News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Piazza Questions

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#25re: Piazza Questions
Posted: 6/26/06 at 5:52pm

I always thought it was funny that Margaret thinks Signor Naccarelli has guessed Clara's situation from looking at her handwriting, but I know she's under a lot of stress at that point.

yr ronin,
joey

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#26re: Piazza Questions
Posted: 6/26/06 at 6:02pm

Here's another question: Why are Franca & Guiseppe childless? There are many references to it in the show. I had assumed that it was simply because they are not doin' the nasty because of Franca's suspicions/accusations, etc, but then I read somewhere that perhaps Franca could not have children. Thoughts? And if it is the latter, where is this theory supported in the show?

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#27re: Piazza Questions
Posted: 6/26/06 at 6:08pm

I always assumed they were childless because they didn't WANT kids. They're still young, so they're focused more so on each other and the passionate love between each other, than the idea of family. One of the cast members talked about it when they were ranting about the "different kinds of love" displayed at different periods of the show. He/She said that Franca and Giuseppe represent the Summer or Spring of Love where everything is blooming and passionate, wild and mad. I don't think they're ready for children yet. They need to fix their marriage first and find other ways to communicate their problems instead of subtle fliration with others and mini tirades.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#28re: Piazza Questions
Posted: 6/26/06 at 6:47pm

The only time I've ever heard Margaret refer to Clara as being 12 years old is on the cast recording. In the original book by Elizabeth Spencer,(and subsequently in the 1962 MGM film), Clara is of a 10 year old mentality.

As far as the whole "who's marrying/divorcing/sleeping/flying in an alien spaceship with who" conversation...I think it's up to you. There are questions that are left unanswered for a reason. The MGM film is told a bit differently, same premise, and (still) with a slightly ambiguous ending. I agree that is what makes this story so beautiful...it encourages you to be a part of the story in several ways. Some would claim "plot holes!" here. I just say it's masterful story telling.

Brava, Ms. Spencer!

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#29re: Piazza Questions
Posted: 6/26/06 at 10:47pm

Here's another question: Why are Franca & Guiseppe childless? There are many references to it in the show. I had assumed that it was simply because they are not doin' the nasty because of Franca's suspicions/accusations.

I think that's it, actually. Franca says something along those lines in The Joy You Feel: "Enjoy it, you are free, you have time to spare. The bassinette is empty, the nursery is bare." Their sex life may not be what is used to be because Giuseppe's busy with other activities (heh), or they might just be having sex at the wrong time.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth
Updated On: 6/26/06 at 10:47 PM

Videos