News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Kelli O'Hara's Contract?

KRaser1
#1Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:46pm

Hello all!

I was lucky enough to see TK&I last spring and want to bring my mom up to see it this December. Does anyone know how long Kelli is currently with the show?

Also, we sat center loge last time and my mom (who is 5'3) would likely do best looking from that vantage point. Front row is currently available, but I can't remember if there was a bar or rigging that may ruin her view. Any advice?

Thanks!

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#2Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:03pm

Don't know for sure if this is correct, but I did hear that her contract is up some time in January.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#3Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:33pm

Up in January but she said that she's planning on being with King and I as long as possible and with Ken allegedly coming back, I'm sure she will extend her contract

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

tombomb31
#4Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 11:24pm

Could she still be there in June?

Phillypinto
#5Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 11:37pm

I think she will yea. This is a big triumph for her and the show is a hit. I think she'll be there for a good 2 years

UnwoundFantasies
#6Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/6/15 at 11:59pm

She also said that she'll be with King and I for awhile, and after that might be taking a bit of a break. Since Ken should be coming back next spring I assume she'll extend to be with him. I don't think she has any other commitments coming up besides her two night Dido and Aeneas concert in April.

UnwoundFantasies
#7Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:01am

And yes front row loge is an excellent view with no obstructions!

Phillypinto
#8Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:07am

Should I see the show in a few weeks or when ken comes back?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#9Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:24am

Ken won't be returning for several months still, if he does return. I saw the show recently with Jose Llana and he was absolutely wonderful. He came off as energetic and youthful, but still had the presence you expect from the king. Should you see Jose, Hoon Lee, Ken, or anyone else, you'll be fine. The over all package of this show is big and it's good.

It basically comes down to how long would you like to wait to see it?

Phillypinto
#10Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:29am

Waiting isn't a problem as long as Kelli and Ruthie are still in the show cause I'm going back to school this month and I usually have to wait to see most shows anyway. And then over thanksgiving and Christmas and spring break and summer break there's lots of new shows to see. I'm just afraid if I wait to long the cast will be tired when I see it so idkkk

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:31am

This better be filmed... Like with Kelli. And they better not do it like South Pacific where they waited for the show to be closing.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Phillypinto
#12Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:33am

I think that's what's happening. They are waiting for ken to come back to film it. What's the problem with waiting til closing?

bfreak
#13Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 11:18am

Philly, if I were you I would wait for Ken Watanabe to return. If he doesn't it's still worth a shot. He gave one of the finest performances last season in my opinion, and watching him honestly felt like I was watching an actual King. Yes there may be a few scattered moments (not many because I saw it once he improved his diction drastically) where he could be difficult to understand, but it feels like nothing for the performance you are watching. I am sure Jose is good, but I sense a possible lack of maturity in his casting and a slight unbelievability that he has been a ruler for decades and at the end of the play is dying. Ken's performance matched with Kelli's tour de force is one that shouldn't be missed. Wait a little while if you have the option.

theatremelvin94
#14Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 4:09pm

Whether or not Ken returns hasn't been determined yet. He has a film commitment, and a new contract has to be signed. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#15Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 10:17pm

The show was filmed before Ken left. It is my understanding that if Ken comes back it will be for 7 weeks.

I am sure that when Bart decided to do it he talked with Kelly about staying with it for a while given they are so close. It is probably a perfect gig for her considering she has kids and can still do recording work and special projects such as the one at City Center next Spring.

As a side note the show has appeared at TKTS much sooner than South Pacific. This happened after Ken left.

UnwoundFantasies
#16Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 10:47pm

From my knowledge it was recorded before Ken left for the New York Public Library but not for Live From Lincoln Center.

Bfreak, having seen both Ken and Jose I can assure Jose is giving a stunning performance as well. Very different performances but both very captivating. I wouldn't disregard Jose too quickly. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#17Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/10/15 at 2:26am

Lots of assuming going on here. No formal statement if and when Ken will be back. Just a lot of "feel good" when he left. South Pacific, billed as the first Broadway revival ever since its original run in 1949, lasted almost two years. The King and I, often revived and most recently in 1995, may not run for much over a year.

Kelli left South Pacific after about a year, not counting the break for maternity leave. She's approaching 40 and is much in demand. Her people want her to do TV and films. This is from her web site:

Having children has affected how O’Hara views her career. She chooses her roles much more carefully, and she’s also considering making more forays into film and television, as the schedule can be slightly more conducive to parenting.

Leaving in January makes a lot of sense for her, and perhaps she would return for the last two weeks if this production is shown on Live From Lincoln Center as South Pacific was.

South Pacific Live From Lincoln Center was just that, a live performance from its last weekend. Kelli came back to the show for the last two weeks so she could be in the broadcast (sorry, Laura). With Live From Lincoln Center, each PBS station is allowed to repeat the show only once and it is not available commercially on DVD. (Don't see the sense of this now with DVRs all around.) 

If you want to see Kelli as Anna, I wouldn't take the risk of hoping for after January.

Phillypinto
#18Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/10/15 at 2:33am

wow thank you for that!! I will try rushing it next week then, but i still hope Kelli stays and Ken comes back!

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#19Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/10/15 at 3:58am

Blue Eyes may know more than I do but the talk about Lincoln Center is that she is staying longer than January.

Phillypinto
#20Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/10/15 at 3:59am

blue eyes, are you lying to us sir?

Liza's Headband
#21Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/10/15 at 8:08am

Blue Eyes may know more than I do but the talk about Lincoln Center is that she is staying longer than January.

^ Correct. I can confirm that SmoothLover is indeed being truthful. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#22Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/10/15 at 8:58am

I was at TKTS Saturday, and was intrigued to see KING AND I up Saturday night.  It remained up.  I've heard it's the hardest matinee ticket, but that evenings are very available.  And this is August, an unpredictable box office (FUN HOME, otherwise SRO, was up at the matinee.) 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#23Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:27am

"blue eyes, are you lying to us sir?"

Yeah, I might be lying. My contacts at Lincoln Center are pretty weak; I just know the guy who opens the door of the limos.

You could try emailing Lincoln Center Theater, or customer service at the Vivian Beaumont.

I just said that it was risky to plan for after January. Based on:

Major Broadway stars don't usually stay with a show for much more than a year.

Kelli left South Pacific (for Laura Osnes) when it still had many months to run.

Kelli is very into motherhood, with two small children, and eight shows a week must limit her time with them.

The King and I, although a big hit playing in a small theater, might not have the staying power of South Pacific. Does a major star want to stay with a show once it starts to fade?

But I give way to anyone who has a solid source.

I'll tweet Kelli and Kelli O'Hara Fans. There is about a 0.1 percent chance of getting a response from Kelli, who rarely even tweets people she knows.

UnwoundFantasies
#24Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/11/15 at 9:27am

Tickets are currently on sale through early February so I would assume she's at least there until then. There's a very high chance that Ken is coming back next spring and if so, I'd imagine Kelli would extend as well. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#25Kelli O'Hara's Contract?
Posted: 8/11/15 at 10:30am

Wow. Kelli not only filled me in on her plans for next year but next week we're going to do lunch. (This is 2017, right?)

There's a very high chance that Ken is coming back next spring and if so, I'd imagine Kelli would extend as well. 

At least I can corroborate that statement, almost, from the LCT web site.

Here is the example that Watanabe, who is entering the last two weeks of his currentKing run, has been setting. (Though plans are not definite, the actor is very likely to return to the show in early spring 2016.)

Kelli O'Hara Fans on Twitter follow me (shows you how desperate they are) and they intercepted my tweet to Kelli and favored it. Kelli follows that group, but I bet the stock answer she gives is that she doesn't know yet.

Updated On: 8/11/15 at 10:30 AM

Videos