News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Riedel on Hamilton transfer- Page 7

Riedel on Hamilton transfer

brdway411
#150Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:22pm

I said it earlier in the thread, the Richard Rodgers is too big for this show. Think about what happened to Bloody Bloody. They need a small house. Keep demand high. This is going to be a tough sell. Going to Broadway now or even the summer is a bad move. Wait until next fall.

I saw it 2 weeks ago. I liked the show but didn't love it. I really think they should wait and rework some of the material. Maybe cut the running time. It felt long in spots.

After Eight
#151Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:44pm

Why wait until tomorrow to make this announcement? Why keep people in suspense, especially those who bought tickets for the extension? It smacks of egotism, and is thoroughly obnoxious.

If a decision has already been made, then just state it now. Like that song says in Ankles Aweigh, "Skip the Build Up."

ZannaDo
#152Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:48pm

From what I hear, it's a done deal and they'll be taking the Rodgers right after If/Then closes.

iluvtheatertrash
#153Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:49pm

As a ticket holder for the extension, I'm pretty annoyed. We better be offered top-tier seats for the price we paid.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

whatever2
#154Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:51pm

Cat: as i read the Tony website, a show has to open by April 23rd to be eligible. Under the circumstances, the preview period here will be brief, but you might just be able to swap your ticket in time to catch the show on Broadway while you're over. (Assuming they offer swaps, of course; it would be shocking if they didn't.)

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
Updated On: 2/23/15 at 08:51 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#155Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:54pm

Maybe they're NOT announcing a transfer, which is why they're waiting for tomorrow. I don't realLy understand the rush. A transfer is what everyone is expecting but if they were smart they'd wait until this incredibly crowded season is over and they can book an appropriate venue for this production.

iluvtheatertrash
#156Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:55pm

If they do announce it, I sincerely hope they do the right thing for those of us who bought for the extension. We should be offered the best seats, at the same price and first come, first serve.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#157Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:59pm

"Wait until next fall."

How is waiting until the fall- a slow time punctuated by the deadly winter- better than opening in the middle of the spring award season and before the tourist-heavy summer?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ZannaDo
#158Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:02pm

"but if they were smart they'd wait until this incredibly crowded season is over and they can book an appropriate venue for this production."

Crowded? They'll sweep the Tonys this year. There's nothing even close to on Hamilton's level except Fun Home coming in.

GreasedLightning
#159Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:10pm

They may "sweep" the Tonys but the appeal in such a crowded season may not be as large as they are hoping - and as a few have mentioned their choice of theater is far too large. There is so much to choose from this season and just because this show sold out a three month run of a 299-seat theater and is a major hit in the theater-friendly community doesn't necessarily mean it'll have the same success commercially in a 1,300 seat house.

And besides - lots of shows have the potential to surprise us and be on similar "level" this season. No one knows for sure until they start opening... and if Fun Home IS, in fact, their biggest competition it'll only put two Public shows against each other. Fun Home waited, Hamilton should too. Updated On: 2/23/15 at 09:10 PM

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#160Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:11pm

Cute how people are making demands for "the best seats" given purchase price. It's a different production and the Public does not "owe" anything beyond a refund from point-of-sale.

Price of the ticket at the Public is still below a standard Broadway Orchestra price. That said, I think Public seats will be swapped for mid Orch or Front Mezz. There will be plenty of Premiums folks.

ZannaDo
#161Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:32pm

"Fun Home waited, Hamilton should too."

Should? Why? The producers are capitalizing on their considerable buzz, Broadway is a business and they want to strike while the iron is hot. They don't owe Fun Home or anybody else anything.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#162Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:35pm

"Fun Home waited, Hamilton should too."

Agree with Zanna....and Fun Home had nowhere near the hype Hamilton is generating.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#163Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:43pm

The fact that Fun Home and Hamilton both originated at the Public should be totally irrelevant to their success- and it is. No one is going to care if two Public transfers were playing a few blocks away.

Just like no one cares when there several ART transfers playing at the same time.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GreasedLightning
#164Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:43pm

Okay, fine - but another thing: I find it sad that the creatives want more time to perfect this show and now it is being rushed to Broadway where they won't have time to do that. I get it - it's a business - why not strike while the iron is hot... but this seems like a prime example of another rushed transfer to bank on its positive buzz and may not receive the payoff it expects. It's sad that the creatives are being rushed when they feel more time and more work could do the show better. I hope I'm proven wrong, though.

ZannaDo
#165Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:46pm

You seem to be speaking to the creators' desires very personally, do you know them or are you basing your assessment on a column in the Post? The decision to transfer wasn't made lightly, the show is already in better shape than 90% of what's opened on Broadway in the past few seasons.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#166Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:53pm

It's not like the buzz is idle industry chatter... it's reviews that most shows would kill for and being the hottest theatre ticket of the season, hands down.

GreasedLightning
#167Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:54pm

Either way - it's just my own thoughts and opinions. I have no intent to argue; but I respect your opposing thoughts and opinions and am glad we have somewhere to share them.

As I said - I wish only success for this production and sincerely hope I am proven wrong about its future no matter what that is. Updated On: 2/23/15 at 09:54 PM

ZannaDo
#168Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:13pm

Can you cite your claim that the creators feel rushed and want more time from anywhere beyond the trashy gossip of Riedel's article? Thanks. Because as it stands, you're not really stating an opinion so much as claiming to know the feelings of the creative team. Updated On: 2/23/15 at 10:13 PM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#169Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:21pm

Don't know if the creators feel rushed - but we know (via Twitter) that LMM was taking notes on Sunday evening. So, change is still afoot.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#170Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:32pm

I agree that on the surface, this could be a tough sell. However, the current demand for tickets is saying otherwise. Just for the sake of looking, I checked stubhub to see what people are asking for seats to the show. Highest is close to $2000 and yes, that's more money for a ticket then many of us could ever dream of, but people are buying tickets for this show at this price.

Didn't something like 9000 people enter the online lottery for this show for it's first preview? That's a lot interest...and people that would buy a ticket for the show if it was possible.

LMM has stated that the show isn't 100% the way he wants it yet, but that it's close. I don't think he needs a year to make cuts and set it in stone. If the show opened tomorrow at any Broadway theater, I suspect it would get the same reviews, if not better. I don't think the show will run for a decade, but people gave said this could be the next Rent in terms of appeal and popularity. I don't think that comment is a ridiculous one...the show has a lot going for it (and please note I'm not comparing the shows, just the hype. I think Hamilton is far better then Rent). I think this is an important show for reasons that people have been saying for quite some time now. If anything, it's telling a story in history that's important but not thoroughly discussed. Hamilton's legacy effects us today and if people realize it through a musical, I'm all for that.

And hasn't it been established that the Public doesn't major producing credit on Hamilton or Fun Home? If we find out tomorrow that Hamilton is transferring, it would just mean two shows that originated at the Public would would be in contention. It's not competing against itself. It's more that fans and supporters of both want them to have an equal shot and/or share of the wealth.

Updated On: 2/23/15 at 10:32 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#171Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 10:52pm

So the Public doesn't have money in either transfer? So wouldn't the Public be pissed that they aren't staying downtown and getting all that money from the transfer? Updated On: 2/23/15 at 10:52 PM

brdway411
notapoet47
#173Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 11:43pm

Maybe tomorrow they're just announcing Brian D'Arcy James' replacement? This article says that a "replacement is to be announced shortly." http://www.playbill.com/news/article/photo-call-lin-manuel-mirandas-hamilton-opens-at-the-public-celebrity-arrivals-curtain-call-and-cast-party-342051/print

The rumors about it being a fairly big name would= press conference.

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 11:43 PM

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#174Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/23/15 at 11:46pm

I hope the aforementioned Norbert Leo Butz rumor turns out to be true. That'd be amazing.

Videos