News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Theater in Chicago

jbm2
#1Theater in Chicago
Posted: 10/5/22 at 7:10pm

Heading to Chicago next week. Oct 12-16 

many must see shows? Would love any recommendations.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Theater in Chicago
Posted: 10/5/22 at 7:21pm

If you’re up for a good cry, head over to Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier, and go see The Notebook

Oh look, a bibu!

JasonC3
#3Theater in Chicago
Posted: 10/5/22 at 8:57pm

Kokandy Productions Sweeney Todd

Goodman's Clyde (last week) or Swing State by Rebecca Gilman, in previews.

Lyric Opera's Fiddler.

Sweeney, Clydes, and Fiddler have all been on Goldstar or Chicago Hot Tix at one time or another.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#4Theater in Chicago
Posted: 10/5/22 at 9:40pm

The Notebook at Chicago Shakespeare is pretty swell and Navy Pier is nice if your visit is short. 

The show currently on Second City's Mainstage "Do the Right Thing, No Worries If Not" Is one of the better ones in recent memory. If sketch comedy isn't your thing, obviously avoid. 

Clyde's is the same production (including some of the actors) that appeared on Broadway. I think it plays a bit better now but if you've already seen the production you don't need to see it again. Unless you want to I guess. 

Souther Gothic is sort of an alright play but the production is immersive and fun. You wander around a house with the characters at a dinner party and follow the stories you want to. It's right in the loop (adjacent to The Goodman) so it's very accessible if you're staying in the area.

The tiny production of Sweeney Todd in the basement of the Chopin is a delight. If I hadn't seen the pie shop production a few years ago I'd say it was a real revelation. Even if you did see that one... it's worthwhile. 

There's two world premiere's that show real promise. Swing State at the Goodman. Rebecca Gillman in a political mode with two of our best actresses, Mary Beth Fisher and Kirsten Fitzgerald and former Broadway Scorpious, Bubba Weiler. At A Red Orchid, Brett Neveu premiere' a "sequel" to the Magnificent Ambersons, The Malignant Ampersands. Since it hasn't played a performance yet, I can't speak to the quality of the script but A Red Orchid's shows are usually as intimate, intense, and Chicago as things get. 

Unfortunately, Fiddler will be closed before you arrive. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#5Theater in Chicago
Posted: 10/5/22 at 11:36pm

Every lead player in SWEENEY TODD is seriously good. The production is in the round, with three to four rows of seats. Take the blue line train to Division. 

FRANKENSTREISAND is camp and naughty, presented by Hell in a Handbag. Though noise from the adjacent bar bleeds into the performance space, you can order specialty cocktails to help lessen the annoyance. Drink choices include the Evergreen, the Champ, and The Way We Were. Take the brown line train to Damen.

jbm2
#6Theater in Chicago
Posted: 10/24/22 at 9:47pm

I saw The Notebook and absolutely fell in love with it. What is the future of the show? Is there any talked to bring it to Broadway?

jbm2
#7Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/4/22 at 3:47pm

Is anyone familiar with Goodmans New Stages festival? I u sweat and there are readings- but of the 2 staged shows, how fully staged are they? 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#8Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/4/22 at 4:00pm

The staging depends on the show, sometimes the staging can very elaborate but with minimal sets and costuming. Usually the sets and costuming is enough to fill out the world of the play, it just meant not be at the level a full production would be. You will feel like you've seen a full, if low budget, production. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

SouthernCakes
#9Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/4/22 at 5:09pm

Would it be awkward to go to Southern Gothic alone? Anyone seen Swing State?

BalconyClub
#10Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/4/22 at 6:06pm

I liked SWING STATE. Great writing. There are lobby warnings about gunshots and suicide.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#11Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/4/22 at 6:09pm

Heading to Chicago next week. Any suggestions for what’s running now?

BalconyClub
#12Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/4/22 at 6:15pm

For something completely different, you may want to check out THE WIZARDS. They should market this wildly uneven production as a 3-hour Fringe Fest Show. Playing at the APO cultural center on 18th Street, this badly lit tableau uses every open space of the cabaret setup to tell its story.

I’m glad I stuck around for Act 2, as I especially liked the tug-of-war with the occupied wheelchair as well as the attack with the golf clubs.

jbm2
#13Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/5/22 at 1:12am

Lavieboheme3090 said: "Heading to Chicago next week. Any suggestions for what’s running now?"

Swing State at the Goodman

Hyde Park Hildy
#14Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/5/22 at 2:33am

I went to Southern Gothic alone and I didn't find it awkward. I wasn't terribly impressed with the play, however.

Kokandy's production of Sweeney Todd is wonderful, as is Porchlight's revival of Rent, which I just saw tonight. I also liked Timeline's production of the Alice Childress play, Trouble in Mind, which I saw in previews this week.

I've had excellent luck this year with digital lotteries for Chicago shows. I was able to score $30 tickets for four different touring Broadway shows, and I won the tickets on my first try for three of the shows and on my second try for the fourth. The seats were great in every case (in the first few rows center). My most recent lottery show was Wicked, which is still running here. I wasn't crazy about the show (it was the first time I'd seen it) but it was extremely well-acted and well-sung and the production values are high.

I'm seeing Swing State at the Goodman next week. If you want to see it I suggest you buy your tickets soon as the remaining shows appear to be close to selling out.

Updated On: 11/5/22 at 02:33 AM

JasonC3
#15Theater in Chicago
Posted: 11/5/22 at 7:09am

The Theatre in Chicago site is a good one-stop resources for listings, reviews, and discounts.

Videos