News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week

Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week

broadwayjim42
#1Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 11:53am

Was just checking the Billboard site and the news story reflecting new chart arrivals says the "The Little Mermaid" cast album sold 20,000 copies, landing it at #26 on the Top 200 Albums chart.

Is this some sort of recent record? I know "Legally Blonde" and "Spring Awakening" and "Spamalot" broke into the Top 100 and fell pretty fast, but I can't remember anything of recent vintage debuting this high or selling this much first week ouT.

Just checked Billboard Chart Alert and it answered everything. Highest debut since "Rent" (#19 in 1996) and highest first week sales since "Rent" (43,000). The 20,000 is padded with pre-orders, which didn't count as sales until the CD was actually shipped.
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 11:53 AM

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#2re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 1:03pm

Wow. That is pretty impressive, considering that the show is not very good. Looks like people just can't get enough of Alan Menken.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#2re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 1:31pm

I really don't think quality has anything to do with it when you're talking about Broadway versions of Disney movies.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#3re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 2:18pm

True, people probably just wanted another recording of their favourite princess movie!

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#4re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 2:21pm

It's not surprising really, as everyone else mentioned. It is a Disney show based on one of the most popular Disney movies ever so it makes sense that it'd do so well. Even if most of the new songs were losers, I'd still rather listen to the cd than go see the show live.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#5re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 2:30pm

ditto

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 2:44pm

Actually, I prefer the cast recording because I don't have to look at the UGLIEST staging I've ever seen.

NO FLOUNDER PUFFY PAINT!

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#7re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 3:17pm

Good for the show maybe it will help increase interest in the show. I mean its not great by any stretch but it is jobs for people....

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#8re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 3:23pm

Good for them!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#9re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 3:39pm

Ohhhh, Congrats to Menken.

The show is good, but the CD is INCREDIBLE, so beautiful.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#10re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/5/08 at 8:04pm

Wow. Didn't expect this!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#11re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 12:40am

Actually, I'm thinking it'd be fair to say that the CD is better than the show itself.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#12re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 1:00am

Good for the show maybe it will help increase interest in the show. I mean its not great by any stretch but it is jobs for people....

I have a problem with the "it's not very good but deserves to run because it keeps actors employed" mentality.

NO!

People are paying over $100 a seat. They deserve much more bang for their bucks. And by bang I do not mean elaborate spectacle. The source material for TLM (original story and film) should provide teh basis for a fantastic musical show. Anything less does not deserve to run. (I have the same problem with PHANTOM. It has good elements but overall the show is not very good and does not deserve to be still running after more than 20 years.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#13re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 3:03am

Humm.. maybe I better listen to this on itunes before I fork out the money to own it? I was hoping the Music was good. I like the new ad for the CD a lot. Though the pictures and plot have put me in the, well, I can wait for it to go on Tour crowd.

I want Disney to do better with their shows too. I enjoyed many of them and they should put in the time to make it as good as the Movies. I fear they know their audience too well these days and it isn't the regular Theater crowd. Most Parents, Grandparents will put up with a lot, just to look or think that they are doing their part by taking the kiddies to see a live show.

After this though, I fear I will always want to see anything Disney in pre-views or the cheap seats first before buying one of those over priced tickets.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#14re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 5:46am

Does the billboards chats work the same as the ones in Australia? The Australian ones are based not sales, but the amount shipped to stores, so if Little Mermaid shipped 20,000 copies and only sold 3,000 copies.It would still show up on the chart as 20,000.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

broadwayjim42
#15re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:39am

The Billboard album charts are based on sales, whether it be CD or download. Some of the singles charts are based on a mixture of airplay and sales, but the one in question is flat out sales.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#16re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:28am

I havn't seen the show, but I love the recording, this can only boost sales...
frontrowcentre2, agree with you, but if people are willing to shell out (no pun intended) $100 or more per ticket, why shouldn't the show stay open and keep people employed? Presumably, people buying tickets seen reviews, and done some research on what they're seeing, so they don't waste their money...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#17re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 12:02pm

Well said, frontrow. I agree completely.

Count me in as one who loves the recording (minus Sherie's, IMO, strange, off-putting Ursula). It's a great listen and Sierra is a goddess. I just wish the show could have been something much more artistic and magical.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#18re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 4:04pm

BroadwayJim, thanks for the answer.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

PotO2
#19re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 7:46pm

True, people probably just wanted another recording of their favourite princess movie!

Or, dare I say it, people could actually have a different opinion than you and enjoyed it! What a concept!

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#20re: Little Mermaid OBR Sells 20,000 First Week
Posted: 3/6/08 at 9:44pm

I am ashamed to say that I did buy the CD, but I had to listen to the music for myself. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
Updated On: 3/6/08 at 09:44 PM

Videos