News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Theatres/Shows on Long Island?

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#1Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/11/15 at 9:24am

We are going to visit family at the end of the month, and instead of driving two hours into the city and pay for parking to see a show, I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for shows that are currently running (and will be running through the end of September) around Long Island? We will be in the Center Moriches area, so if push comes to shove and theaters are further away I might just suck it up and drive into the city. 

I've been trying to Google some, but I'd rather hear your opinions (I see that there are productions of Bonnie & Clyde and Fatal Attraction).  Thank you in advance!

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#2Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:16pm

Port Jefferson has a nice little theater called Theatre Three on their Main Street - and it is a gorgeous town north on the north shore and a little west of where you are. Not sure what will be there when you are in town, possibly Sweeney Todd. They also have an improv show every Friday night at 10:30 which I can tell you from personal experience is fantastic.

I believe you will be closer to Riverhead so I would also look into Suffolk Theater, though I hear their management leaves something to be desired. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#3Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:48pm

LIRR in to the city will be more comfortable than driving and possibly cheaper, when you consider gas, tolls, and parking

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#4Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:50pm

I have enjoyed the few shows that I have seen at the Smithtown PAC so I trust that venue and will go back.  Arsenic and Old Lace will be there when you're in town. Might be fun.  

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#5Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:20pm

Totally forgot about the LIIR.

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will definitely look into those theaters more.

dreamcoat12 Profile Photo
dreamcoat12
#6Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/12/15 at 1:44am

Bonnie and Clyde at CMPAC in Oakdale

Arsenic and Old Lace at Smithtown Theater in Smithtown

Sweeney Todd at Theatre Three in Port Jeff

West Side Story at Engemen in Northport

Fatal Attraction at Bayway in East Islip

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#7Theatres/Shows on Long Island?
Posted: 9/13/15 at 1:14am

The Bellport Gateway Playhouse, on the south shore of Western Suffolk, used to be the place to go for the best "near-Broadway experience." A comfortable, intimate little theater with live musicians and leads who belonged to Actor's Equity and had some good credits. I saw very good productions of South Pacific and Fiddler on the Roof there. Their shows were reviewed in Long Island newspapers and often in the Times.

I think that they may be past their prime now. The number of their seasonal shows dropped from six to five. They bought and renovated an old theater in nearby Patchogue, which is not so comfortable and intimate, and use if for many of the shows that figure to be the most popular. This year it was Billy Elliot. At they playhouse they presented Nice Work starring Sally Struthers (in the past they didn't fish for celebrities, giving talent first priority). I don't know what part Sally played since she is 68.

They are also always fighting with the residents of this very toney village over noise and traffic. Oddly, just a few miles north of the prestigious Bellport on the water is the most violent and gang-infested area on the Island.

Videos