News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?- Page 3

Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?

theactorsociety Profile Photo
theactorsociety
#50re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:32am

Sweet Charity is already a bad show in the genre of hit shows like 42nd St. and Thoroughly Modern Millie. Though the sets were very cool, the choreography was good community theater choreography and the stars were not so good as to pull an ok show. If someone as strong as Sutton Foster was the lead, it may have gone a little farther.

#51re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:48pm

Gwen sadly was deemed by studios to have a face that wouldn't work on film--I forget the exact awful quote. they wouldn't have funded a big budget musical with her in the lead...

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#52re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/23/07 at 9:32pm

It had a tryout performance in Minneapolis and was a total disaster. The producers had no respect for the material and managed to kill all character development by cutting numbers. You Should See Yourself, which sets up Charity's character was cut and the show opened with Big Spender. By doing so, Charity is set up as a tramp, but you can't really care for her.

Sets and costumes were wrongheaded choices. They hauled out this long couch and counter piece for If My Friends Could See Me Now and she NEVER DANCED ON TOP OF IT! What was the point of the set piece?

Most of the secondary characters were pushed in the backdrop, so Charity's friendships with Nicky and Helene were eliminated. Christina Applegate tried hard, and was as good as she could be, but she was merely channeling Shirley MacLaine, presumably because she had no direction.

A few years before this revival I saw a high school production that one of my students was in. The thing lasted 4 hours, but it was better than this revival.
Overall, the show was a disaster. I'm surprised it opened and played as long as it did, because it was terrible.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan
Updated On: 2/23/07 at 09:32 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#53re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/23/07 at 9:39pm

you do know all those tryout changes were dropped by the time the show got to Broadway, right?

#54re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/24/07 at 12:13am

I forgot that they opened with Big Spender! what a crackpot of an idea! Good lord! How logn did that last? The peoplehave already paid their 100 dollars--it's not liek they're gonna walk out if they don't hear Big Spender in the first 20 mins...

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#55re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/24/07 at 3:55am

How was the ending different from the original? I thought Oscar left her in the original as well.

SporkGoddess
#56re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/24/07 at 11:23am

My sister saw the revival tour and hated it (though she didn't see Applegate.) She thought that it was one of the dumbest shows ever. Reading a synopsis, I'm inclined to agree with her, and have no desire to see it when the tour with Molly Ringwald hits my city.

I actually saw the Tonys performance, and to say that the choreography is "bland" doesn't even begin to describe it. I was so unbelievably bored during that performance. Then again, maybe it was Christina Applegate. Or both.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 2/24/07 at 11:23 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#57re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/24/07 at 3:25pm

What's sad is that people who saw this revival without previous knowledge of the Fosse legacy think that this is what Sweet Charity is about, and it isn't.
The original recording with Gwen Verdon, Hellen Gallagher, and John McMartin is one of my favorite cast recordings, it has such magic and boasts amazing performances, one of the few albums I have that I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping a song. The film features Fosse's brilliant choreography and we get more of that in the Fosse DVD that features "Rich Man's Frug" and "Big Spender" as well as the clip from the Sullivan show with Verdon dancing "I'm A Brass Band."
This may sound hardcore but the revival in a way insulted the legacy of the original production.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

#58re: Sweet Charity 2005 Revival: What Went Wrong?
Posted: 2/28/07 at 3:00am

Ray I agree--I list Charity as a "problem show" I love because I think it (like maybe Pippin?) only really works in its original production--partly because Fosse, while he didn't write it was the guy who came up witht eh concept and his stagings were written into the original work from the beginning--it's as much a part of the show IMHO as the book or songs--more so than many other major productions of musicals.

What DVD has the SUllivan clip of Brass Band? I have about 9 tapes of Sullivan clips and have the two from Sweet Charity which are great but would love a DVD quality

Videos