News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#1Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 7:30pm

Did anyone see this? I ran into the the recording at Colony and seriously had no clue this existed. How was she? How was the production? Did race matter? What was changed? It's imperative that I know.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 7:40pm

This was back in 1985. Bob Fosse mounted this revival of his show in Los Angeles. It was a carbon-copy recreation of his original 1966 Broadway staging, with some tweaking in the original costume design for the Fan Dango Ballroom ladies. Gwen Verdon took charge of the production, which he supervised. Bebe Neuwirth played Nikkie, and played Charity when Debbie was out. Allison Williams played Helene. Nothing racial was altered in the book whatsoever, and yes...Oscar was white -- played by Michael Rupert.

Due to Debbie's sensational athletic dancing style, Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon enhanced some of the original choreography for her -- such as in the "I'm a Brass Band" number. As for her performance in the role, she gave Charity a slight goofy essence, which endeared you to her quickly. The pathos the character goes thru towards the end of the show was quite effective.

A few months later, in 1986, the production opened on Broadway at the Minskoff Theatre. Bebe Neuwirth and Michael Rupert both won Tony Awards for their performances. After Debbie left, she was sourly replaced by Fosse muse Ann Reinking.

#2re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 7:59pm

I heard some say that Allen never really caught, physically, the "Fosse style" as brilliant as she is. Wasnt' there also some drama about her leaving soon? I know it opened and was seen as a big hit--especially due to Big Deal being a flop--and then closed pretty quickly though I think it toured a long time. (this is going by memory from the Razzle Dazzle book)

I woulda loved ot have seen it thoug--I've heard so much about theoriginal physical production--how some scenes opened up like a camera iris (?) and other aspects but I can never find any pictures that show what the overall set looked like--just close ups of various actors--anyone know any?

Also werent' there some changes to the score?? I'd love to hear that rare recording but I swear at least one song was new or changed or dropped.

E

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 8:01pm

The only major changes that took place were with the music. They used the movie melody for the title song. Cy Coleman rewrote the lyrics and melody of I'M THE BRAVEST INDIVIDUAL, and gave it a funky rap sound.

And for the cast recording they funkified many of the other songs. But that was under Cy Coleman's discretion. It's been said he loved changing things for cast recordings of his scores.

Updated On: 3/29/07 at 08:01 PM

AuditioningWaitress
#4re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 8:22pm

You can hear Michael Rupert's version of "Sweet Charity" via his Myspace page.
Michael Rupert's Myspace page

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 8:23pm

The recording isn't rare anymore as it was recently re-released on CD:

SWEET CHARITY (1986 Broadway Revival Recording):

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Charity-Cy-Coleman/dp/B000BJNTTY/ref=sr_1_4/104-3116034-1000722?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1175214128&sr=1-4

#6re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 8:25pm

FUnkified? RAP? Serious? Now I need to hear this--though I migth cringe. Still a "taxi dancer" was hard enough to buy in 1967 but updated to 1985?? Or was onlyt he music updated :S

I sorta liek the oh so 60s use of the movie Sweet Charity in the movie but as a song it seems the original tune would work way better on stage--odd...

Also was Charity's Soliloque kept? I think that was the number that Gwen habitually dropped (and jesus I had no idea the cast album was reissued--surprising)

#7re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 8:27pm

Wow listening to that Michael ruper track--I like the new tune more than I did from the movie but wow even there it sounds OH SO 80s! as does the cover for the CD--so was it transposed? even with oh so 60s moments like the Frug? (one of the Amazon comments says that Where Am i going is now a soaring synth song)

And some of these new orchestrations wer eonly for the CD not on stage??

I'll have to buy this though the original Gwen CD is one of my all time fave cast albums.

Now that we can post Youtube--here's a great clip of Gwen and Debbie dancing on Fame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFr4tBnXJ38 Updated On: 3/29/07 at 08:27 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 8:31pm

Charity's Soliloquy was cut.

The Applegate revival was the first professional production of the show to restore the song since the original production.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#9re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:02pm

The production was still set in the '60s, and Debbie Allen was very good - she was kind of goofy and endearing. It opened in New York in April, 1986, and she stayed with it until the late fall. Reinking took over, and she wasn't as bad as people say she was - and she did do the Fosse choreography better than Allen did. But Reinking wasn't the draw they thought she would be, and the show closed in March of 1987. Donna McKechnie did the tour. By all accounts she was splendid in the role.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

VIETgrlTerifa
#10re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:06pm

I actually liked the movie's rendition of the title song over the original Bway version.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

sondhead
#11re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:07pm

This recording isn't rare and while he did make Bravest Individual quite funky, there is nothing even close to a "rap" sound anywhere in it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:11pm

Rap sounded a lot different in the 80's. It obviously isn't a rap song, but the way Debbie annunciates the verses, it certainly has a rap quality.

Just like the Witch's Raps in INTO THE WOODS. They aren't rap songs, but the the rhythm's etc are certainly styled to be performed like a rap.

#13re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:19pm

I'll have to buy this--it's got me quite curious. Was any number from it performed on the TOnys?

and once again anyone know of any pics that show the basic set designs or stage picture for this or the original?

I grew up with rap in the 80s and am not sure it was all that different though it was more "party rap" overall--but I think I get what you mean by some rap inflections

#14re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:20pm

I'll have to buy this--it's got me quite curious. Was any number from it performed on the TOnys?

and once again anyone know of any pics that show the basic set designs or stage picture for this or the original?

I grew up with rap in the 80s and am not sure it was all that different though it was more "party rap" overall--but I think I get what you mean by some rap inflections

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:21pm

Well, technically "Charity's Soliloquy" was cut during the original run of SWEET CHARITY--I think it was mostly due to Verdon being rather weak, but I still love that number and don't see why it was cut from the national tour, the film, and the revival.
The major tragedy that goes along with this revival is Bob Fosse's premature death. I believe it was the national tour that was supposed to open in D.C. the day he died (if I remember Donna McKechnie's autobiography correctly). I've heard that McKechnie should've replaced Allen, not Ann Reinking.
As much as I admire Ms.Reinking, I don't see her being a likable Charity for one second. McKechnie seems like a natural for the role though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#16re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:22pm

The only pictures I've ever seen are on the insert for the CD and they're incredibly tiny.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#17re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:23pm

Debbie Allen did about a minute of "I'm a Brass Band" on the Tonys.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

husk_charmer
#18re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:27pm

Did anyone catch Bebe in the role? Because I can't see her being warm enough for it.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ray-andallthatjazz86
#19re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:27pm

I've seen that clip on youtube, why was it so short, Smaxie?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:30pm

Bebe won the Tony as Nickie.

I've heard on all account she was simply wonderful in the role.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#21re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:31pm

husk, there are clips of Bebe doing some of Charity's songs on youtube from the BCEFA concert. I think there might be clips of Debbie too.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:33pm

There's an amazing mind-blowing clip of Donna McKechnie, Chita Rivera, and Bebe Neuwirth dancing "There's Gotta Be Something Better than This" from that concert.
I can't think of anyone more right for Nikkie than Neuwirth (except for Ms.Gallagher of course).

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#23re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:33pm

I was about to mention the BCEFA youtube clips, they're fantastic. (Am I allowed to mention them?)

And I looove that Tony performance, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24re: Debbie Allen as Sweet Charity
Posted: 3/29/07 at 9:38pm

That was the last of the Alexander Cohen-Hildy Parks Tony ceremonies, when the Tonys would have an annual theme. They had a tribute to something like 40 years of Broadway musicals, so it was a particularly packed broadcast. Sweet Charity was featured in the line-up with that brief clip. The revival category was still combined with play and musical nominees in the same category, and the inclusion of performances from the Musical Revival nominees only became a regular practice a few years later, especially when Revival of a Play and Revival of a Musical became two categories.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 3/29/07 at 09:38 PM

Videos