News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:20am

I went into the city yesterday to do SRO for Jersey Boys. I got there a little after 9 am and there were about 5 people in front of me. The lady managing the box office line was extremely nice and explained to us our ticket options. Apparently the box office gets leftover ticket returns from brokers, hotels, etc, so when the box office opened, I decided to see what they had available in terms of full-priced tickets because I didn't feel like standing for 2.5 hours. I snagged a ticket in the sixth row center, and it was worth the price.

The show is now one of my favorites. In the show, each member of the Four Seasons is responsible for narrating one season. Tommy DeVito is "Spring," Bob Gaudio is "Summer," Nick Massi is "Fall," and Frankie Valli is "Winter." The cast was stellar. Michael Longoria is talented as Frankie Valli. His voice got progressively better throughout the show. "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" was definitely a highlight within the show, and it received roaring applause. One lady even stood up at the end. I thought his movements and facial expressions were hilarious during "I Go Ape." I wish I could see John Lloyd Young's take on the role, but I am glad I got to catch Michael Longoria.

Christian Hoff deserved his Tony. His acting was strong, especially with his narration during the "Spring" segment of the show. Glad to see that J. Robert Spencer is also still with Jersey Boys. I think I liked him a bit less than Christian and Michael; however he was still great, and I enjoyed his deep voice. Sebastian Arcelus as Bob Gaudio is a great casting choice. These four men worked well together to keep the audience cheering, and it was probably one of the happiest audiences I have ever seen. An older guy behind me kept yelling out these loud "yay" cheers at the end of songs, but I couldn't help smiling because you could tell he was really happy to the point where he had tears in his eyes from yelling.

There are so many songs to comment on, so I just have to say they were all fun to listen to. I loved the effect where the group would sing into the camera, and it made a picture reappear in black and white on a screen with vintage videos of Four Seasons concert-goers.

I can't really find one serious flaw about this show. I guess my only thing was Michael Longoria talking about his 22 year old daughter when he looked in his 20s himself. But, that's the whole point of the show, to tell the Jersey Boys' story, so I didn't have a huge problem with it...just thought it was kind of funny. Anyways, if you are deciding whether or not to see it, go see it - just save up some money! You can probably go to the box office the day of and get some nice orchestra or mezzanine seats, but you should be there before the box office opens (there was a bit of a line about 5 minutes before it opened).

I loved this show so much that I had to stage door. I met Travis Cloer (Joe Pesce), J. Robert Spencer, Michael Longoria (who is really short!), and Christian Hoff. They were all very gracious towards everyone's positive comments. Christian asked me if I was coming back, and I said that I hoped so. Which I really do - it was a lot of fun. After that, I left, and couldn't help but have a smile on my face. Great experience!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 7/5/08 at 11:20 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:38am

Apparently the box office gets leftover ticket returns from brokers, hotels, etc

This goes on for EVERY concert, Broadway show, sporting event, etc.

This is where cancellation tickets comes from, along with the theatre's own 'house seats'. re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08

millie_dillmount
#2re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 11:42am

They weren't cancellations because when I asked about them the guy kind of gave me a weird look and said I was the first person. From what it sounded like, they only use the term "cancellation" to refer to individuals returning tickets...?

Anyways, thanks Brody! I am actually aware of that, just wasn't sure if Jersey Boys was a different case because of its popularity! re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

millie_dillmount
#3re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 12:38pm

Also, I'm curious - how old is Michael Longoria?

Melicus Profile Photo
Melicus
#4re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 12:47pm

Thanks for sharing your experience! The show has become one of my favorites too. I saw the 1st Nat'l Tour three times. Each time the show was over, I felt like a kid getting off a roller coaster ride wanting to run and get in line to do it all over again. re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 1:13pm

I did JB cancellation in NY and was told the tickets came from all sorts of places.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

millie_dillmount
#6re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 1:14pm

Yeah, well I thought you could consider my tickets cancellation, so I am not sure what the guy was talking about. When I mentioned to him that I was told I could get cancellations, he asked, "Who told you that?" Whatever the case, they were excellent seats! re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08

Updated On: 7/5/08 at 01:14 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 1:16pm

BTW, the character's name is Tommy, not Tony. re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

millie_dillmount
#8re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 1:18pm

Oops, sorry for the type-o. Will change!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#9re: Millie Sees Jersey Boys 7/4/08
Posted: 7/5/08 at 2:18pm

Glad you had a fun time!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Videos