News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Family Circle view at the Met Opera

Family Circle view at the Met Opera

theatremelvin94
#1Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 12:56am

I am going to be around the Lincoln Center area tomorrow and thought I might stop by the Met to purchase a ticket for Tannhäuser. I haven't seen James Levine conduct in awhile, and I may not get to see him do so again.

However, I'm quite tight on cash at the moment and therefore considering the Family Circle section. The farthest back I've ever sat at the Met was the first row in the Balcony, which was a great seat. Has anyone here sat in the Family Circle? How would you describe the view and the acoustics? 

temms Profile Photo
temms
#2Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 4:31am

I've sat up there a lot. The view is distant. You're really high up and really far back. You won't see faces at all, but you get a good sense of the whole stage picture. It is a bit like watching a miniature theatre.

But the sound is quite wonderful. You're close to the ceiling so you're close to a reflection so it's good, vibrant sound. I actually like the sound better up there than I do too close to the stage since the sound can naturally blend in the space. 

I sometimes splurge and get the balcony boxes if they're available. You're a level lower and a lot closer to the stage. It's a weird vantage point - a third of the stage is cut off from view and you're at an odd angle. But the sound is good and the price isn't too bad - the closer you are to the stage, the more of it will be cut off so that's the trade off. 

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#3Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 12:16pm

Completely agree with Temms.  The sound is great but you feel detached from the opera on the stage.  Since the plot is so slow in The Ring and you really are going for the sound you are fine sitting up in Family Circle.  The set is huge so you are gong to see that even if you sit in Avery Fisher and you do not want to miss the effects which you will in the balcony.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 12:28pm

I've sat up there many times. The sound is extraordinary. I always bring my opera glasses (actually, lightweight binoculars), because I like to zoom in for close-ups during arias.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#5Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 12:31pm

It is without question the part of the house with the best sound quality.  

theatremelvin94
#6Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 2:36pm

Thanks to you all!

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#7Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 6:48pm

During the early 80's I stood at the back of the family circle three or four times a week. The sound is glorious up there. Just bring opera glasses and you will be fine.

VintageSnarker
#8Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:24pm

"I've sat up there many times. The sound is extraordinary. I always bring my opera glasses (actually, lightweight binoculars), because I like to zoom in for close-ups during arias."

Well, since we're talking about it I might as well ask... All my tickets this season are in the family circle. How well can you see faces and get a sense of the performance (acting, I mean) with binoculars?

#9Family Circle view at the Met Opera
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:59pm

i've sat all over the opera house and the sound in family circle is not a problem at all. As everyone else has said, binoculars/opera glasses are mandatory up there if you want to see faces. To answer your question, VintageSnarker, it depends on the magnification of the binoculars. I personally bring 8x-10x for family circle. 4x might be fine but I personally only use that when i get closer seats. I think most opera glasses are in the 4x range so check what you have.

Videos