News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Could 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?- Page 8

Could 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#175Could 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 12:03am

Almost starting to lose hope. Trying not to though.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#176Could 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 1:43am

I think the Jacobs is a solid-bet. It's a big enough house. Good location. And I can't imagine the new cast will generate much box office buzz.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#177 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 1:55am

Almost starting to lose hope. Trying not to though.

ljay, don't it's happening at this point either the Lyceum or Jacobs is what I am hearing from my industry friend as they are still working on logistics for choice of theater...

Tickets are only being sold till March 8 for Disgraced @ the Lyceum so The Visit could be the next show there hopefully this spring :)
as tickets are being sold for It's only a Play till March 29 which does not give The Visit a lot of time to load in @the Jacobs if Play closes on the 29th of March and to have enough tech-preview time yet alone open before the TONY deadline on April 23, so we all anxiously await the announcement!
Also, the verdict is still out there on what happens after JCM leaves Hedwig @the Belasco...will he be replaced, extend after his 8 week contract or close? How long will Les Mis last @ the Imperial till the spring or?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 12/31/14 at 01:55 AM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#178 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 2:14am

i just hope they don't kick out Disgraced if it is still generating money. I think the stop clause is a horrible thing, i am still not over jordan roth kicking out Side Show even though the producers still wanted to keep it running. Hopefully it can squeeze into the Schoenfeld after Its only a Play, but that seems really tough since they are open until the end of March. It would take weeks for them to unload its only a play and then built the set for The Visit, and then of course tech the whole thing. Hopefully it can work out without Its Only a Play closing early. When is the Tony deadline? Also, what show is going into the Helen Hayes?? That theatre is in desperate need or a full renovation.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

neonlightsxo
#179 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 9:34am

"i just hope they don't kick out Disgraced if it is still generating money."

You obviously don't look at the grosses. It isn't. It made less than 400k on xmas week.

Phillypinto
#180 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 10:32am

thats why i said IF. and even if its not generating money, and the producers want to keep it open, i don't think they should be forced out of the theatre just because another show wants to come in. The stop clause is awful IMO

binau Profile Photo
binau
#181 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 12:49pm

The problem is that most producers won't actually want to keep going at a loss and they'll close the show, which at an inconvenient time could prevent another show coming in and leaving the theatre vacant.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#182 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 12/31/14 at 1:20pm

I can't imagine Disgraced is doing too terribly. It's a small show. Small crew. They know they'll pick up some steam when the Tony noms come around, etc.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#183 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/1/15 at 1:32am

If they can, DISGRACED will surely try to stick it out til Tony time (like Gents Guide did) unless the grosses become truly awful. With Curious Incident going nowhere and high-profile shows coming in this spring (Larry David's play, Wolf Hall, Manhattan Theatre Club, etc), Disgraced won't want to be forgotten by Tony time (even though it won the pulitzer and had a good off-bway run)

neonlightsxo
#184 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/2/15 at 9:15am

I would argue making $393k during Xmas week is "truly awful."

Phillypinto
#185 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/2/15 at 11:11am

How much does it cost to do the show

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#186 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/2/15 at 4:39pm

Disgraced grosses are weakening week after week since it opened and Tony nominations don't come out till April 28 that's less than 4 months away... Doubtful this will last past the March 8th date that they are selling tickets till as The Visit will probably be the next show at the Lyceum unless the Belasco or Imperial becomes avail for the spring.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/2/15 at 04:39 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#188 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 7:13pm

Looks like The Visit is going to happen!

So exciting.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#189 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 8:27pm

I'm curious to see how The Visit will sell on Broadway. Any thoughts?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#190 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 8:31pm

I think Kelli O'Hara has some serious competition for that Tony.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#191 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 8:38pm

'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?

Watch out Kelli...Chita Rivera will be back on stage in her final appearance this Spring in a limited engagement in The Visit @ The Lyceum. Official announcement this week. :)

Updated On: 1/4/15 at 08:38 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#192 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 8:49pm

I'm so curious how this will do, too. Chita didn't ignite the box office on fire in her last appearance, but there wasn't much to be excited about in that role. Kander & Ebb's last outing at the Lyceum wasn't a success, but it had no stars, opened at a slow time of year, and had a more controversial subject matter IMO.

I wonder if the best way to market this show to appeal to a wide audience would be to make it seem like some kind of special, limited, once-in-lifetime event.

Chita Rivera (Chicago, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Mystery of Edwin Drood) makes her final, limited-time Broadway appearance in Kander & Ebb's (Chicago, Cabaret, Kiss of the Spider Woman) new musical The Visit.

Hope the posters, online marketing etc. do somehow reflect something of this as opposed to just displaying the artwork as per normal practice.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#193 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 10:27pm

I wonder if the best way to market this show to appeal to a wide audience would be to make it seem like some kind of special, limited, once-in-lifetime event.
Chita Rivera (Chicago, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Mystery of Edwin Drood) makes her final, limited-time Broadway appearance in Kander & Ebb's (Chicago, Cabaret, Kiss of the Spider Woman) new musical The Visit

---

Broadway Legend Chita Rivera
in her final appearance on Broadway for a limited engagement
in the new musical ~ The Visit ~ from Kander & Ebb
the creators of Cabaret, Chicago & Kiss of the Spider Woman

Updated On: 1/4/15 at 10:27 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#194 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 10:29pm

Don't forget Roger Rees. He's a Tony winning/Emmy nominated actor and a familiar face from Cheers.
Getting so excited for this....

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#195 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 10:31pm

I just can not get past how beautiful the set design is for this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#196 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 10:32pm

The set is shocking in person. Just so damn impressive.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#197 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 10:48pm

The Visit @ WTF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1lHWH7FLs

Updated On: 1/4/15 at 10:48 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#198 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 11:15pm

The artwork reminds me of Dexter, lol.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#199 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 11:36pm

Do I think this is going to be a big sell on Broadway? No, not really. But I think the producers, cast, and creatives are aware of that. They're not trying to bring in the next massive open ended show. They know the show has drawn mixed reviews in its other forms and tryouts, but they feel confident enough to bring it crowds for a limited engagement. It'll be a short run that is dependent on the theater community for success. And in that sense, they'll succeed. I know of very few people who are actively involved in the community who aren't rooting for this. On top of that, the people who are familiar with the show are intrigued. It's been nearly 15 years of workshops and reworkings to get it from what was shown in Chicago to what WTF presented.

And I'll say that I wasn't even totally blown away by the show at WTF they way others were. I thought it was a highly acceptable show with some fabulous bits. I'm personally rooting for the show because I like an underdog and I want to see Chita give it one more go. Seeing her in Drood made me hope she had one more in her. The show is Chita Rivera's last hurrah tied up in a beautiful package. No one will deny that. But it's also our last chance to hear a new Kander and Ebb work on Broadway. The significance of that is huge.

Videos