News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Color Purple closing Jan 8- Page 3

The Color Purple closing Jan 8

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#50The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:17pm

That was amazing. Thank you LesWickedly for the heads up on that.

smidge
#51The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:18pm

Looks like she started crying during it. So glad I got to see her for a third time, even if it wasn't live this time

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#52The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:26pm

My nerves are so shot from that live stream.  How special that we were able to watch it as it was happening.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#53The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:41pm

I never understand why people feel the need to scream over the top of a performance they are apparently enjoying. For example, the last note was completely drowned out in praise. Do they want to hear themselves screaming over it or the actual final note of the performance? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

smidge
#54The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:53pm

qolbinau said: "I never understand why people feel the need to scream over the top of a performance they are apparently enjoying. For example, the last note was completely drowned out in praise. Do they want to hear themselves screaming over it or the actual final note of the performance? 

Agreed. I love Miss Cynthia as much as the next person. And that's because I like hearing her voice, and not my screaming

"

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#55The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 5:55pm

someone posted the video of when Hillary entered the theater, damn! Wish I could've been in that room!

https://youtu.be/YIE4CNjUQGI

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#56The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 6:20pm

Here's a longer, closer video of the Clintons arriving https://twitter.com/OnceUponARoss/status/818219802095394817

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#57The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:14pm

SarahNYC2
#58The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:30pm

I am so thankful to this board that I went to see it. I was hesitant as the movie and book traumatized me as a teenager. However on Christmas Day I was in NYC with nothing to do in the evening, and asked advice on this board about what to see from TKTS-Beautiful, Waitress or The Color Purple (all were being listed as available).

Almost everyone said The Color Purple. I am so glad I saw it, and saw Cynthia in it. What an amazing performance and show.

@z5
#59The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:38pm

Who cares that two lying, corrupt politicians were there? People should be celebrating an amazing show and incredible cast. Not that a cheater and unfaithful person  and his lying wife were there. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#60The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:40pm

@z5 said: "Who cares that two lying, corrupt politicians were there? People should be celebrating an amazing show and incredible cast. Not that a cheater and unfaithful person  and his lying wife were there. 

"

Delete your account 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:41pm

No one asked YOU to celebrate them.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#62The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:42pm

@z5 said: "Who cares that two lying, corrupt politicians were there? People should be celebrating an amazing show and incredible cast. Not that a cheater and unfaithful person  and his lying wife were there. 

"

I was actually waiting for you to show up and bash the popular vote winner who lost to a egoistic sexist racist damogogue who also colluded with Russia.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#63The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:43pm

That video clip shows why I can't stand going to final performances. They are filled with "fans" who in their desire (desperation?) to show their "love" make the event selfishly all about themselves. Let the woman sing the damn song.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

tomwsjr
#64The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 7:43pm

This person must be one of the Trump deplorables!

@z5
#65The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 8:01pm

The hatefulness of a difference of opinion and truth about an individual is so gross And "deplorable."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 8:19pm

well, having just got home from the closing show & had a chance to breathe, here's the how the show went.

Frankly I didn't care what celebrities were showing up. there was a big stampede in the mezzanine of everyone rushing down to see who it was. I had assumed it was Oprah, but word spread quickly it was the Clintons. Anyways, on to the show. First standing O came when the company walked on stage for their places. "Mysterious Ways" blew the roof off the Jacobs. The energy was crazy, the audience was so into the number. Rema, Carla, Bre & Patrice all did a little extra with their solos. Carrie Compere gave Sofia just a little extra attitude & fire. Her "Hell, No" was outstanding! Second standing O came during Holliday's entrance. Her "Push da Button" was insane. The cast was so into it & half way through Holliday just let loose and did her thing(thus resulting in the third Standing O). Ervio, who typical stands in the back during the number, came forward slightly and just raised her hands up as Holliday walked to her chair. "Too Beautiful For Words" & "What About Love" made me lose it. The connection between Erivo & Holliday is something special and their emotions just sent the songs to another level.

Fourth Standing O came during the closing of Act 1. Fifth Standing O came during Erivo's "I May Be Poor". The scene leading up to this was so intense & then Erivo just let herself go. Holliday's "The Color Purple" made me lose it again. She brings something else to the role of Shug, something Hudson completely missed & made it that much more emotional. "Miss Celie's Pants" brought another standing O & before the reprise Erivo breaks to quite to audience and says "Some of us want to go home at some point". Carrie & Kyle's final "Any Little Thing" was wild. They were so into it & each other. Then came "I'm Here". You've seen the video, but the moment when Erivo breaks down is when everyone in the audience also breaks down & yet rises up to cheer her along. The standing O happened at that exact point. I was actually worried that during this I'd witness the same thing that occured during Fantasia's final show/"I'm Here". But I thought the audience was very respectful during this number and throughout the whole show. Then the final standing O came during the finale. I LOVED that all four swings joined the cast during this number. SO much emotion on stage & off during the finale. I can't express how much the show made me feel. The connection the show made with the audience. It's hard to believe how different the revival was from the original production.And I truly hope Erivo comes back to Broadway as soon as she's ready. I'll miss it & all the show gave to everyone that saw it.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#67The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 8:21pm

It was an extraordinary day.  From Cynthia Erivo opening her dressing room window to let the people standing in line waiting for the doors to open know how much she loved this experience to the final moments of the cast on stage - it was a day I'll never forget.  

I was so fortunate to have seen this show 3 times -- with Jennifer Hudson, Heather Headley and today with Jennifer Holliday in the role of Shrug Avery:  each bringing their own special sparkle to the role -- it was truly a gift and each time I walked away feeling blessed to have been there. 

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#68The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 8:24pm

the NY Times reports the follow celebrities were also in attendance for the final show:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/08/theater/hillary-clinton-the-color-purple-closing-performance.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

"Among those in the audience were Jonathan Groff, Mariska Hargitay, Gayle King, Debra Messing, Leslie Odom Jr., Billy Porter, Phylicia Rashad and Anna Wintour."

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#69The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 9:14pm

I didn't see Anna Wintour, but I saw the others.  Also, Anthony Ramos, and the woman who played Peggy (I forgot her name!) were next to me.   I met Cynthia Erivo's mother during intermission.  She was seated in front of me and was chatting with those around her.  So very lovely!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

sydney16
#70The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 9:23pm

^^ I'm so jealous, I saw Anthony Ramos and Jasmine Cephas Jones across the theater and freaked out! The original Shrug Avery was there, and so was Maddie Baillio, who sat directly in front of me.

Updated On: 1/8/17 at 09:23 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#71The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 10:56pm

I was at closing today and it was an out-of-body experience.

Also, to the person who said the audience was trying to join in with Cynthia during "I'm Here," that simply isn't true. The audience was indeed insanely supportive and loud today, but everybody was in total silence while she got through the first chunk of the song. When she turned to face the audience to head into the final chunk of the song, though, she got to some lines and they physically couldn't escape her body. She had tears streaming down her face and she literally couldn't get the words out. The audience stood and cheered her on not to feel self-important in the moment, but to rally her through the final moments and lines. It was totally transcendent, and she fought through to nail the ending.

This was my sixth or seventh time at the show, and I'll never forget today, let alone this production as a whole. Happiest of trails to every single person at the Jacobs. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#72The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 11:00pm

Also, not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet, but today is Ms. Erivo's 30th birthday. How amazing is that?

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#73The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 11:12pm

Thank you ACL2006 for that recap.  My 6th trip and my husband's second...and our very first closing.  We are so glad to have made the trip and to have shared it with 4 friends and someone I sold a ticket to at face value on the cancellation line.  She was so happy and appreciative!  

The standing ovations seemed non-stop!  And all the way in row K rear mezz, I'd take out my binoculars to see emotions on their faces.  During Cynthia's "I'm Here" I could tell without binoculars that she got so emotional and I wept when she cracked right before thankful for everyday that I'm given.  That line must have resonated with her journey on stage night after night that it just choked her up.  The FB live video picked up a lot of the audience.  In person, you could hear Cynthia clearly.  It was an electrifying afternoon of theater.  I can only imagine how other beloved closings have been, but this was a cross between theater and church!  Their farewell number was so moving, the men were crying, hands up in praise, slumped over in submission of the blessings they've received.  Jennifer and Cynthia had their bouquets taken from their arms and they improvised and brought it full throttle!  And at the end, the never ending huddle and praise.  Just wow for me.  I'm so glad I fell in love with this show.  The Color Purple closing Jan 8

Updated On: 1/8/17 at 11:12 PM

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#74The Color Purple closing Jan 8
Posted: 1/8/17 at 11:24pm

Thank you so much for posting the video of "Total Praise" @haterobics! 

Updated On: 1/8/17 at 11:24 PM

Videos