News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!

So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!

Balthazar Chasen
#1So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/10/15 at 4:42pm

It's so random it's scary, yet it's a bit of a peeve.  When Cady Huffman won her Tony for The Producers, she began her acceptance speech by adlibbing, "There are so many of you...."  (Presumably, to thank for getting her to this point in her career.) 

A dozen years later Judith Light wins a 2nd-year-in-a-row Tony (for The Assembled Parties) & begins her acceptance speech with the EXACT SAME PHRASE:  "There are so many of you...." (Again, the context being to thank for her achievement.) Light delivered this line with the same flustered, "I'm-a-nervous-wreck" tone of voice as Huffman.

Now here's the scary random question:  Do you think Judith Light deliberately copied & "plagiarized" -- so to speak -- Cady Huffman's opening words from her acceptance speech, to achieve the same sparkling impact when her fantasy awards show moment became a reality? (Thinking no one would remember Huffman's opening remark.)

Answers/assessments are welcome, or you can dismiss & scroll by, or -- alternatively -- contact the mental health authorities on my behalf.  :)  

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#2So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/10/15 at 4:46pm

I doubt that she copied her on purpose. I would like to think this is a pretty common phrase at some point in people's speeches, though I could be wrong. I don't really know why you consider this scary or a peeve though.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/10/15 at 4:50pm

I no longer know what scary or random mean.

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#4So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/10/15 at 5:05pm

I think it's purely coincidence. Seems like a common way one would start an acceptance speech.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
willep
#6So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/11/15 at 12:21am

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a bit in The Producers:

Max or Leo (I forget): "Roll them in the aisles."

Ulla: "I'll try, but there are so many of them!"

Or something like that?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#7So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/11/15 at 12:44am

"There's so many of you" in both instances is in reaction to the amount of people in the audience at Radio City Music Hall.  It is their first reactions upon getting to the stage.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/11/15 at 6:14am

^This.

And really.....a plagiarized opening line, especially one as innocuous as this? Pretty sure a line has to be unique,  before it can be plagiarized.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Balthazar Chasen
#9So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/11/15 at 3:33pm

Thanks for these responses!

I especially find illuminating Ulla's line from The Producers. 

Also, the interpretation that the winner was referring to the many audience members in Radio City Music Hall seems plausible. 

Still I think Light saw Huffman's 2001 acceptance speech & deliberately planned beforehand to begin her 2013 speech the exact same way...a conscious imitation of Huffman. 

Phyllis Rogers Stone
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/11/15 at 3:43pm

Balthazar Chasen said: "Still I think Light saw Huffman's 2001 acceptance speech & deliberately planned beforehand to begin her 2013 speech the exact same way...a conscious imitation of Huffman. "

Did I really just read this??

Updated On: 12/11/15 at 03:43 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#12So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/11/15 at 3:49pm

when her fantasy awards show moment became a reality? (Thinking no one would remember Huffman's opening remark.)

Seeing as how she won the year before too, would she not have said it then? She must have dying to use that zinger, especially having saved it up for twelve years. Maybe she didn't' want it to be too obvious.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

willep
#13So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/12/15 at 12:38am

I think if you were to get up on the stage at Radio City in front of a packed house your first thoughts would be "Holy ****, that's a lot of people." So the first thing out of my mouth would probably be pretty close to what those ladies said too.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#14So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/12/15 at 8:04pm

Not sure about Light, but Huffman was certainly using the line from The Producers in her acceptance speech.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#15So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
Posted: 12/12/15 at 8:16pm

Oh, yeah, you're right! I totally forgot about that moment in the show.

The plot thickens.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Videos