News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Into the Woods

QueenS
#25re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:12am

I saw both live and there's no doubt that the original was better. Except for the cow.

In the second act of the revival, I was routing for the giantess. Really hoped that she would step on them all.

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#26re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:20am

the original was just a bigger production, design-wise , you really felt as if you were lost in the woods, it was more realistic the whole idea of the fairy-tale characters coming out of their books was very "regional", a bored high school theatre/english teacher could've done better

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#27re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:24am

I'd have to say revival. As wonderful as the original is, the revival holds a special place in my heart. I thought Vanessa Williams was sublime as the Witch, her smooth vocals created a different tone for the Witch's songs, "Last Midnight" being a huge standout. The set was absolutely gorgeous and the lighting was amazing. I loved Kerry O'Malley as the Baker's Wife, who played it much sweeter than Joanne Gleason (although, Gleason was incredible). The entire cast, with the exception of Adam Wylie and his buzzsaw vibrato, was top notch. I know Marylouise Burke isn't much of a singer and had a lot of trouble with the music, but I liked her characterization. And I thought Molly Ephraim was cute, although she did miss some of the funny lines that Danielle Ferland nails. "Into the Woods" was the first show I fell in love with and it remains my all-time favorite.

Oh, and, John McMartin was fabulous.
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 10:24 AM

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#28re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:28am

I enjoyed the colder performances in the original, it added to the idea that the woods are dark and these stories we all grew up with truly are twisted and ugly as are people (even if pretty and "disney" on the surface. Vanessa Williams was hard to listen to and the cow scared me!

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#29re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:28am

The original, with the exception of Chad Kimball, the only truly innovative new idea that Lapine brought to the revival. The Tony Award was a joke that they won for revival that year. They obviously felt guilty about giving the award to Phantom!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

TheQuibbler
#30re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:30am

I thought that the happier tone that the revival played up in the first act made Act II seem all the more devasting.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#31re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:36am

agreeing to disagree about Red and Jack's mom, Quibbler, but you are so right about John McMartin...he was amazing and really deserved his nomination for a role that was annoying in the original. I am sorry I forgot about that.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#32re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:37am

I just didn't feel for any of the characters in the revival. I was indifferent as to what happened to them. Of course I was like 15 when I saw the orig. and 30 for the revival, maybe my age has something to do with it

TheQuibbler
#33re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:42am

By the way, I loved the way that the Baker's Wife's death was staged. I think it had much more of an effect than the original staging. The way the Broadhurst shook when the giant approached was thrilling.

And perhaps it's a matter of which one I saw live. I wasn't around for the original, so I have only seen the DVD. Perhaps it's harder to connect to something that isn't live? I don't know how it felt to be there in the Martin Beck theatre when the giant struck, so it's a little harder for me to say which one was ultimately more effective. But, I loved the shadow.
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 10:42 AM

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#34re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 10:51am

Agreed, amazing show! Whether seen in a barn at a summer theatre or in NYC, the same story and lessons are there, we pick up what we want. There was a high school production that added green finch from Sweeney for rapunzel (odd) and The first University to get the rights to the show had dancing trees (really odd). Part of the fun of revivals and small productions is seeing just how people interpret things.

BrdwayObsessed
#35re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:03am

While the original is my favorite, there are aspects of the revival that I prefer, Laura Benanti’s Cinderella and Chris Sieber’s Prince being the main ones.

I do wish that the original ending of "On the Steps of the Palace" were kept since I really prefer Ms. Benanti's version up until the end.

SorryGrateful
#36re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:07am

They added "Green Finch" to Into the Woods? That makes zero sense. What the blank?

You promised me poems. ~Tricky
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 11:07 AM

twogaab2
#37re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:12am

The original production was better. In the second, they seem to be act just the text rather than the subtext.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#38re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:15am

didn't see that particular production, just makes rapunzel seem a little crazy. This was before Rapunzel got her duet with the witch in the revival, the song from the london company, what's the name?
perfect?
our little world?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#39re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:26am

Omg, when i saw the revival it was Vanessa Williams' last week and who was playing Stepmother....Joy Franz....i was so excited at the stage door, i was liek i love you....she was liek you don't knwo who i am i was like....YOU ARE JOY FRANZ THE ORIGINAL STEPMOTHER!....she was like whoa you are good!

katygrace84 Profile Photo
katygrace84
#40re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:31am

I saw this performed in a local production when I was in grade school. I liked it but all I remembered was something about fairytales and a bunch of people skipping around singing the words "Into the woods" over and over again. My roommate is a Sondehim fanfatic and bought the DVD not too long ago. I watched it with her and fell in love with it. This show is just fantastic. I don't know about any subsequent performanecs, but the one on the DVD is great. I kept askingmy roommate when the witch was going to turn back into Bernadette Peters. Fabulous show.

Pinaud Profile Photo
Pinaud
#41re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:31am

Bwaybaby18- The three pigs and second wolf were talked about for the original production, but were never used. There were a number of other fairy tale inclusions that ended up being cut, for the better in my opinion.(like the Baker's Wife being poisoned by Snow White's apple)

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#42re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:34am

Two things the revival did right:

1. The set design and the projection of the giant. Stunning.

2. The tone of the second act. The original was a little more ruminative (did I just make that word up?). It was practically Chekhovian. The revival added an urgency to the second act that was spectacular.

The biggest problem with the revival:

The casting of Jack and Little Red. Having actual children play the roles took away from the burgeoning sexuality of the characters. Those songs are COMPLETELY about sex.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#43re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 11:44am

Original for me was way better, Bernadette Peters was funny as the witch.

AngusN
#44re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:13pm

Danielle Ferland WAS only a child when she did 'Into the Woods'. She was just 15 when she started rehearsing and 16 when it hit Broadway.

Sumofallthings
#45re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:22pm

But she brought this maturity to the role that most 16 year olds couldn't.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#46re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:42pm

I'm actually going to have to disagree with you about Danielle Ferland. I think she was one of the weakest links in the entire original production. She had no stage presence. Her voice was perfect for Little Red and she said the lines right, but her facial expressions were so blah. I guess I'm just really critical over her portrayl because I want to play Little Red someday haha.
And everyone loves Bernadette? Okay, dont get me wrong, I'm a Bernie fan- She is fabulous in Sunday in the park with George, beyond comparison, but I feel like if that was any other actress playing it the way Bernadette did in the original, she wouldnt be liked. Bernadette was so crazy and I feel like she got away with a lot of things because she is a Broadway star. I did like Bernadette, just not loved. She was funny. Anyone else feel the same way?
I think the real star of Into the Woods was Johanna Gleason. She was my favorite part. I have nothing else to compare the original to besides a really terrible community theatre production, but I loved it. It was brilliantly staged and I never lost interest.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#47re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:45pm

A lot of people hated the Revival... it's almost hip to not like it... I thought it glowed with magic... Vanessa Williams doesn't have the acting chops really... but it made her role stand out less... which was effective because the witch is NOT the main character of the musical... having Bernadette Peters play the role off sets the balance of what should be a completely ensemble piece... Joanna Gleason's acting was SO good and SO likeable she JUMPED out of the ensemble... I think it that hurts the flow of the show... Also, the revival seemed to performed without ironic quotation marks like the original was... I think the original goes so far out of it's way to point up the pyschological subtext... you lose the elements of character and story... those elements lead the revival (obviously in my opinion) and the subtext was well represented as well... The whole production really seemed magical to me and I think that's how a musical about fairy tales should come across. A side note, when I saw the revival Jack was played by Chad Kimball and Little Red was played by Kate Reinders... both gave magnificent performances that I can't imagine were topped by the actual performers... As for the Tony Award being a joke... Did you see Oklahoma? Not the Hugh Jackman video but the production that opened on Broadway? It was not quite what it should have been (the sets were quite marvelous). Also, how could the Tonys be embarassed about giving the Tony to Phantom? Phantom of the Opera is THE musical phenomenon of that decade... it's still running and most likely will run for a long time... both Into the Woods productions lost money... I'm not saying Tonys are given according to box office returns.. but Phantom should NOT be sniffed at.

kc

kc

Jesus saves. I spend.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#48re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:48pm

There is a difference between 16 year old girls and seemingly 13 year old girls. Ya just can't go there with 13 year olds. 16 year olds are devloped physically. Allowing them to explore the sexuality of the song is ok...not so for a 13 year old.

And Ferland was pretty close to definitive. As was the rest of the original cast.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Sumofallthings
#49re: Into the Woods
Posted: 8/25/05 at 1:51pm

"Also, how could the Tonys be embarassed about giving the Tony to Phantom? Phantom of the Opera is THE musical phenomenon of that decade... it's still running and most likely will run for a long time... both Into the Woods productions lost money... I'm not saying Tonys are given according to box office returns.. but Phantom should NOT be sniffed at."

Foolish statement. The Tonys like any awards show doesn't always give the award to the most deserving performance. Number of wins, number of nominations, age, experience, etc. They all play a role! You just basically said the Tony's were made credible by box office returns. So saying "I'm not saying Tonys are given according to box office returns.. " is foolish.

Videos