News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

She Loves Me

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25She Loves Me
Posted: 2/16/16 at 7:33pm

Alessio2 said: "ClydeBarrow, I am 6'3"..."

I'm 6'3" as well. I sat in the rear mezzanine for Therese Raquin. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world by any means, but I managed.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 2/16/16 at 07:33 PM

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#26She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 12:28am

Random question. Does anyone know when the HipTix Party is? It was supposed to be Feb 18, but then the first preview was pushed back to Feb 19, so....

About the dates, like I said, the first "extension" was a bit weird. As far as I remember, July 5 was the date that was announced, but then tickets only went on sale through mid-June and that was at the time the closing date given on the Roundabout website. Then it "extended" and went on sale for the additional 2 weeks or whatever through July 5. I didn't consider it an extension at the time, just going back what they had said all along. But when I asked them a little later if there was a possibility of an extension, Roundabout replied this "The July 5th is already an extended date from our original end date even before the show opened due to demand". So they seemed to consider it as such.

I'm a huge Kristin Chenoweth fan (for anyone who hasn't notice), so naturally I was VERY invested in this show and everything happening (and in the process getting extremely irritated with Roundabouts "customer service", but that's another story.)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#27She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:32am

I'm so excited about this production, but I think their marketing doesn't capture the beauty and maturity of the show. The pink background with glittery-gold letters doesn't seem to strike the right tone, and referring to what is probably one of the most unabashedly romantic musicals as "Romantic-ish" worries me.

That being said, this is one of my favorite shows and scores, and I'm sure this production and these performers will do a wonderful job.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

aj88
#28She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:42am

givesmevoice said: "I'm so excited about this production, but I think their marketing doesn't capture the beauty and maturity of the show. The pink background with glittery-gold letters doesn't seem to strike the right tone, and referring to what is probably one of the most unabashedly romantic musicals as "Romantic-ish" worries me.

That being said, this is one of my favorite shows and scores, and I'm sure this production and these performers will do a wonderful job."

I agree completely. The show has such an elegant, romantic feel but the advertising doesn't give off that vibe. Roundabout designs can be hit or miss sometimes.

Nevertheless, I am still extremely excited to see this as it is one of my favorite musicals ever. I have tickets for the 1st preview on Friday (although when I got them in September, I purposefully wanted to avoid the first couple of weeks of previews....then that changed...oh well). 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#29She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:49am

This one will have to be carried solely by the reviews and word of mouth (very likely to happen with these performers and the great word-of-mouth reviews the Roundabout stage concert received). I agree the marketing is very weak.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#30She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 10:06am

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "This one will have to be carried solely by the reviews and word of mouth (very likely to happen with these performers and the great word-of-mouth reviews the Roundabout stage concert received). I agree the marketing is very weak."

Although I imagine trying to strike the right balance of earnest and urbane in the marketing must be a challenge. I'm going with a friend who has never seen the show and only knows bits of the score, and I am so looking forward to seeing her fall as in love with the show as I have. It's hard to get across just how perfect the show is.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Alessio2
#31She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 6:59pm

bwayphreak234, how is the view from the rear mezz? I'm looking at pics of the theater and it looks reaaaaally high up there!! haha...is it ok? or should I splurge on more expensive tix....I'm just already spending so much money on theater tix for this trip that I'm trying to save a bit with the hiptix.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#32She Loves Me
Posted: 2/17/16 at 11:37pm

Roundabout has to double up on its four theaters, so some times extensions are limited. Noises Off at the American Airlines is leaving in mid-March and Long Day's Journey into Night begins previews in that theater on April 1st.

But She Loves Me is at Studio 54, and the next show for that theater is Holiday Inn which begins previews on September 1st. So it isn't theater availability that is limiting its run.

theatreguy12
#33She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 1:15am

Can't wait to see this, givesmevoice.   I've heard so many say it is absolutely the perfect musical.  I can't wait to see why.  

All I know is it's one of the few cast recordings I've bought without having actually seen the show.  And I love every song.  It just seems so great.  The first time I heard it was back in the 90s, and have been waiting patiently for a revival.  And here it is.

I agree about the marquee sign.  It's okay, but doesn't seem to catch the whimsy that the 90s version had.  I really liked that version.

At any rate….seriously looking forward to it.

Tkristop
#34She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 6:11am

Do you think this just could be Roundabouts approach?  I just noticed Long Day's Journey...on Playbill website is listed as playing through July 17 and Roundabouts site says "on sale through" June 26.  Maybe they see how sales are going and if good enough they announce extension thru July.  Since I will be visiting in July and would like to see it I hope that sales are good!

pupscotch
#35She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 7:00am

Anyone know if there will be a cast recording of this cast? I hope they do record one, but since it's a limited engagement I was just curious.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#36She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 7:17am

For whatever it's worth, I've sat in the rear mezz for Sunday in the Park and Drood, and the seat was fine. It's a big tight, but the view is great and if the ticket is from Hiptix it's a pretty great price.

I can't wait to see this in April. I agree that the marketing feels somewhat off, but this cast seems so perfect for their roles, and it's such a charming musical. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#37She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 9:06am

Tkristop said: "Do you think this just could be Roundabouts approach?  I just noticed Long Day's Journey...on Playbill website is listed as playing through July 17 and Roundabouts site says "on sale through" June 26.  Maybe they see how sales are going and if good enough they announce extension thru July.  Since I will be visiting in July and would like to see it I hope that sales are good!

I know that when Emma Stone took over the role of Sally in Cabaret, that revival was really revived. It extended for two weeks, jacked up the ticket prices, and doubled the number of premium seats.

So Roundabout is very money-sensitive and they probably do start selling tickets for a minimum run in case the show is losing money. As much love as there is for this musical here, it's not one that is particularly well known to the general public. Maybe if they replace Laura with Reese Witherspoon.

woeisme3
#38She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 10:52am

OlBlueEyes said: "Roundabout has to double up on its four theaters, so some times extensions are limited. Noises Off at the American Airlines is leaving in mid-March and Long Day's Journey into Night begins previews in that theater on April 1st.

I wish BEAUTIFUL wasn't hogging the Stephen Sondheim and the roundabout could put shows in it again- I wish shows like Noises Off could get extensions but they're so pressed for time/space

But She Loves Me is at Studio 54, and the next show for that theater is Holiday Inn which begins previews on September 1st. So it isn't theater availability that is limiting its run.

"

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#39She Loves Me
Posted: 2/18/16 at 1:48pm

Tkristop said: "Do you think this just could be Roundabouts approach?  I just noticed Long Day's Journey...on Playbill website is listed as playing through July 17 and Roundabouts site says "on sale through" June 26.  Maybe they see how sales are going and if good enough they announce extension thru July.  Since I will be visiting in July and would like to see it I hope that sales are good!

"

Oh interesting. I never followed a show that closely before, but maybe that is exactly what they are doing.

I don't think Roundabout has to worry about She Loves Me flopping. A very high percentage of their tickets are sold to subscribers anyway, and the cast well known enough to attract enough of an audience to fill it up, I'm sure. I doubt they'll need a big Hollywood star.

I agree about the Stephen Sondheim, such a shame, they only used it for a handful of shows before they rented it out to Beautiful, and that show isn't going anywhere, looking at the grosses... At least Roundabout is making good money from it...

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#40She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 9:57am

People are expressing disappointment with the sets, but I think they look good? 

I have tickets for soon after opening night, and if I love it as much as the previous revival, I'll want to go back at least once, so it would be great if there were an extension (summer vacation coming up and all that). There's a whole society of She Loves Me groupies who might be able to keep this thing running for years if they let it!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 10:14am

It is not uncommon for companies like Roundabout to build in extension weeks in the initial scheduling that they can choose to utilize if the show's success merits it. 

Roundabout is probably cautious about extending any musical beyond a few weeks- they got burned badly with Drood, which extended far past its demand. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Liza's Headband
#42She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 10:19am

I don't think Roundabout has to worry about She Loves Me flopping. A very high percentage of their tickets are sold to subscribers anyway, and the cast well known enough to attract enough of an audience to fill it up, I'm sure. I doubt they'll need a big Hollywood star.

In the technical sense of the word, any Roundabout show (or NPF production) cannot "flop," as that is exclusive to the financial loss -- or failure to recoup -- of money through a commercial or for profit venture. Roundabout productions cannot "flop." 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#43She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 10:27am

Also a word on Roundabout extensions:

Actors in Roundabout's Broadway offerings generally make less than actors in commercial productions. Big name actors, like Keira Knightly, would pull down weekly salaries in the tens of thousands in commercial productions, but "only" make around $1300 in Roundabout shows. 

But only during the initially announced subscription run. Anything beyond that, the salaries increase, sometimes substantially. So Roundabout has to be careful about extending, since their costs increase and they stand to lose more. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

woeisme3
#44She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 12:58pm

Kad said: "It is not uncommon for companies like Roundabout to build in extension weeks in the initial scheduling that they can choose to utilize if the show's success merits it. 

Roundabout is probably cautious about extending any musical beyond a few weeks- they got burned badly with Drood, which extended far past its demand. 

"

Drood sold pretty much the same throughout its whole run, right? It wasn't a hit but it was fairly consistent.

I hope this sells really well. I would love to see it play through the summer.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#45She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 1:20pm

Drood ran 5 months, which is long for Roundabout and included a month extension that sold fairly poorly. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#46She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 2:18pm

"and referring to what is probably one of the most unabashedly romantic musicals as "Romantic-ish" worries me"

Yeah, what is up with that?

Dolly80
#47She Loves Me
Posted: 2/19/16 at 4:42pm

That set design is bad. My expectations have just dipped. And they didn't even bother to do a good poster for the show.

Videos