News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hamilton Box Seats

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#125Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/16/16 at 7:27pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "For those interested, I stopped by the box office a couple weeks ago and was told there were no more box seats available and more will not be released until the next block of dates goes on sale.

"

Don't say that because some members may accuse you as a lair. I got a nasty PM when I just reported what I was told at the box office. Of course I reported it as an abusive PM.

Esgred
#126Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/16/16 at 7:43pm

lite2shine said: "Don't say that because some members may accuse you as a lair. I got a nasty PM when I just reported what I was told at the box office. Of course I reported it as an abusive PM."

If you are misrepresenting me, or the PM I sent you, no wonder you have been ignored (by the Admins in your reporting an "abusive" PM) just as you ignored me.

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 07:43 PM

Esgred
#127Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/16/16 at 7:53pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "For those interested, I stopped by the box office a couple weeks ago and was told there were no more box seats available and more will not be released until the next block of dates goes on sale."

If you were told that no more box seats (for any date) will be released before the next block of dates goes on sale in June, then the employee that was talking to you did not give you all of the information that is available (whether the person was ignorant of this, or just didn't feel like going into detail, I do not know).

There is always a possibility that more box seats will be available for sale (for prior to February 2017).  I was told this by a box office employee, and those of us following this thread have seen it happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-box seats: Also, a bunch of non-box seats for November through January 2017 went on sale via Ticketmaster on Wednesday, May 11th around 9:15 pm, and people were still buying them at 11 am and later the next day.  (This is not at all related to the fact that box seats can become available at any time.)

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 07:53 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#128Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/16/16 at 8:01pm

Ok well I'm just saying what I was told. They told me all the box seats have been sold for the rest of the on sale period. Maybe they were lying but that's what they said. 

And yes, I know a bunch of tickets went on sale at ticket master but those weren't seats that were held back from prior sales. They were orders that were cancelled because the purchasers had exceeded the 10 ticket limit for that time period. So ticketmaster cancelled all orders in excess and then released them all in a single batch a few days ago. I would expect to see more of that happen because the limits aren't very clear. However since you can only buy box seats at the box office, that same issue won't come up for those. 

Esgred
#129Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/16/16 at 8:47pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "Ok well I'm just saying what I was told. They told me all the box seats have been sold for the rest of the on sale period. Maybe they were lying but that's what they said."

You are missing my point.  Your information is not useful, because more box seats can become available at any time.  Just because there aren't any box seats available today, doesn't mean that there won't be some available tomorrow

I never, ever said that the employee was lying.  S/he just left out some information.  I said that the box office employee was misinformed, or being lazy by not giving you all of the information.

"And yes, I know a bunch of tickets went on sale at ticket master but those weren't seats that were held back from prior sales. They were orders that were cancelled because the purchasers had exceeded the 10 ticket limit for that time period. So, Ticketmaster cancelled all orders in excess and then released them all in a single batch a few days ago. I would expect to see more of that happen because the limits aren't very clear. However since you can only buy box seats at the box office, that same issue won't come up for those."

I know all about that, and people can read about it for themselves in news stories.  It was on Wednesday night, and the tickets were still available at midday on Thursday.

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 08:47 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#130Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/16/16 at 9:14pm

all I did was report what I was told by the box office. If that information is incorrect you can say the contrary information you have without taking such a nasty tone. I'm not sure how more box seats can just become available if they've all been sold (because there's no situation like what happened with the ticketmaster issue), which is what I was told. Seats don't just appear if they're already sold. If the box office was wrong that they've all been sold, then the information is wrong and maybe they'll release more, but all I said is that's what they told me. If you have information that contradicts that or that they haven't all been sold, feel free to share the information you have but the tone is totally unnecessary. 

And of course I know anyone can look up the reason for the sales the other night. But I actually wasn't the one who brought it up as an example of more tickets becoming available. I understood you thought from your post that the box seats could be a similar situation. I was just explaining why they're different scenarios. 

OK I'll go back to my standard procedure of ignoring people who are needlessly nasty on these boards now. Not sure why I broke that habit here. 

Esgred
#131Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:35am

"...you can only buy box seats at the box office."

This is just an FYI: One can buy re-sale box seats on StubHub and VividSeats (and from your friends and relatives).  The buyer would have to have the physical tickets mailed, sent via UPS, or otherwise given to her/him.

Maybe the price for box seats via StubHub and VividSeats will not be as high after the OBC has left.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#132Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 5/17/16 at 2:31pm

It all depends on who you get at the Box Office.  There are folks there who will say "nothing until the next release" and others the same or next day who will sell you tickets.  There are no rules other than there are no rules and it's worth stopping by and asking if you're in the neighborhood.

WanderFul
#133Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/2/16 at 9:03am

I'm having trouble figuring out what time the box office opens during the week (Friday, specifically). We are going to try our luck for box seats when we are in town.

Wee Thomas2
#134Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/2/16 at 10:40am

Here you go

miatamel
#135Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/3/16 at 4:36pm

I have committed to giving my 15 year old a ticket for her birthday (and, based on the rising prices, every other gift giving occasion from now to evermore).  Every couple of days I look at prices, hoping for who knows what--perhaps a small miracle??, and they just keep rising and rising.  We will be traveling from MS and I can only afford ONE ticket so I'm trying to do the best again. 
Based on my cursory look this morning, my options for fall are:
Box G, H, F, E, C, on varying days in the months of September, October, early November.  Box C is more expensive than the already gosh-awful prices but from what I'm reading here I gather that is the best choice of these?
Or should I hang on and hope prices decrease in July after contract stuff is released about the OBC?  She's got her hopes up now and I'm almost scared to wait in case prices just get worse (I actually thought they might drop a little for fall after the announcement of LMM's departure yesterday but based on my log book, that didn't happen!)
Thank y'all--I'm in ole Mississippi and am flying by the seat of my pants here so I appreciate the guidance.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#136Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/3/16 at 4:44pm

Yes, definitely take box c.  I doubt prices will get wlrse, and I'm thinking they won't  get much better.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wee Thomas2
#137Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/4/16 at 8:18am

I expect resale prices will drop once Lin and Leslie announce departures.

Mediamaven2
#138Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:13am

miatamel said: "I have committed to giving my 15 year old a ticket for her birthday (and, based on the rising prices, every other gift giving occasion from now to evermore).  Every couple of days I look at prices, hoping for who knows what--perhaps a small miracle??, and they just keep rising and rising.  We will be traveling from MS and I can only afford ONE ticket so I'm trying to do the best again. 
Box G, H, F, E, C, on varying days in the months of September, October, early November.  Box C is more expensive than the already gosh-awful prices but from what I'm reading here I gather that is the best choice of these?
Or should I hang on and hope prices decrease in July after contract stuff is released about the OBC?  She's got her hopes up now and I'm almost scared to wait in case prices just get worse (I actually thought they might drop a little for fall after the announcement of LMM's departure yesterday but based on my log book, that didn't happen!)
Thank y'all--I'm in ole Mississippi and am flying by the seat of my pants here so I appreciate the guidance.

"

I would try, if possible, to avoid the box seats. Unless you are getting them at an unbelievable great price, i.e. no more than triple the value considering the inflated prices, forget it. Also, I'd wait til the day of the show for chance of better value.

I DO feel your pain as I very very recently felt obliged to share this live theatrical experience with my sister from upstate (while I am local, on to this earlier and able to buy normal price tickets way back).

Being that it involved the expense and planning of travel for herself (and care for her kids) I felt the need to make an advance commitment, and one that would truly "work" albeit the one in  a million that stubhub doesn't. Therefore I paid alot for tix off ticketmaster resale.

I regret I did that. In hindsight, my anxiety to "make sure" I had safe seats before my upstate sister went to the expense and difficulty of getting here was ill placed. There are always seats available for quintuple the face value on the day of the show, and if you are lucky maybe you get a better seat for only quadruple the value! 

Also, I once sat in the box seats - was back in Sept  courtesy my other sister from LA who wanted to see the show I raved about one weekend she happened to be in NYC - so while I didn't pay for them, and I'm not sure if she got them from box office day of regular price  or what back then, or stubhub (as guest I never asked) but  I would never sit in them again for Hamilton for anything more than $500 given the current prices for other seats. They are that much worse. I felt the angle was very very poor.  I recall that I was glad I had memory of the show from recently seeing it front/orchestra. I don't think my companion got the full effect from watching, sometimes, the tops of performer's heads.  I forget which letter it was as it was back in September but suffice it to say I would spend- if you could- a few hundred more for orchestra anywhere/orchestra. Even the back or the far side of orchestra is, IMHO, much better than box. Perhaps I was in the box seat that was closest to the stage...it wasn't good. 

It's hard to tell other people what to do re money and make judgments on how much is too much/risk / reward etc and varying levels of taste re where you like to sit and from where you can best enjoy a show. Opinions such as mine must be filtered through that...good luck and you are a terrific mom to give your 15 yr old this great experience that will always be a treasured lifetime memory! 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#139Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:34am

I don't know which box Mediamaven was in, but I sat in Box B in May and I thought the view was excellent. We missed only a small portion of the far side of the stage, and I thought the choreography and lighting looked fine from the box. Also, you're very close to the actors. You do see the backs of their heads occasionally, but because there's so much movement, your view changes in a few seconds anyway.

I would NOT sit in the upper boxes, which are E, F, G and H. From those you would see more of the tops of the actors' heads. B and D are the best boxes at the Richard Rodgers in my opinion.

(I paid the regular price for the box seats ($177) because I had purchased them in November.)

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 10:34 AM

Mediamaven2
#140Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:39am

macnyc, thank you for clarifying. I guess, since I can't remember the box it was, my 'opinion' is less helpful than your very fresh memory with specific guidance re specific boxes.

My seats must have been in the worse boxes you describe. And you are making me rethink my sweeping generalization against box seats...

Thanks for your clearer guiding info....

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#141Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:53am

Glad to help when I can! Also, and I've posted this before, you can see photos that people have taken from various seats in the RR. There are several posted from all the boxes (maybe lacking one or two). Plus, often there are comments from the people who sat there, so you can view before you buy.

Also, with three seats in a box (at least the lower boxes) they are very comfy and private, with lots of leg room because you can move your seats for the best view and plenty of room for your belongings. I was very happy there with two friends.

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Richard+Rodgers+Theatre/

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 10:53 AM

miatamel
#142Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 6/8/16 at 12:16am

Mediamaven2 said: "miatamel said: "I have committed to giving my 15 year old a ticket for her birthday (and, based on the rising prices, every other gift giving occasion from now to evermore).  Every couple of days I look at prices, hoping for who knows what--perhaps a small miracle??, and they just keep rising and rising.  We will be traveling from MS and I can only afford ONE ticket so I'm trying to do the best again. 

"

I would try, if possible, to avoid the box seats. Unless you are getting them at an unbelievable great price, i.e. no more than triple the value considering the inflated prices, forget it. Also, I'd wait til the day of the show for chance of better value.

I DO feel your pain as I very very recently felt obliged to share this live theatrical experience with my sister from upstate (while I am local, on to this earlier and able to buy normal price tickets way back).

Being that it involved the expense and planning of travel for herself (and care for her kids) I felt the need to make an advance commitment, and one that would truly "work" albeit the one in  a million that stubhub doesn't. Therefore I paid alot for tix off ticketmaster resale.

I regret I did that. In hindsight, my anxiety to "make sure" I had safe seats before my upstate sister went to the expense and difficulty of getting here was ill placed. There are always seats available for quintuple the face value on the day of the show, and if you are lucky maybe you get a better seat for only quadruple the value! 

Also, I once sat in the box seats - was back in Sept  courtesy my other sister from LA who wanted to see the show I raved about one weekend she happened to be in NYC - so while I didn't pay for them, and I'm not sure if she got them from box office day of regular price  or what back then, or stubhub (as guest I never asked) but  I would never sit in them again for Hamilton for anything more than $500 given the current prices for other seats. They are that much worse. I felt the angle was very very poor.  I recall that I was glad I had memory of the show from recently seeing it front/orchestra. I don't think my companion got the full effect from watching, sometimes, the tops of performer's heads.  I forget which letter it was as it was back in September but suffice it to say I would spend- if you could- a few hundred more for orchestra anywhere/orchestra. Even the back or the far side of orchestra is, IMHO, much better than box. Perhaps I was in the box seat that was closest to the stage...it wasn't good. 

It's hard to tell other people what to do re money and make judgments on how much is too much/risk / reward etc and varying levels of taste re where you like to sit and from where you can best enjoy a show. Opinions such as mine must be filtered through that...good luck and you are a terrific mom to give your 15 yr old this great experience that will always be a treasured lifetime memory! 

"

There's an Orchestra, Row C Seat 20 available...which is all the way over with a "partial view" but the price isn't as stinky as some I've seen.  Think that one is better than a Box?

Wee Thomas2
#143Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/7/16 at 7:21am

So what happened to the box seats in the latest sale?  No one has posted here since that block of tix went on sale, and I didn't notice anyone saying they had gotten boxes from Ticketmaster in the presales or regular sale.

We stopped by the box office this past weekend and were told they have no box seats at all, only $849 seats, and only for Gold (or higher) Amex card holders.  Which is ridiculous in my book a month later.  If I showed up there with 85 Hamiltons (that all say "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" would they really not sell me a ticket?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#144Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:43pm

Wee Thomas2 said: "
We stopped by the box office this past weekend and were told they have no box seats at all, only $849 seats, and only for Gold (or higher) Amex card holders.  Which is ridiculous in my book a month later.  If I showed up there with 85 Hamiltons (that all say "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" would they really not sell me a ticket?

"

When I asked for box seats in February, I was told there were no more box seats left. But then later, some box seats were available, so you never know. It could be the box office person not wanting to search, or the theatre releases more box seat tickets. 

dramamama611
#145Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:07pm

I had a friend check at th be box office about two weeks after tbe last batch of yix went up and was told there were none.

I'll find all have been using Google my box seats on the 20th!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wee Thomas2
#146Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:51pm

dramamama611 said: "I had a friend check at th be box office about two weeks after tbe last batch of yix went up and was told there were none.

I'll find all have been using Google my box seats on the 20th!

"

I am parsing that last sentence and I just KNOW there's a hidden message in there but I sure as heck can't find it.

saisai
#147Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/7/16 at 5:20pm

I thought that maybe the boxes would be included in the increased lottery seats from Feb 2016 onward.

dramamama611
#148Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/7/16 at 5:51pm

I have NO idea what happened to that post!   I'm quite sure that something odd  happened when posting....as evidenced by the change in font.  (Well, at least on my screen, that last sentence LOOKS differently than the rest of the post!)

All I meant was:  I'm finally going to use my box b seats on the 20th, I've been holding them since NOVEMBER!  

Esgred
#149Hamilton Box Seats
Posted: 7/8/16 at 4:36pm

Wee Thomas2 said: "So what happened to the box seats in the latest sale? 
We stopped by the box office this past weekend and were told they have no box seats at all.
"

The box seats that went on sale when the box office opened on June 13th were gobbled up immediately.  (Box seats are not sold by TicketMaster.)  IIRC, I read somewhere that there were something like 200 people in a queue for the box office when it opened on June 13th.

I meant to go there on June 14th or 15th to see about box seats, but I forgot about it until June 22nd.  The box seats were all gone by then.

Yes, they can have box seats available in the future, so keep on checking back at the box office (yes, even if the stern woman outside doesn't want to let you inside).

Updated On: 10/5/16 at 04:36 PM

Videos