News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Lauren Bacall

Timmer
#125Lauren Bacall
Posted: 8/11/14 at 10:58am

She wasn't teh best singer (a little throaty), but she commanded a stage.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#126Lauren Bacall
Posted: 8/11/14 at 12:48pm

Perhaps in Applause or Woman of the Year, but in Waiting in the Wings, the rest of the cast (unintentionally) made her look a fool. It was SO uncomfortable to watch.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#128Lauren Bacall
Posted: 1/27/15 at 7:39pm

I didn't mind her in Waiting In The Wings. I did however find her to be very frail. We saw it on a afternoon performance. The audience was full of beautiful blue haired ladies. They were very appreciative. It was the perfect audience for that play.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#129Lauren Bacall
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:59am

I saw "Woman of the Year" on my second trip to New York. Like another poster here, it was my Saturday night show. Because that weekend I had already seen "Pirates of Penzance" and "42nd Street" (both with their original casts), it came off as a disappointment.

She was excellent and the show was a first class professional show, but uninspired. My best memory of the show was Marilyn Cooper in her one scene in the second act. As soon as that little woman opened her mouth and that strange voice came out, it was like someone opened a window in a smoke-filled room.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#130Lauren Bacall
Posted: 1/28/15 at 1:15am

You are so right sondheimboy2! I remember the same thing. Everyone was sort of slumped in their seats and then that song started and Ms. Cooper-God rest her soul- started singing and the place went wild!

I heard the story-don't know if it is entirely true- but when the show was in previews, Bacall's agent told her that that song should be cut because it was stealing focus from her. I hear Bacall told him he was crazy and insisted the song stay!

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 01:15 AM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#131Lauren Bacall
Posted: 1/28/15 at 2:12am

Coopie was not only talented, but a wonderful human being. (I did a couple of shows with her in South Florida and for the nine years I later lived in NYC she never failed to stop and chat when we would pass on the Upper West Side.)

She is one of the few performers I have ever seen who really needed no material to be funny. Whether it was her Electra in Lansbury's GYPSY or "What's So Wonderful", the audience was clearly laughing at what she did, not because the writing was clever.

I was so thrilled to see her finally get the recognition of the Tony. (She had been working steadily since she appeared in the original production of GYPSY (i.e., the one with Merman).)

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#132Lauren Bacall
Posted: 1/28/15 at 8:34am

delete

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 08:34 AM

Videos