News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Into the Woods

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#50re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:57pm

Ferland was sondheims little pal, playing the little girl in sunday.... and little red. great girl roles. She was great in ITW. her replacement was great too!

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#51re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 2:01pm

I wish my opinion wasn't discounted as "foolish" because it is my real opinion backed by not only many years of theater going but also many years of education in the field... that said... perhaps my opinion was not articualted properly... what I meant was that the public still strongly reguards Phantom as worthy entertainment even all these years later...So while the Tonys might not be given according to box office returns...there have been many years of validation... where as Into the Woods has already produced two failed productions... Into the Woods is a wonderful show... but Phantom is clearly the popular favorite ... we've long since given up on the Tonys rewarding real artistic merit..the Tonys have nothing to be embarassed about.

kc

Jesus saves. I spend.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#52re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 2:04pm

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I'll refrain from doing it again. Anyways, the Tony's has quite a bit to be embarassed about. There are already threads dedicated to the fact so you can either wait till next June or do a simple search to find them. Darling.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#53re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 2:10pm

I agree the Tony's does have plenty to embarassed about... just not that particular decision.

your darling
kc

Jesus saves. I spend.

SFFrontRow
#54re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 3:28pm

I have seen both on Broadway (and a touring company of the original in SF).

The original was much better, from the set design to the performances, with one exception. The design of the giant using lighting added to the production.

What you see on the DVD for the original is as close to the theater experience as you can get.

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#55re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:07pm

I've listened to both and I think the original is superior- rent/buy the dvd as well, joanna gleason's performance is great re: Into the Woods
theres my two cents :)

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous

kathryn_with_a_y Profile Photo
kathryn_with_a_y
#56re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/26/05 at 1:08pm

I enjoyed both but please, Is there anyone better than Bernadette?? NO. I loved Christopher Sieber as the prince & Laura Benanti as cinderella. But other than that I found the cast weak. However I do like the new lyrics to 'Last Midnight' and the addition of 'Our Little World'.

"OK, rule number one. Unless you're served in a frosted glass, never come within four feet of my lips." - words of wisdom from Karen Walker

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#57re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/26/05 at 1:45pm

The orignal is amazing, can't be beat.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#58re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/26/05 at 1:59pm

Saw the original and own the DVD. I have only heard the revival and from what I heard, I prefer the original.

Just give the world Love.

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#59re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/26/05 at 2:32pm

I have the original on dvd (pbs or something)I like it! There's one song in the new one that's not in the original. I don't know which one is better? But I have to say the original.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#60re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/26/05 at 6:56pm

The revival while not awful was not as wonderful as the original.

I agree they gave the Tony for best revival to WOODS that year to make up for not giving it best musical in 1988. Seeing te revivals of OKLAHOMA! and INTO THE WOODS back to back I would have to say I thought OKLAHOMA! was the better of the two.

Seeing WOODS and POTO back to back in January 1988 I felt that WOODS was easily teh better of the two. I have seen a dozen productions since and always enjoy it. I could barely sit through POTO once.

Lots of smash hot long running shows do not win Tonys: GREASE, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, MISS SAIGON. The Tonys are not sold just on Box Office success. POTO had a spectacular stage design and direction (like LION KING) but the awards for Best Book and Best Score went to WOODS indicating that the voters felt WOODS was the better written show. (and IMHO, it is!) I think that is why I like it better. I am not one sucked in by scenery (and I flatly refuse to applaud scene changes no matter how well executed.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Videos