News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Most famous pas de deux

classicalmusicplayer2
#1Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/15/15 at 10:29pm

Help me settle a debate! What is the most famous/popular/recongized dance male/femalpas de deux IN MT? It can be a dance break during a song and it can be from a movie version of a musical and any genre. 

Thanks!

jo
#2Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/15/15 at 11:18pm

Not sure, but briefly in the Dream Ballet from Oklahoma!, is this a pas de deux between Laurey and Curly ( starts @ 3'53" )  ?

Updated On: 9/16/15 at 11:18 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#3Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/15/15 at 11:35pm

I would say CAROUSEL's famous second act one.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#4Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/17/15 at 2:53am

Ya the Oklahoma pas de deux section I would say is relatively well known among fans especially in its DeMille staging--and I'd agree that the one between Louise and the Carnival Boy is even better in Carousel (the film of which also uses DeMille's choreography though uncredited--I believe she sued--but you can find video of Kenneth MacMillan's ecellent piece for the Hytner revival which was one of the last things he did before he died.)

Otherwise the only other one that really comes to mind is the gorgeous pas de deux section of Balanchine's Slaughter on Tenth Ave ballet in On Your Toes.  Or maybe the dream pas de deux in On the Town, though the original choreography has been lost.

jo
#5Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/17/15 at 6:01am

Presumably the choreography for the film adaptation of OKLAHOMA! was from Agnes de Mille -- starts @ 1'12".

jo
#6Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/17/15 at 6:27am

And from the film version of CAROUSEL, Louise Ballet, starts @ around 4'21".

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#7Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/17/15 at 12:59pm

It was.  R&H (Rodgers specifically) found Agnes insufferable on the set of Oklahoma! which is why she wasn't invited back for Carousel.  Which is too bad as much of the film choreography was awful--however, it has since been acknowledged that the best dance bit, the long Louise ballet, was basically a copy of DeMille's without originally giving her credit.

Here's the Pas De Deux from MacMillan's version of the Carousel ballet

wonkit
#8Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/17/15 at 7:58pm

This is just exquisite! Who are the dancers please?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#9Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/17/15 at 8:54pm

Dana Stackpole is the female.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#10Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/18/15 at 4:16pm

First thing that came to mind - probably known more than any of the other examples by "non-theatre" people, just because of how famous West Side Story is. 

the official pas de deux starts at 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2uaRmlQNg

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 9/18/15 at 04:16 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/18/15 at 4:29pm

No, it's this one:

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#12Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/19/15 at 8:04pm

I hope Chris Wheeldon's choreography of American in Paris becomes famous many years from now.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#13Most famous pas de deux
Posted: 9/20/15 at 12:06am

As usual, joey is exactly right. There really is no question.

Videos