News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"On the Town" Preview Thread- Page 17

"On the Town" Preview Thread

Baileyboo
#400ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 12:02pm

Dottie-
They are the best box office on Broadway. They will help you.
If not, I will.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#401ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 1:06pm

Great behind-the scenes video with Megan Fairchild.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=804362349584688&fref=nf

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#402ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 1:33pm

Megan is adorable.

Seeing that video makes me pine to see this show again. I envy every person who gets to experience it for the first time.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#403ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 6:58pm

I'm a big fan of the Guggenheim Works and Process series of lectures/performances (mainly in the past for their ballet ones,) which they stream. Apparently they are doing one for On the Town, complete with American Dance Machine (did they re-form? I thought they were long gone,) doing their best to recreate Robbins' original New York, New York choreography. Here's the info from their facebook page:

Works and Process at the Guggenheim
3 hours ago
We are giving away two tickets to our upcoming SOLD OUT program Jerome Robbins: Fancy Free to On the Town on Nov 9 and 10. Enter now: http://gu.gg/CKYkZ

In 1944, Leonard Bernstein and Jerome Robbins created the ballet Fancy Free and with Betty Comden and Adolph Green transformed it into the musical On The Town. See excerpts from Fancy Free; a performance by American Dance Machine for the 21st Century of “New York, New York” from the original On The Town staged by Robert LaFosse; and excerpts of the fall 2014 revival of On The Town by Tony Award–winning director John Rando and Emmy Award–winning choreographer Joshua Bergasse. Robbins biographer Amanda Vaill moderates the discussion with LaFosse, Bergasse, Rando, actress Phyllis Newman, and writer/narrator Jamie Bernstein, daughter of Leonard Bernstein.

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#404ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 7:17pm

Thank you for the video! Megan is completely charming. I can't wait to see the show again.

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#405ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 7:59pm

People on the other board have posted today that Yazbeck was out last night. Has anyone heard anything about this? I certainly hope he is OK but it worries me especially because the opening is so close and I assume the critics are attending this week.

Regardless, my best to the multi-talented Tony Yazbeck, one of my favorite performers.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#406ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 8:28pm

I believe he was back in tonight.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#407ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 9:03pm

Honestly, I can't imagine how he can do 8 performances a week. It's superhuman. It's one of the most arduous roles I've ever witnessed.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#409ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 10:29pm

Oooh, I love those! I probably waste waaay too much time watching them.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#410ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:53am

Finally seeing this at today's matinee. Yes, I'm one of the people who saw and loved it at Barrington Stage, and am hoping that the same magic will happen at the Lyric. A close friend went on Monday, so missed seeing Tony, loved certain things (orchestra, dancing, Hilde) but thought the cast was pushing very hard and played very broadly, and even his 80-year-old mother felt that way. He also felt the sexuality went too far (sailors on leave wanting to get laid? who would imagine?), but I felt, for the first time since I've been watching the show since 1959 (!) that it was an honest depiction of what it was like in 1944. I want this to be a big hit, so I am going in very hopeful.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#411ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 11:06am

I'm mean it's only 17 pages. It's not THAT long...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#412ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 12:12pm

HAPPY OPENING NIGHT!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#413ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 1:06pm

ON THE TOWN previews

It opens tomorrow not tonight.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#414ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 4:24pm

If anyone takes the time to read all 17 pages, they might find it to be a very insightful, informative, or a least entertaining thread!

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#415ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 4:29pm

Did anyone here see Michael go on for Gabey? I'd love to know how he was!

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#416ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:50pm

MANY dates on TDF for Friday, Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday....

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#417ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/15/14 at 11:08pm

Just left tonight's show and am waiting for the train, so this will be extra brief, but what a crazy thrilling production. That cast! It's glorious top to bottom. The Coney Island ballet is stunning. Yazbeck is perfect. Elizabeth Stanley is delightful.

I've been pessimistic about this's how's chances in such a
Huge theater and with no big names, but I so badly hope it's a huge success. It deserves to be.

nanillo17
#418ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 12:32am

I just saw the show tonight as well and absolutely loved it. Like others have said, the cast is great all around. They balance each other out so well, all of them stand out for different things. Obviously Megan's singing wasn't up to par with the rest but boy she made up for it with the dancing - that coney island ballet scene kept getting better and better as it went, just beautiful.

It's hard to pick a favorite in the cast but for me Tony and Alysha were the standouts. Tony's singing/dancing and acting were great, I was so engrossed in his performance during "Lonely Town" that I was mad it wasn't a movie so I could rewind him then and there. Alysha is just so damn charismatic and her attitude with Hildy just won me over, "I Can Cook Too" was probably the most fun number of the bunch for me.

Like others have said, I really hope this picks up and does well once it opens. It's a great production and hopefully people come out and see it. There's always plenty of options for me to see when I'm in town but I wouldn't be surprised if I made a return visit to the Lyric to catch this again sometime.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#419ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 1:28am

You can now peruse the playbill on the playbill vault website.

http://www.playbillvault.com/Show/Detail/14058/On-the-Town

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#420ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 8:04am

To all associated with OTT and its admirers,merde and break a leg for tonight! My fervent wish that this show has a huge,long, joyous and profitable run as I want to return and see it again!

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#421ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 10:11am

Happy Opening Night! Looking forward to seeing this in a couple of weeks!

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#422ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 1:45pm

New B-roll package. No new audio - just the boys singing "New York, New York". Blue certainly appears to be a predominant color in this show. I quite like the look of it - at least on video.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#423ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 2:17pm

Great shots of Elizabeth Stanley and Jackie Hoffman in the new B-roll.

I will miss this thread, but onto Limelight Mike's!

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#424ON THE TOWN previews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 2:30pm

PJ - when are you seeing the show? Been eagerly awaiting your review.

Videos