News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Company Today (2 oclock show)

bwaybabe3
#1Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:06pm

Let's just say I've never seen a Sondheim show on stage. I don't know what to say... I'm in awe. After the show everyone was on their phones telling people how amazing it was, so maybe it won't close! I don't know the logistics of money and shows... but if there are a surge of ticket sales will it stay open? More about the show now...

Everyone was on their game. It was brilliant. I sat first row (student rush) along with other students. The audience gave Raul loooots of applause after being alive, and he got a nice long standing ovation after the show. Does he usually take a very very very long time with the opening of being alive? He replayed the first chords a lot. This is probably normal, just checking! I am so glad i saw this wondefful work before it closed. I am in awe of the direction and ability of the actors, and can't wait to see what they all do next, although I'd rather see this show again :)

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#2re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:15pm

Saving a show after it posts closing is literally impossible, especially with 2 1/2 weeks notice like this. If Sweeney for instance, which I believe had close to two months notice, had a surge in sales something may have been possible. The most we can look forward to is having packed houses right up until closing.

Yes, the opening chords are always played multiple times.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:16pm

Yeah; that's Bobby's big moment. He's always hesitant with it. It would be wrong for Bobby just to jump in and take that big leap without the slighest bit of apprehension. It's hard for him, but he goes forth with it anyway.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

natscookiejar Profile Photo
natscookiejar
#3re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:34pm

hey, i want to student rush for next wed. show. what is a good time to get to the theatre for a ticket? thanks

luvtheEmcee
#4re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:39pm

Matinee or night?

ben4
#5re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:45pm

Could someone take me to see Company?

Seriously, i would so give anything to see this show right now. I'll clean your dishes or do your laundry.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#6re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:01pm

i would if i were back in ny...luv to see it again

bwaybabe3
#7re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:40pm

i got there at ten - assuming there would be a line before the box office opened at 12. however, i just walked in and asked a guy where the student rush line was forming (the place was deserted) and he just gave me a ticket right then. Basically I walked around TImesquare until the show... but it was alllllllllllll worth it!!!

About the chord playing
I know it should be a lot, and I know what he's about to do... but this was A LOT. I dont know I think it was normal and I think his crying was normal... but it had to be at least... hmm maybe 10 times that he stopped and took a big breath and played a few more.... He's so incredible... anyways sorry about the gushing

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#8re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:44pm

"i got there at ten - assuming there would be a line before the box office opened at 12. however, i just walked in and asked a guy where the student rush line was forming (the place was deserted) and he just gave me a ticket right then."

That's because the box office opens at 10, not 12. You got there just in time.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

luvtheEmcee
#9re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:48pm

Given what went down last night, maybe he was just a little more emotional than usual. I mean, hell, I'm spent just from witnessing it.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#10re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:16pm

Bwaybabe3 - I was there, too. Raul is normally hesitant in the beginning of "Being Alive" - after all, playing an instrument is a breakthrough for him - but he was especially slow today. There was that one long pause before he started the chords again that was longer than I have seen before, and he was crying much more than I had previously seen. This was a fabulous performance to be at - I was so happy to be there!

misschung
#11re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:23pm

keen, you went today instead of the other show? I was wondering what today's matinée would be like given last night's performance.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

bwaybabe3
#12re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:27pm

well the website says it opens two hour before the show, and the show was at two so i assumed i had to be there by 12...

glad to know that there were extra tears.. I almost cried myself re: Company Today (2 oclock show)

keen on kean
#13re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:34pm

misschung - I had a ticket for LoveMusik but I just can't get past that force field in front of the Barrymore! I gave the LoveMusik ticket to a friend of mine, so it didn't go to waste.

I was a little worried that, after that amazing night last night, the COMPANY cast wouldn't be able to deliver but boy, did they ever! The orchestra was completely full, the audience was very demonstrative, and everyone gave it their all, especially Raul.

misschung
#14re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:37pm

lol the forcefield. I'm wondering if, now that the cat is officially out of the bag with the show's closing, if they find it at all easier to perform and are making each moment count - more so than they usually do, of course. Not that they would be happy that its closing, but do you know what I mean?

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

keen on kean
#15re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:45pm

I think it is inevitable that each show becomes more precious once you know the end is coming soon. I don't think for a moment that this cast ever gave less than 100% - but now each show brings them closer to the last one. They all seem so genuinely bonded - I was so touched when Kelly Jeanne Grant told me that she cries during "Being Alive." I guess it never dawned on me that the effect these performers have on us the audience, they also have on each other because everyone is there on stage the whole time.

misschung
#16re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:56pm

Yeah, I shouldn't even use the word 'easier' with that material, but you explained it better than I did. Last night the look on all their faces during and after Being Alive killed me. I know what you mean, I cant imagine how it feels to be a part of something like that. I'm sure moments like Being Alive are just heightened in certain ways that must be extraordinary. You can see it when Raul watches Barbara even, last night it looked like he was crying at one point, but it was hard to tell.

luvtheEmcee
#17re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:11pm

I love the way the direction allows them all to feed off of each other, even when only a few of them are in a scene. It's literally what Company is all about, I think.

It seemed as though they were all as surprised as we were last night. It was beautiful, though; I'm glad I was there.

FindingNamo
#18re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:15pm

Two points bwaybabe: You and your student rush friends don't help the show's financial situation at all. And do you mean to say that literally EVERYBODY got on their cellphones after the show and did a phone tree to tell everybody that they were amazed? Didn't anybody just stroll out and get a piece of cheesecake after the show?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

luvtheEmcee
#19re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:17pm

Oh Namo. re: Company Today (2 oclock show)

misschung
#20re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:24pm

cheesecake?
no, but a lot of lit up their cigarettes right away....while I watched re: Company Today (2 oclock show) does that count?

ben1986 Profile Photo
ben1986
#21re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:25pm

Student rush may not help the financial aspect of the show, but I remember Amy Justman, she plays Susan, telling me once how even though the audience may not be great, they get energized by seeing the front row. Why? Because there are all these students who are in awe of this great show and that energy feeds to everyone on stage.

FindingNamo
#22re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:49pm

You can't eat energy, honey.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

bwaybabe3
#23re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:53pm

whatever, I'm just thankful I saw it!

keen on kean
#24re: Company Today (2 oclock show)
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:57pm

You can't eat energy but I have always thought that a row of students with enthusiasm beats a row of bored suburbanites checking their train schedules.

Videos