News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Megan Hilty

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#25re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/16/05 at 7:33pm

Megan is an EXCELLENT Galinda! She does the part her own way, which is rare when someone takes over for an established star, or in her case, for an established star's brilliant replacement. As to her comedic ablities, they are sensational. She may get laughs in different places than Kristin or Jennifer did, but she milks Popular for all it's worth, and gets laughs in entirely new places. She's gone from college to starring on Broadway for a reason. The New York Times reviewer doesn't like the show itself, therefore already goes to see it with a kind of axe to grind. I would much rather trust the opinions of the majority of posters at this site, who've given Megan repeated thumbs up in the role.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/16/05 at 9:17pm

"She may get laughs in different places than Kristin or Jennifer did"

She barely got any laughs the night I saw her.

"The New York Times reviewer doesn't like the show itself, therefore already goes to see it with a kind of axe to grind."

I like Wicked a lot, and I still didn't care for Megan Hilty's Glinda.

As others have noted, the current duo is probably the weakest pairing yet in any Wicked production.

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#27re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:00am

Adamgreer, I could not disagree more with yours and other's statements that this is the weakest Wicked duo yet- I saw the show twice during this past week and think that the it is in some of the best shape yet...For a while, it seemed as if Wicked was losing its sparkle, passion and excitement. However, I believe that the current cast (with a few exceptions) and still dazzling techincal aspects are keeping the show in fine form.
Shoshana Bean, in my most honest opinion, is a magnificent talent. I was worried and apprehensive before seeing her in the role, but she completely took me by surprise. Her aggressive take on Elphaba was refreshing to watch and her choices in her acting were dead on. She perfectly conveyed an awakward, passionate, and unique young girl who has ambitions to make a mark on the world. In each and every scene, I saw the fire in her eyes and the drive within her heart. And MAN- Can this girl sing- a voice that evokes chills and soars to the last row of the mezzanine- Her vocal riffs are thrilling and her pipes have power that I have not heard for quite a while. Her "Defying Gravity" brings down the house and blows the roof off of the Gershwin and had me melting in my seat. It seemed that she was tortured by her anguish to go against society and desperately needed to release her feelings in a spine tingling instant that made a commanding Act I finale. Her "No Good Deed" was beyond words and to me, was the strongest of every Elphaba I've seen. She is sensastional as Elphaba, a role that is in excellent and deserving hands.
Megan Hilty is a fantastic Glinda. Her comic timing is impecable which caused uproarious laughter from the enthusiastic audience both times seeing her in the role. She begins as a spoiled young blonde teen who means well, but is not aware of her stupidity or cruelty. Through her friendship with Elphaba, she matures into a changed character who still possesses a giddy and perky side, but now shows signs of a compassionate and loving woman. She steals the show with "Popular" and left me with a stomach ache from laughing so hard. Her chemisty with Shoshana is incomprable as they constantly play off past moments in the show (Ex. Hair toss in Popular). Her "Thank Goodness/Couldn't Be Happier" is moving and helped along by a beautiful soprano and a fantastic belt. I was amazed at how connected she was towards the end of the show in moments such as "For Good". She seemed to be emotionally crushed that she was forced to say good bye to her most cherished friend. Bottom line, she is a talent that is not to be missed.
It was a pleasure to see these two ladies perform and I hope that they continue to wow audiences and captivate them as they did with me.

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"
Updated On: 7/17/05 at 01:00 AM

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#28re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:02am

Sorry, double post!

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"
Updated On: 7/17/05 at 01:02 AM

Glindafan
#29re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:02am

Adamgreer makes a valid point about the laughs not happening on some nights, but there is a good reason you may not have considered.... The sound for Wicked has gotten really spotty. Some nights you can hear the actors well, but other - you can barely hear them. It's no wonder the audience seems mute - its hard to react when you can't hear the lines. It's hard for me to believe that with the technology in use today, they can't tell when to crank up the volume. Most theater goers never have to deal with this issue - we're bombarded with soundtracks from movies and by comparison, the lines in Wicked are played at a volume too low for most to hear.

Wisdom often comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone

dancingthroughlife008 Profile Photo
dancingthroughlife008
#30re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:20am

i love rustyjusty. well said.

"Because what is more like love than the ocean? You can play in it, drown in it. It can be clear and bright enough to hurt your eyes, or covered in fog; hidden behind a curve of road, and then suddenly there in full glory. Its waves come like breaths, in and out, in and out, body stretched to forever in its possibilities, and yet its heart lies deep, not fully knowable, inconceivably majestic."

Swiftynifty15
#31re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:10pm

Megan is amazing as Glinda!

KristinChenowethFan
#32re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/31/05 at 8:58pm

I saw Megan as Glinda the end of June. She was awesome. Very bubbly glinda! Kristin Chenoweth is the best glinda ever so I was going in thinking I was going to be disappointed...but I was wrong! She was awesome! I also got to talk to her after the show...and my goodness she was so funny! Shoshanna was divaish...she didn't talk to anyone and it seemed like she was in a rush to get somewhere...(it was a matinee)...Shoshanna was good too but Megan was by far more friendly at the stage door.

marvin2 Profile Photo
marvin2
#33re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/31/05 at 10:16pm

Megan Hilty is excellent! On a different note, the day I went someone was LISTENING TO MUSIC really loudly. Why would you spend a ton of money for tickets and spend the entire show listening to other music?
Anyway, I have to agree with those people who say that Megan Hilty can be funny when required, but is also very moving in the serious parts.

Avatar (C) Gregory Jbara, used with permission. Visit his web site at www.gregoryjbara.com! Click here!
Updated On: 7/31/05 at 10:16 PM

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#34re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/31/05 at 10:25pm

Not only is Megan a FABULOUS Glinda, she is one of the sweetest people in the world.

Whatever happened to class?

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#35re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 7/31/05 at 11:05pm

Megan IS really hot, thats why I like her...

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#36re: Megan Hilty
Posted: 8/1/05 at 1:24am

i adore megan as glinda. i've seen her in the role twice, once on may 31st (to see the new cast's first performance) and on july 8th and both were amazing performances. i love the fact that she brought back the optional note at the end of no one mourns the wicked. that was quite a wonderful surprise for me. her popular had me laughing to the point where my sides hurt(and keep in mind i've seen the show 10 times so i know all the jokes back and forth)
so yes, megan is an amazing glinda no matter what the times says.

Videos