News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

How do you feel about Susan Boyle?- Page 2

How do you feel about Susan Boyle?

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#25re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 8:13pm

Jane2, about 701,000 others agree with you. This was her first week sells, easily making this the biggest in all of 2009. This is absolutely stunning, considering she bowed in the same week that Adam Lambert, Lady Gaga, and Rihanna also had new releases. It is not possible that she could sell that many CD's on her novelty alone (it that were the case, Taylor Hicks would be a phenomenon).

I think that the lady's got talent, and good for her for having such a huge debut!

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#26re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 8:51pm

She sucks!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 8:52pm

As stated before, no one, including me is saying that this is a novelty. However, it is ludicrous to discount the psychology of her phenomenon to increase sales. People are not purchasing her CDs based on talent alone. They are buying into the dream she represents. Also, no one has said her voice is terrible, just that they have heard better and some people are sick of her. Those are valid.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#28re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 8:57pm

Her voice is terrible

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#29re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 9:29pm

I would be a lot more taken with the story had I not known what I was watching when I first saw the youtube video.

The story has been totally overdone (shocking, that hardly ever happens nowadays). I hope she enjoys herself and whatever she is doing is making her happy.

Tony2600
#30re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 9:35pm

So, you're suggesting it's a mistake for the Weisslers to want her to play Fosca.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#31re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/8/09 at 10:53pm

I agree that talent alone is not what is selling this album. God knows that there are much more talented people who haven't had a fraction of the sells that Boyle has in there entire career, let alone in one week. It's obvious that she wouldn't have sold a single album if it hadn't been for the YouTube video and the pub that followed. However, I just can't believe that it's the "backstory" alone that is compelling 701,000 people to shell out the $10 for this album. I don't know if I really have a clear answer as to what it is. I just have to say that I am stunned by these kinds of numbers and I don't know if we can entirely explain it. I for one am not a huge fan, but I have heard a lot worse (much of it on Top 40 radio)

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#32re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/9/09 at 12:33pm

I could honestly take or leave her. However, the two cuts I've heard from her CD were better than I had expected them to be.

My opinion is that if it takes a 50-something spinster from Britain to make more people listen to showtunes (and admit to doing so), then more power to her. She's doing more for showtune lovers on a global scale than anyone naysayers on these boards, that's for sure!

Go, Susan. Keep on singing and selling CDs of showtunes. Amen.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

Lohania
#33re: How do you feel about Susan Boyle?
Posted: 12/9/09 at 12:37pm

I've read her compared to Mrs. Miller (she's before my time, too, but you can see Mrs. Miller on YouTube & read about her mid-'60s overnight success on Wikepedia), only with a more palatable singing voice. I think it's a good comparison. There is a guilt factor in an era where performers are so judged on looks. She also looks like some people's moms, grandmas, or aunties. She has a maternal quality, even though she's not a mom herself. Susan is musical comfort food, like a jello salad.

Videos