15 at 7:23am

^Or maybe she should just be like Bartlett Sher and stick to doing revivals.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#138WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/3/15 at 1:15pm

Maybe this should be like FUNNY GIRL, kick the extraneous material and just make it a powerhouse for the star.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#139WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/3/15 at 8:55pm

Or Bombshell!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#140WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/3/15 at 9:42pm

I'm just not sure Paulus gets musical theatre. With a revival all the work is done for you. But with a new musical it's all about song placement, song development, etc. And I'm not sure she gets that. 

grayarea
#141WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/6/15 at 5:04pm

Saw the show again earlier this week after seeing the first preview. I believe the changes have been pretty minor (some lyrics changes to songs in Act 1 and as the poster said above, Everything Changes is now sung full-through without scenes in-between). The book still needs the most work if they want a successful run. Brought a couple of friends and we all agreed that the story development didn't necessarily support the ending well so I really hope they fix that.

I enjoyed the score more now than I did the first preview. I think it's largely due to the fixed sound issues and I could understand some of the lyrics better. Definitely enjoyed most of the songs even more, although I still think one of Ogie's solos should get cut.

Also, I think everyone's grown into their roles quite well so I'm hoping they all stay with the show through the Broadway premiere.

Updated On: 9/6/15 at 05:04 PM

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#142WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/6/15 at 5:33pm

Saw it today and noticed what someone had mentioned here a while ago: a substantial change since early previews in Earl's characterization. He used to have some soft edges and invite some ambivalence about him, or some comprehension (a glimpse?) of the part of him Jenna once loved. Today he seemed pure mean.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#143WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:18pm

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. I saw the show at A.R.T. end of August, and holy cow, was I impressed! 

I wanted to see this because I became a fan of Jessie Mueller after seeing her in Beautiful. Otherwise I didn't have that high expectations for the show (there are several movie-musicals I've seen that have been less than stellar).

Not surprisingly, Jessie Mueller was an absolute standout. 

Sara Bareilles's score is amazing! I can't wait for them to release a cast album. Very original, catchy and does a great job of advancing the plot and really highlighting the characters.

I had such a great time that I wanted to buy another ticket for a future date. Little did I know it was sold out. WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016 

Good for the show, though. WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 9/8/15 at 08:18 PM

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#144WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 9/9/15 at 3:40am

Several songs won't get out of my head. "She Used To Be Mine," "Bad Idea," "I Didn't Plan It," and "Everything Changes." I wish there were a cast recording. Right now.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#145WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 10/23/15 at 3:29pm

In case anyone is interested, Sara Bareilles released a second single from her Waitress concept album today. It's "Bad Idea" sung be her and Jason Mraz - sounds great! This is one of the upbeat, catchy numbers from the show and it sounds great.

You can also preorder the whole album "What's Inside: Songs from Waitress" on iTunes and Amazon. I think it comes out Nov. 6.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#146WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 10/23/15 at 3:39pm

Thanks NJ_BroadwayGirl!

Has there been any casting news beyond Mueller?

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#147WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 10/23/15 at 4:04pm

No additional casting that I'm aware of. I did see a chorus call somewhere - I wasn't looking for it so I can't remember the details.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#149WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 10/23/15 at 4:15pm

I'm sure it won't. She's been with Waitress since the beginning and they just recently announced her signing on for the lead role. I also doubt there is a conflict since it's only October now and she probably has a few months before rehearsals start. This is just a recurring role, not a series regular, so I can't imagine that would take precedent for her. (edited I accidentally said ABC Family as the network bc I misread the headline) Also, it's filming in New York so it's local.

It is funny that the synopsis says she's playing a sweet bakeshop employee considering her character in Waitress is a baker.

Updated On: 10/23/15 at 04:15 PM

Videos