News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Spring Awakening Understudies

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#1Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 2:21pm

has anyone seen an understudy go on for any of the major parts?..i'm curious to see how they were?..
Updated On: 1/1/08 at 02:21 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 2:36pm

I saw Alexandra Soscha go on for Wendla, and thought she was great. Just as good as Lea Michelle.

I have also seen Jesse Swenson play Melchior, and he was ok, but not even in the same league as Jonathan Groff.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#2re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 2:37pm

I saw Matt Doyle go on as Melchior for both shows on his first day doing it ever. He was incredible--in a lot of ways I preferred him to Groff though he is amazing too.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#3re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 2:40pm

for some reason..i can't imagine anyone else as melchoir and wendla..i'll have to see new people in the role..to me..lea michele and johnathon groff are the best..

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#4re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 2:42pm

I've seen both Matt and Jesse go on for Melchior and both were fantastic. Matt's probably the strongest Melchior - his voice is absolutely amazing and his acting is out of this world.

I also saw Gerard Canonico go on for Moritz and he was incredible. The boy is brilliant in every role he goes on for. He's probably the strongest cast member in the show.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#5re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 2:43pm

I really want to see Gerard's Moritz.
Updated On: 1/1/08 at 02:43 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 3:04pm

I also saw Drew Tyler Bell go on as Hanschen...he was fine.

I'd really like to see Doyle play Melchior sometime...seems I got the short end of the understudy stick with Swenson.

Has anyone seen Phoebe Stroele play Wendla? How is she?

antiandrewx
#7re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 3:11pm

Haven't seen Phoebe as Wendla, but I've seen her as Ilse and she was amazing! She's by far my favorite Ilse; her interpretation was wonderful.

Gerard as Georg is great as well - his Touch Me solo is one of the best things ever. It's so good.

toni3
#8re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 3:31pm

I've seen Phoebe as Wendla twice. While I enjoyed her performance, I think I still prefer Lea Michele. Phoebe did deliver some lines differently than Lea, which was nice and new. Her voice however is a bit weak.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#9re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 5:16pm

is her voice as good as lea michele?..b/c lea's voice is amazing!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#10re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 5:21pm

I have only seen Phoebe's Wendla, and Lea's, and I much prefer Lea's.

Lea's acting is not her strongest point, but its not bad. Her singing makes up for it, and I love her performance.

I really disliked Phoebe's portrayal. Her acting was comparable to Lea's, but her singing was weak (as someone said) and all around bad.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#11re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 6:47pm

I saw Jen Damiano as Ilse and she was unbelivable. It was her first time going on in the role and went I talked to JGJ he told me he couldnt believe how amazing she is. I love her portrayal and she is just so nice. And i concur that Gerard singing touch me is amazing!

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

jake6970
#12re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 6:51pm

Jenn is amazing. So happy to see her moving on in a new role, not understudying anything.

brainlessorwise Profile Photo
brainlessorwise
#13re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 8:20pm

I've seen Matt Doyle as Melchior and I think he is better than Groff. I saw Phoebe's Ilse and her voice was weak. I saw Jesse as Georg and it was awful. I can't believe that he would be good as Melchior. I saw Gerard and Georg and it blew me away.

itwontbelongnowx Profile Photo
itwontbelongnowx
#14re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 8:26pm

I've seen Eryn Murman go on as Ilse and she is my favorite Ilse. The way she captures the character is unbelievable! Alexandra Socha and I were talking about Eryn's portrayal of Ilse and how incredible she is.

Speaking of Alexandra Socha, I've seen her understudy Wendla. She has a voice that is definitely more raw than Lea's and she has a younger feel to the character, in my opinion. I'm dieing to see Phoebe as Wendla.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#15re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 8:32pm

anyone know if anyone from the cast is taking a vacation soon?

antiandrewx
#16re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 8:34pm

Lea's doing 'Alive in the World' which is on January 13th and 14th at 7pm so Lea will have to miss the 7pm performance on the 13th...

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#17re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 8:36pm

hmmm so does anyone have an idea who will be covering wendla on the 13th?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 8:56pm

"Speaking of Alexandra Socha, I've seen her understudy Wendla. She has a voice that is definitely more raw than Lea's and she has a younger feel to the character, in my opinion."

I agree. That's what I really liked about her.

I really want to see Matt Doyle go on as Melchior now, after reading all of these positive comments.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#19re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 1/1/08 at 9:04pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=941577

guyes look at this thread..it talks about matt doyle going on for groff for the first time july 14th..

if i recall wasn't Johnathon B. Wright an understudy for Melchoir in the beginning?.

i just checked my playbill from the end of december and he is not listed as a melchoir understudy..ONLY Jesse and Matt asre listed Updated On: 1/23/08 at 09:04 PM

xoangel2789xo
#20re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 2/5/08 at 10:48pm

jesse swenson as melchior...he was okay in my opinion.

matt doyle as otto, ernst, and hanschen. he's just amazing. i got a kick out of how I saw him play ernst and then the next time I saw it he was hanschen >.< great voice and stuff. after seeing him do all these roles I would love to see him as melchior, always hearing good things about him in that role.

eryn murman as ana and ilse...can't really remember her as ana but she was a good ilse.

drew tyler bell as hanschen. he was good, but i like johnny b. wright more.

There was a day where all the male swings were on...but all I remember is that matt doyle was otto >.<

I'd like to see gerard as moritz and socha as wendla since i'm always hearing good things about that...

yup.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#21re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 2/5/08 at 11:30pm

Does Remy understudy anyone?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

antiandrewx
#22re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 2/5/08 at 11:31pm

Nope.

kikki327 Profile Photo
kikki327
#23re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 2/5/08 at 11:51pm

Matt Doyle as Hanschen and Otto. He's fantastic.

Drew Tyler Bell as Hanschen, his acting was great, but I thought his singing was ok.

Eryn as Anna...I love her voice!

Brian Charles Johnson as Moritz....um...I know a lot of people liked him, but I was so dissapointed. Don't Do Sadness was such a let down....I felt like all of his emotion was in his right hand because he kept shaking it the whole time. Don't get me wrong he was great for going on for the first time, but hes no Moritz for me.

Jesse as Georg...again I know people didnt like him but I thought he was really good. I really want to see him as Melchior!

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#24re: Spring Awakening Understudies
Posted: 2/6/08 at 6:40am

brian may sound like a moritz but he does not look like on..attleast to me

Videos