News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Riedel on Hamilton transfer- Page 10

Riedel on Hamilton transfer

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#225Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 3:39pm

Kad - because Phillypinto is in the biz and personally knows each and every member of the nominating committee.

I, for one, have no idea what shows will be nominated, in part, because except for Honeymoon in Vegas and Hollar If You Hear Me - none of them have opened on Broadway. (At least, I think those are the only two "new" musicals to have opened this season so far)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#226Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 3:39pm

^O, Gotta Dance? Haven't heard or read anything about that as future BWAY.
I have seen the presentation of 5#'s of Something Rotten! and yes based on that feel it will get a best musical nomination as it's fresh, original and very funny Pinto! I feel Finding Neverland just may be bumped from the best musical nomination.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#227Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 3:40pm

because theres not much there. Its a simple dancy love story, and thats really it. Nothing is original about this show which is why it doesn't stand a chance against all the other new musicals

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#228Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 3:44pm

^ Have you seen it? The last wholly original musical to win the Tony was MORMON. And a lot is original about AAIP.

But regardless, from JERSEY BOYS to SPAMALOT to BILLY ELLIOT to KINKY BOOTS to ONCE, the Tonys have proved time and time again that being based on previous material is relatively immaterial.

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 03:44 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#229Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 3:44pm

1. The theatre is set and will not change.
2. There is no known show in next season that can get anywhere close to Hamilton for awards.
3. Every decision made has been the right one, and as I said yesterday, the only reason for the press conference today was to shoot down Riedel's rumors, and that was needed right away.

Phillypinto
#230Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:13pm

"Have you seen it? The last wholly original musical to win the Tony was MORMON. And a lot is original about AAIP".

like???

There is no way in hell An American in Paris is going to be nominated against The Visit, Something Rotten, or It Shoulda Been You. They are completely original, and will actually be good too. Fun Home, Honeymoon in Vegas, Doctor Zhivago, and Finding Neverland are not completely original, but they at least have original scores! An American in Paris has no original score with a few changes to the book. Won't be nominated for Best New Musical

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#231Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:13pm

A very wise decision to not rush it.

Phillypinto
#232Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:15pm

When is Sondheim's show coming in?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#233Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:15pm

"They are completely original, and will actually be good too"

1) The Visit is adapted from a play.
2) You haven't seen them. The reviews of The Visit at WTF were mixed with praise heaped on Chita, the reviews of It Shoulda Been You years ago were terrible, and Something Rotten is opening totally blind.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phillypinto
#234Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:29pm

lol you're gonna see I'm right in a few months Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#235Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:40pm

What do I get when you're not?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#236Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:44pm

Yeah, Kad. You don't know anything. If a show isn't totally original, it will never be nominated for best musical - especially if it doesn't have an original score - and really especially if it's putting the musical on stage - Like Beautiful, Aladdin and After Midnight last year - and Once and Newsies - and American Idiot, Fela! and Million Dollar Quartet - and Rock of Ages - and Xanadu and Cry-Baby - and Mary Poppins....

Phillypinto
#237Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:51pm

LOL Beautiful and After Midnight were existing musicals before they came to Broadway?

I never said they can't be nominated, they just can't be nominated if they are in such a crowded season full of great stuff. All of those shows you mentioned didn't have nearly the same amount of competition as An american in paris does. It is really crazy to me though how this is deemed a new work when cinderella was a revival 2 seasons ago

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 04:51 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#238Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:52pm

Excited as f*ck for this to be transferring so fast! So many tourists will be able to experience this brilliant show this summer.

A MAH ZING

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 04:52 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#239Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:56pm

"It is really crazy to me though how this is deemed a new work when cinderella was a revival 2 seasons ago"

Because that show was actually a stage property several times before the most recent production and American in Paris wasn't.

getatme
#240Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:57pm

FWIW, I saw American in Paris in a rehearsal studio with minimal set and no costumes and was very moved by the entire thing. It is not "a simple dancy love story," and I think it's insulting to the people putting so much work and effort into crafting that show to dismiss it as such. It perfectly melds the ballet dance world and the musical theater world, there are beautiful ballets the blend wonderfully into the classic Gershwin music. Add onto that a cast of incredibly gifted actors, singers, and dancers and with the sets, costumes, and lighting it should be a stunning night at the theatre.

That's just my two cents.

MDM2015
#241Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 4:57pm

Smart. It can have 12 months of Tony speculation. Summer tourists. Lots of exposure over the Holidays.

Phillypinto
#242Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 5:00pm

yeah i know that kad, but the work is exactly the same; interpolating existing songs into an existing story. It just seems unfair to me

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 05:00 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#243Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 5:10pm

Exactly the same except for the part where R&H's Cinderella was an existing stage property whereas An American in Paris wasn't.

decast
#244Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 5:19pm

Listen carefully and you can hear Weinstein breathing a sigh of relief

Phillypinto
#245Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 5:21pm

Its not really fair

Kimbo
#246Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 5:25pm

Fair or not, that's the way it works. If The Band Wagon had worked at Encores and transferred to Broadway, we would've had 3 shows this season based on MGM movie musicals of the '50s. The difference is, Gigi has been on Broadway before, so that'll be eligible for Best Revival categories (even if it is with revisions), but American in Paris whereas my hypothetical (and non-existent) Band Wagon transfer would have been up for the new show awards.
This is all conjecture at this point - whoever pointed out that most of these shows have yet to open is right on the money.
Something's Rotten is the biggest unknown quantity, since it has yet to be performed anywhere - but if Kevin McCollum had the confidence to cancel the Seattle tryout and bring it right in, they'll really have egg on their faces if it's not good enough for them to at least be nominated for a ton of awards.
Fun Home is a shoo-in for a nomination.
I also don't see The Visit being the first Kander and Ebb show (not to mention their final show) not to be nominated for Best Musical in 30 years.
Honeymoon in Vegas will have a tough road making it to the nominations, but if it does I think the reviews and the sense of the show as an underdog might well land it in the top slots.
And then you have American in Paris which got great reviews in Europe.
That's a pretty tight field, even without Doctor Zhivago which got good reviews in Australia.
My strong sense is that It Coulda Been You and Finding Neverland, the 2 shows to be reviewed the least favorably elsewhere, will be the first 2 shows left out in the cold. Because who the hell knows, if any of the ones I list above REALLY tank, close in previews, whatever, they could always still go back and nominate The Last Ship. But it won't come to that.
It'll be a tight race this season, with Fun Home the presumed frontrunner until Rotten, The Visit, American in Paris or Zhivago somehow come from behind like Birdman and become a real force.
Next season, barring something coming along to turn it into one of the most competitive seasons in memory, Hamilton will be unstoppable.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#247Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 5:32pm

LMM tweeted that they'll be recording a cast album this summer! Obviously everyone was expecting a cast recording, but it's great to hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 05:32 PM

ZannaDo
#248Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 6:09pm

Isn't the Sara Bareilles show, Waitress, coming in next season as well? That's the only high-profile show I can think of that may be able to compete with Hamilton.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#249Riedel on Hamilton transfer
Posted: 2/24/15 at 6:09pm

because theres not much there. Its a simple dancy love story, and thats really it. Nothing is original about this show which is why it doesn't stand a chance against all the other new musicals

Phillypinto, are you familiar with Contact, a show comprised entirely of dance which won the Tony Award for Best Musical? I have no opinion on whether American in Paris will be nominated yet because I haven't seen it, but marginalizing its chances because it's "a simple dancy love story" isn't a compelling argument when Contact was so successful at the Tony Awards.

Videos