News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Broadway Museum?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1Broadway Museum?
Posted: 7/19/14 at 7:12pm

Have there ever been talks of doing a Broadway Museum? I'm sure producers/actors/etc have things they'd be willing to donate if someone would or could fork over the cash to open it.

Updated On: 7/19/14 at 07:12 PM

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#2Broadway Museum?
Posted: 7/19/14 at 11:47pm

This is actually my life goal. I am pursuing a major in musical theater with a minor in history with hopes of opening a musical theater museum in my later years.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#2Broadway Museum?
Posted: 7/19/14 at 11:55pm

That would be spectacular. There is so much great memorabilia out there in libraries and private collections, but it is so tedious to get to (if you even can) and you often need some sort of research reason. It would be nice to just be able to go and see it.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#3Broadway Museum?
Posted: 7/20/14 at 12:34am

Yeah that is what I hope to do: ask around to anybody in the business or relatives of deceased actors etc. to gather a large collection of artifacts and memorabilia to be held in a mixed media type museum that includes a limited version of the theater archives at Lincoln center video wise.

itseemssobeautiful Profile Photo
itseemssobeautiful
#4Broadway Museum?
Posted: 7/20/14 at 2:23am

There was one being planned for the past 2 years up until about 2 months ago, and then the idea was scrapped.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#5Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 12:12am

bump.

Now that the TIMES SQUARE THEATRE has been abandoned by developers once again... don't you think it would be the PERFECT spot for the Broadway Museum... or should it be called THE MUSEUM OF AMERICAN THEATRE?!?

http://www.new42.org/Projects-And-Theaters 

Kill 2 birds with one stone. It's sad that this historic theatre sits empty... and it's sad that Broadway still doesn't have a proper museum. 

... apparently the Minskoff was once a Broadway museum for a short time... per this article published in 1982: 

http://www.csmonitor.com/1982/0329/032901.html

Updated On: 5/7/15 at 12:12 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 12:58am

I thought,before being renovated,the New Amsterdam would have made a perfect home.

Record those musicals never recorded plus those that died out of town The goal would be an ambitious one. Part of the exhibit would be the ability to sit and listen to any musical ever conceived,written or performed. The Times Square would be a perfect home

Poster Emeritus

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#7Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 6:41am

It's unfortunately a very tough thing to do without a generous subsidy.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#8Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 8:03am

Roxy, you can already do that at the Lincoln Center Library...

Eurotrash, it would take A LOT of cash, grants, funds, donations, galas... but someone has to get the ball rolling at some point...

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#9Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 8:17am

I think any such project should be a Hall of Fame with annual inductions to keep up the visibility.  Of course, it would be televised/streamed like the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 9:56am

To Madonna

Lincoln Center library is not for the unwashed masses. You can not just walk in and access it. Not all shows are recorded there. I meant audio recordings. In addition, LC does not have shows not produced or those that closed out of town.

Poster Emeritus

broadwaysfguy
#11Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 10:02am

mr roxy

as one of the unwashed masses (at least as of 7am this morning), how does one access  the lincoln center video library if you are not part of the industry?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 10:09am

There are certain qualifications and restrictions. Others on the board know the details. The bottom line is you or I can not just walk off the street and view them.

Poster Emeritus

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#13Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 10:57am

There was a very small Broadway Museum in the 1980's across from the doors into the Minskoff Theatre. It featured costumes and a few notable set pieces and props. Every time I went through it I always wanted someone to fund a larger space so more could be displayed.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#14Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 1:24pm

The last time I was at the Lincoln Center Library (quite a few years ago), they asked me to "state my purpose" for admission. I was doing research for a show I was writing, and that was all it took to gain admittance. I think if you are working on a project of any kind, they'll let you in. They didn't ask me to prove anything.

That said, don't expect to watch any full videos of Broadway shows. Most of those are very restricted and you have to apply for permission to view them - which you are unlikely to get without a compelling reason.

Updated On: 5/7/15 at 01:24 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#15Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 2:28pm

The museum sure is a great idea. For the few months it was on view and even though it was just scratching the surface, I loved the Broadway exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York.

SFFrontRow
#16Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 4:33pm

Not sure of the exact requirements, but to get access to Lincoln Center you have to be a working theater professional and working on a project that would pertain to whatever show video you wish to view.

As was posted to Roxy, us great unwashed masses are not really welcome to just peruse the video library (oh, that we could).

Try looking on YouTube which has full shows clandestinely video'd on a phone, old relics from prior television broadcasts (Applause was the first one I had found) and every Tony Awards show in its entirety from first TV broadcast to the 2014 show).

One other video suggestion, there is also the Museum of Television and Radio on 52nd Street. It has a wealth of videos of all sorts, and some pretty good Broadway or theater related shows. That is a great way to spend a raining afternoon when visiting NYC.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#17Broadway Museum?
Posted: 5/7/15 at 5:10pm

I helped run an arts museum for 5 years, before we went bust. It's no small feat to get it up and running, and then maintain it. Even having the passion to start it isn't enough, if that passion isn't carried over to the unglamorous world of grant-writing, schmoozing donors, etc.

All that bitterness aside, I hope this to be a thing someday!

Videos