News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010

MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#1MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:56am

"Million Dollar Quartet, the Chicago hit that played a commercial run at the Goodman Theatre before a transfer to the Apollo, will arrive on Broadway in spring 2010 at a theatre to be announced."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/132422-Million_Dollar_Quartet_to_Arrive_on_Broadway_in_Spring_2010

These performances were my bathroom break at the Tonys... heh

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#2re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:57am

Sounds cool, but I love that era of music.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:01pm

WAT and I were just talking about this the other day and saying how bad it was at the Tonys. I'm shocked this is coming in.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#3re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:09pm

I just saw this in July and was extremely unimpressed. The acting was terrible and the story was boring. Maybe if the majority of the book was rewritten it would be an okay show, but for now it's trying to be Jersey Boys but failing.

NDR
#4re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:10pm

Sounds like another Jersey Boys on the heels of the new Memphis.
I don't have high hopes.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#5re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:17pm

It's basically about the night that the four singers all had a jam session and the only conflict was that the producer wanted to renew Johnny Cash's contract but Johnny didn't want that. So that blows over quickly. And then there's just some random chick hanging out in the studio. The only saving grace of the show was the guy playing Jerry Lee Lewis who actually had energy and understood his character. The music is fun but it's like they've created a rock show with the more unknown songs of these artists and then tried to weave this story in.

beautywickedlover
#6re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:35pm

What theatre do you think they are aiming for? Are they looking for an intamite one like the Longacre (which has "Burn the Floor" till Febraury) or maybe the Lyceum, John Golden, or Broadhurst.

Updated On: 9/1/09 at 12:35 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 2:10pm

Because the Elvis and Cash musicals worked so well on Broadway. Yawn. I skipped this when it was in Seattle.

RentBoy86
#8re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 6:10pm

Sounds incredibly boring.

RyToast1
#9re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:32pm

I really was not impressed when they played at the TONYS. It was one of the only moments I was jealous of the at home audience.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#10re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:41pm

The Golden Theater has Oleanna booked for now, unless it bombs and closes, I highly doubt Million Dollar Quartet would go there.

Mattbrain
#11re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:46pm

They performed at the Tonys? When? Was this during commercial breaks?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#12re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:52pm

Yes, during the commercial breaks...and it was horrendous. I can't believe this is coming to Broadway!

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#13re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:08pm

I can't wait to buy my tickets and then, much later, feel just as good as I do now about having seen Glory Days twice.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#14re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:14pm

" It was one of the only moments I was jealous of the at home audience."

Right up there with Dancing Queen (reprise)

Lily2
#15re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:35pm

I saw it in Chicago. It's terrible...it actually has no distinguishing characteristics. It is a bland attempt to leech off of the Jersey Boys audience.

RyToast1
#16re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:42pm

"Right up there with Dancing Queen (reprise)"

Oh my goodness, yes!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#17re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:59pm

"I can't wait to buy my tickets and then, much later, feel just as good as I do now about having seen Glory Days twice."

I feel lucky to have seen GLORY DAYS just once. Did you see it again because you liked it? Or because you knew it wouldn't last?

beautywickedlover
#18re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/2/09 at 12:43am

"The Golden Theater has Oleanna booked for now, unless it bombs and closes, I highly doubt Million Dollar Quartet would go there."

I thought "Oleanna" was only going to be a limited engagement. My guesses are still the Longarce, Lyceum, or the Broadhurst.

beautywickedlover
#19re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/2/09 at 12:56am

Since "Bye Bye Birdie" is a limited engagement, maybe "Million" will end up at the Henry Mills Thatre.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#20re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/2/09 at 12:57am

Is Bye Bye Birdie officially limited? I didn't think they had announced a closing. Plus, in order for it to play Henry Miller's, Roundabout would have to produce it, and I don't see that happening.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#21re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/2/09 at 1:04am

Oleanna is open-ended and Bye Bye Birdie is a limited engagement, to January 3rd I believe. If Bye Bye Birdie is a hit, it will probably extend.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#22re: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET to Broadway in Spring 2010
Posted: 9/2/09 at 2:23am

Henry Miller's Theatre is being leased by Roundabout for shows which they hope will play an extended engagement, instead of the situation with Studio 54 and American Airlines where another show has to come in to satisfy their subscription audiences. However, if one of their shows at Henry Miller's only plays through its limited engagement and they have nothing else lined up to replace it, the theatre will be made available for limited engagements of commercial productions. If Birdie doesn't run past January 3, you may see a limited run of a commercial play not affiliated with Roundabout at Henry Miller's this spring. (There's a LOT of stuff on the way for the spring, not all of which has been announced yet). I wouldn't expect any commercial musicals to book Henry Miller's, knowing they can't stay there indefinitely, but a 12, 16 or 20 week limited engagement of a play very well could.

As far as other available theatres for the spring, isn't the Belasco expected to be back in play by that time, following renovation?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Videos