News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HARDBODY to Close 4/13

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#100HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:47pm

^Seriously people! Let's bring the thread to focus, the site that shall not be named had sold out of them as of last night anyway! Let's focus on the sad fact, an innovative show is closing and people are out of work! And yes! I did see it and enjoyed the experience very much!

rubydoo
#101HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:49pm

I suppose I am partly to blame for keeping this alive. In any case, it's too late now for the members of the site. Doesn't matter anymore. It only matters for the future and the possibility of getting tickets. And if you don't understand, that's fine , too, but I know that there are going to be lots of members who won't be pleased with what happened here.

eProducer

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#102HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:50pm

SHE'S GOTTA GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT STUDENTRUSH.ORG!

Not following the harm in posting deal coming from a group that doesn't even charge membership. Would it have been better if they just told everyone to go sign up? What difference is there if the person is part of that group or not? The show still gets the, very little, money...

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#103HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:52pm

HARDBODY to Close 4/13

Exactly how hard is it to backpedal, ruby?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#104HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:56pm

Ruby

Why don't you ask your mommy for a membership for your 12th birthday for one of the paid papering groups?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#105HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:56pm

I wonder how the members of StudentRush.org feel about this thread. If only a representative of the site who could serve as the voice of all members of StudentRush.org and speak on their behalf would emerge from StudentRush.org, enter the minds of StudentRush.org members and let us know how StudentRush.org members think and feel about this StudentRush.org catastrophe. And hopefully, they (the StudentRush.org proxy) would remind us again and again and over and over and yet again how disastrous and calamitous this is or could potentially be not only to StudentRush.org, but to all StudentRush.org members, who are counting on them to be the sole voice of the StudentRush.org people.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#106HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 2:58pm

I find it interesting that said website clearly states not to share on social media, but does have a facebook page to like. Just a note, after re-reading my confirmation email from said site.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#107HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 3:03pm

HARDBODY to Close 4/13

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ed from CT
#108HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 3:20pm

I am not a spokesperson for StudentRush.org but they have set policies and I have found them to be a really wonderful organization. If people do not follow their policies then those are the ones to blame and I know StudentRush.org takes a hard line on that and their membership will be revoked- as it should be.
Certainly not their fault that ticket sales the past few weeks were so slow for this show.
Let's face it, it got good reviews but the concept was a hard sell for a Broadway show (reminiscent of "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" and "Lysistrata Jones").
Don't blame StudentRush.org, though!

Rainbowhigh23
#109HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 3:23pm

Jordan, I paid full for Matilda, Pippin, Last Five Years, Passion and a few others recently. I rushed Hardbody and had a wonderful seat and was curious who was comping it because everyone was posting they got comps but I didn't pursue seeing it again on a comp. I love the arts and want to see more shows than I could possibly afford, so when money is tight, I'm glad the services are there.

If some sweet person in theaterland wants to underwrite a ticket for me to see their show hey, I'm all for it with no shame. My voluptuous butt in the seat is support for the arts. And I'm sure the massive amount of people rushing the $10 tickets to Passion were not from a homeless shelter.

Dollypop
#110HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 3:33pm

"If only they had cast a well-known movie or tv star."

Loretta Swit was available.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

willep
#111HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 5:24pm

Sure, StudentRush wants you to join their organization...but it is the shows themselves that don't want you announcing that there a free or cheap tickets available to their shows, that makes for less people paying bigger bucks to that show. The rules are there for a reason, and yeah, StudentRush was hurt by this thread and can no longer get any tickets for the show (as per their Twitter). It's a good organization. Let's show some class.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#112HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 5:41pm

Maybe now people will actually pay for their tickets and help these poor producers recover some of their losses.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#113HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 5:41pm

The reaction on this thread is a bit overblown, but I understand where the organization is coming from. This feels a bit like "this is why we can't have nice things" to me.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Theaterati
#114HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 5:44pm

@qolbinau How about it if you would shell out some cash for the tickets to cover a few people? Papering sites exist. Producers are the ones who give tickets to them so that the audiences and actors don't perform in an empty theater. Again, it's the producers who initiate the papering. Got it? Poor producers? Are you a theater major? If you were, you'd know that papering is part of the business, and it has its place.

Updated On: 4/9/13 at 05:44 PM

FindingNamo
#115HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 7:40pm

Quick question for those pathologically obsessed with the rules of studentrush: Have any of you ever watched a bootleg of a show? Own any?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BWFan101 Profile Photo
BWFan101
#116HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 7:45pm

I don't know what's sadder: Hardbody closing or the fact I read through this entire post!

On the bright side, I now realize how lucky I am to be able to afford not just regular, but premium priced seating!

Common sense? What's common about it? No one has common sense. It should be called rare sense.

Theaterati
#117HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 8:12pm

@FindingNamo Yeah, but if I were to watch a bootleg movie, it doesn't stop anyone else from seeing another bootleg copy. But, in this case, whoever announced StudentRush.org's offer for all to see, said, "Screw the rules!", which are there for a reason: producers, who gave StudentRush.org the tickets in the first place, don't want everyone to know that their show is papering. Because they want to salvage any possibility of getting someone who can afford it, to buy a full price ticket. On the other hand, the producers realize that an empty theater is no fun for either the actors or the audience. So they paper.

It's not about bootleg movies, here. If I were to watch a bootleg movie, I wouldn't be stopping anyone else from watching one. This is about about one person ruining it for -- I can only guess -- thousands of people, mostly students, who can't normally afford a full price ticket. Is it right for someone to flagrantly violate the rules and in the process screw everyone else? Is this okay with you?

So, the producers are probably ticked off at StudentRush.Org, who makes it very clear in their rules, just like ALL of the other theater clubs, that their deals aren't supposed to be published on any social media sites or chat rooms. Ironically, the person who did this, and, who, like everyone else, won't be able to use the service anymore, is one of the very people most likely to be able to benefit from it!

In summary, your bootleg analogy is a pile of warm runny doodoo. The person who posted the offer for all to see screwed not only StudentRush.org members, but also the actors and the audiences of future performances.

I strongly suggest you stay in school, and I thank you for reading this.

Updated On: 4/9/13 at 08:12 PM

FindingNamo
#118HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 8:21pm

@FindingNamo Yeah, but it doesn't stop anyone else from seeing another bootleg copy.

That pretty much says everything I need to know about you.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Theaterati
#119HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 8:21pm

@TheatreFan4 This is your post:

"Hey DooDoo, those $5 tickets. Not exactly helping the show. You want to see the show then get your ass in the Rush line, do some work. And It's still pretty damn funny."

Your entire foot is sticking out of your mouth! Did you know that it was the producers themselves who gave StudentRush.Org those tickets in the first place? Yes, gunkyhead. You don't know gunk from gunkola. It's great to see that there are still such fools who display unbelievable ignorance. At least they make us laugh. Ha-ha! Stay in school. HARDBODY to Close 4/13

Updated On: 4/9/13 at 08:21 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#120HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:03pm

So what about when people see the grosses that are released? Everyone can see a large disparity between the percent capacity and the grosses. There are plenty of ways to see how much a show is papering. I don't get why people think it's a secret.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#121HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 9:23pm

First, I'm sorry Hardbody is closing. I am taking a week's vacation in May, I have Macbeth tickets and want to see a few more shows. Hardbody was on my list, especially because I wanted to hear Hunter Foster sing The ladies Who Lunch as he promised.

That said, I am not a member of the Broadway World cognoscenti. Can someone, perhaps in a private message, please explain about papering sites and such as I am always on the make for discounts when I can find them. It allows me to see more shows.

I am over 35, so LCT's special discount and other such age restricted ones are of no help for me.

Thanks.

Updated On: 4/9/13 at 09:23 PM

Theaterati
#122HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 10:01pm

@ClydeBarrow If you ever said to a producer what you just wrote, she would look at you like you were an alien, and would wonder what universe you came from. Who said, "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"? This quote must been just for you. Unbelievable. Stay in school. HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Updated On: 4/9/13 at 10:01 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#123HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 10:03pm

This whole student rush thing is weird. So someone posted some info that they weren't supposed to. What did you people expect? It's the internet. Did you seriously believe this wouldn't happen?

The amount of pearl clutching that guy's post has engendered is laughable. Calm the eff down and stop whining that you might not get free tickets. I don't think many people here really give a damn.

And it doesn't help that rubywhatever and theaterati come off like obnoxious gatekeepers of some "club". And you both spew insults at a third grade level.

Just go away and stop bringing attention to the situation.

....but the world goes 'round

Theaterati
#124HARDBODY to Close 4/13
Posted: 4/9/13 at 10:04pm

Good one!

Videos